Vintage CDPs selling for too much?
Mar 13, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Been browsing the vintage CDPs on eBay, and it seems to me many of them are selling for too much. Adcom GCD-575 for $215.51, Rotel RCD-975 for $224.50, to name a couple. I don't get why these players are going for over $200... we're talking early 90s players and in some cases (like the Adcom) 1980s players. I've also noticed the lower end Denon DCD series (e.g. DCD-620) selling for more than they're probably worth.

I was thinking at first it was people looking mainly for transports, but some of these models don't even have digital outs. IMO most of them are probably not worth more than $100... what gives?

OK, I know the argument that the market rises to meet demand, blah blah but don't people realize most of these units are reaching the end of their lifespans (and repairs are expensive or impossible due to parts discontinuation), not to mention the DACs are ancient?

BTW, I'm speaking as an owner of a Rotel RCD-855 that I enjoy a lot (and paid $105, which I consider on the upper end of a fair price for these players, to be honest). Why would people pay $225 for a late 80's player, when you could get a used Onix XCD-88 for about that price?
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 11

Tungsten

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Posts
137
Likes
0
Yes I agree. There are some very overpriced old CDP's on ebay, machines that are old, with dubious life expectancies. Curious indeed.

I put it down to people not understanding that the laser’s have a finite number of operating hours. Not to mention the other components. It could also be due to an exaggerated perception of “older is better”…

PCDP’s seem way overpriced too, way out there in their own little universe, crazy. Certain top line Sony models from 1989 come to mind
tongue.gif


I wonder how many old D-33's will be operating in another 10 years? Interesting.
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 11

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten
PCDP’s seem way overpriced too, way out there in their own little universe, crazy. Certain top line Sony models from 1989 come to mind
tongue.gif


I wonder how many old D-33's will be operating in another 10 years? Interesting.



At least D33s sell for under $25 in most cases... how about those insane prices for the "classics" like Denon DCP-150 etc. I wouldn't pay over $100 for a PCDP no matter how good it's supposed to sound, unless maybe it was NOS and I could verify that. Even then, it seems silly to pay over $100, or even over $50 for most of them.
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 11

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Joined
Jan 19, 2002
Posts
8,675
Likes
26
Location
The Elm City
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I wouldn't pay over $100 for a PCDP no matter how good it's supposed to sound, unless maybe it was NOS and I could verify that. Even then, it seems silly to pay over $100, or even over $50 for most of them.


You mean like this one?
 
Mar 15, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 11

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
You mean like this one?


I thought the moderators had a gripe with me about that sale after Voodoochile bumped his original sale thread for no reason, but what really surprises me is the backhanded way they're "letting me know" about it. I had thought more of the moderation team here at head-fi, but I guess it was a case of overestimation. Ahh well, on to eBay then...

P.S. I didn't pay more than $50 for the PCDP in question, and the statement you quoted stands exactly as I wrote it.
 
Mar 22, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 11

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Joined
Sep 13, 2002
Posts
4,882
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I thought the moderators had a gripe with me about that sale after Voodoochile bumped his original sale thread for no reason, but what really surprises me is the backhanded way they're "letting me know" about it.


That thread wasn't bumped for no reason. It was bumped because I received several messages asking if that was actually the same player in question. What you do with the player is your concern at this point, not mine.
 
Mar 23, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 11

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
That thread wasn't bumped for no reason. It was bumped because I received several messages asking if that was actually the same player in question. What you do with the player is your concern at this point, not mine.


So the end result was that you had two "Sold" messages in a row at the bottom of the thread, and also the thread was high on the "New Posts" search for about five minutes... I don't get it.
confused.gif
 
Mar 23, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 11

Filburt

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Posts
2,411
Likes
11
I've been watching the prices for a couple years now, and it seems it may fluctuate over time. Let's see what happens later this year before coming to any formal conclusions about it...

That said, I agree that things are getting rather pricey. Fortunately, I've managed to get most of my collection for generally fairly reasonable costs; some deals better than others. I agree, I don't really think they're worth $100+.
 
Mar 23, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 11

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Joined
Sep 13, 2002
Posts
4,882
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
So the end result was that you had two "Sold" messages in a row at the bottom of the thread, and also the thread was high on the "New Posts" search for about five minutes... I don't get it.
confused.gif



As I said, I bumped it to avert further inquiries asking if it was the same player, for whatever that is worth. And it seemed to work, I got no further questions on this.

I'm not one to blow off anyone's PM, but I also do not care to answer redundant questions about an item I previously sold. I'm sorry if you don't get it. That said, the title of this very thread is rather ironic, considering the circumstances, and I'd imagine that the title, coupled with the history of the PCDP in question, had pretty much everything to do with bringing this about.

I listed it for sale, and you bought it. I thought I was done. You list it for sale a couple months later at a price point in great disparity with what was paid, even specifying that you bought the item from me recently. I received several inquiries as to whether this was the same player... likely sparked by the rather large difference in price. The difference in price does, IMO, make you wonder if it is indeed the same player.

The fact that you include a stand would indicate that you expect more than the player alone would command, but considering that you posted in the public forum that you paid one dollar for the stand does not help your situation, regardless of how unusual it may be. I see that you have edited that information out of that post on this past Tuesday, the 21st. I did check on that post when I started receiving these inquiries out of curiosity, and sure enough, you mentioned that you paid $1, plus shipping. Why you have chosen to go back and delete that information... only you know. I feel safe with the presumption that it was to assist you in selling the stand/player/combination. You will notice that your original post was quoted by user Onix, so the price is still listed in the thread: "It's made of solid steel, with a nice finish... must weigh about 5 pounds. Cost to me was $1.00 plus actual shipping."

Speaking of editing past posts, I also see that you started a thread inquiring into making money off other members, which was then edited (thankfully) to avoid any ensuing flame war. Sorry to bring this up, but you said "I don't get it.
confused.gif
" Between withdrawing the PCDP sale; relisting the stand alone; deleting the posted price you paid for the stand; and finally starting a thread asking about making money off each other- only to then close it; and now this 'vintage PCDPs selling for too much' thread... it sounds to me like you are facing some sort of moral dilemma, perhaps. I really don't know.

I don't wish you any ill will, fewtch. I'm sure you can do very well on ebay with these items, as you have already mentioned.
 
Mar 23, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 11

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
9,559
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
I listed it for sale, and you bought it. I thought I was done. You list it for sale a couple months later at a price point in great disparity with what was paid, even specifying that you bought the item from me recently. I received several inquiries as to whether this was the same player... likely sparked by the rather large difference in price. The difference in price does, IMO, make you wonder if it is indeed the same player.


I've never sold the PCDP by itself for a high price (it was w/stand), but to be honest I think your price was very low for a player that looks this nice and has a wireless remote, original box, manual and all accessories. I'd probably ask $75 or so for it if I sold it individually, then drop the price gradually if nobody was interested.

Do I think that's too much to pay for a PCDP (as per an earlier post?) I probably wouldn't pay it myself, but I know there are some people who feel $75 is *not* too much for a good vintage PCDP, particularly one this reliable and with a wireless remote. Does that sound reasonable?

Fwiw, I bought the player from you to listen to, not to re-sell. I did listen awhile, and recently acquired a Rotel RCD-855 standalone player. I've got too many players now, so it's time for one of them to go. As I'm extremely low on funds right now (I might REALLY be eating Top Ramen the last week of this month) I figured the Kenwood had the best chance of selling for a decent price.

Quote:

The fact that you include a stand would indicate that you expect more than the player alone would command, but considering that you posted in the public forum that you paid one dollar for the stand does not help your situation, regardless of how unusual it may be.


If you say so. To me, it's obvious that $1.00 is a "throwaway" price and the only reason I got it for that was because of an eBay "luck out" situation that bears no resemblance to reality. But I guess you're right, some people will miss that.

Quote:

I see that you have edited that information out of that post on this past Tuesday, the 21st. I did check on that post when I started receiving these inquiries out of curiosity, and sure enough, you mentioned that you paid $1, plus shipping. Why you have chosen to go back and delete that information... only you know.


Obviously, because some dummy is going to PM me and get all outraged that I'd dare to ask a higher price than what I paid for it.
rolleyes.gif


Anyway, because of a possible delicate situation due to (A) you bumping the original sale thread and (potentially) making me look like a bad guy for wanting more than your original selling price, and (B) an undercurrent from the moderators I'm sensing, I will sell it on eBay rather than here (if I sell it at all). I've definitely enjoyed listening to it, but it's unlikely I'll have a use for it now that the Rotel is sitting next to my bed (and I'm dead broke).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
Between withdrawing the PCDP sale; relisting the stand alone; deleting the posted price you paid for the stand; and finally starting a thread asking about making money off each other- only to then close it; and now this 'vintage PCDPs selling for too much' thread... it sounds to me like you are facing some sort of moral dilemma, perhaps. I really don't know.


Between all the events you mention... I think I'm just completely confused.
tongue.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top