Vinnie Rossi LIO - Ultracapacitor-Powered, Modular Hi-Fi System is here!
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #106 of 118
Lookie here:

http://headphone.guru/vinnie-rossi-lio-modular-audio-system/

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #109 of 118
LIO with AVC tubestage, Mosfet, Headphone amp with balanced input, DAC.  Using a modded Beyerdyanmic T1, with a removable balanced cable by BTG Audio.  Using Roon fed to a squeezebox touch as an endpoint.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #111 of 118
Looks like I have the same configuration - except for the Mosfet. I haven't been able to use my T1 as it's not balanced but my HD800 sounds great, maybe missing a little bit of low end. I'm very curious to see how the new HD800S will sound with the LIO.

If your HD800 are stock then bass is their weakest spot but properly modded they are great

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #113 of 118
I'm surprised there hasn't been more conversation on this.  I've never seen so much positive press on a system to then not have much conversation here.  The forum reviews have been pretty limited.

Any news on the clear top?

Any hints at what options are coming next?

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #114 of 118
Hi tme110,

I am no longer a headfi sponsor, so I believe it would violate the rules for me to continue to post about LIO
here on HeadFi.

Any hints at what options are coming next?

Our website has a link to our active user forum, where we cover this and more.

All the best,

Vinnie

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #115 of 118
I heard the LIO in the past, but only just recently I heard it with the tube stage...
Excellent choice of tubes as DHT is the best type of tube, but wow using it so cool!
Impressive finesse in usage of low operating point(!)

I heard Oleg unit and my face was in state of disbelief because of the impressive synergy with the HD800..
Nuanced delicate full range clarity without a trace of solid state sound or any type of fault .

With that tubestage it was one of the best pairings (with hd800) I have heard.
Seems like a different animal now,
being a very musical TOTL gear.
Both HD800 we tried were modded for top end spectrum, but the impressive feature was also the low end control and sound coming from the LIO.
Very nice and noticeable extension and nuance.
The HD800 low end was not anemic but satisfying.

The power source to feed all this seems superior to any batteries as well.
Extremely clean nuanced sound to showcase what the HD800 can do..

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #116 of 118
I heard the LIO in the past, but only just recently I heard it with the tube stage...
Excellent choice of tubes as DHT is the best type of tube, but wow using it so cool!
Impressive finesse in usage of low operating point(!)

I heard Oleg unit and my face was in state of disbelief because of the impressive synergy with the HD800..
Nuanced delicate full range clarity without a trace of solid state sound or any type of fault .

With that tubestage it was one of the best pairings (with hd800) I have heard.
Seems like a different animal now,
being a very musical TOTL gear.
Both HD800 we tried were modded for top end spectrum, but the impressive feature was also the low end control and sound coming from the LIO.
Very nice and noticeable extension and nuance.
The HD800 low end was not anemic but satisfying.

The power source to feed all this seems superior to any batteries as well.
Extremely clean nuanced sound to showcase what the HD800 can do..

ac no matter how regulated is dirty as hell... as an electrical engineer i'm very impressed by what's going on with this LIO and looking forward to where it goes.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #117 of 118
Very interesting.  I used to have DAC from Vinnie 5 years ago, running on internal battery in those days (before his ultra capacitors new tech), and it sounded very good ! 

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #118 of 118
It is crazy how the Lio page here just stopped in 2016. Very few impressions on Head-fi. I really am interested in this item as there are a couple of them used, but it is troubling that there is nothing for the last 7 years here on head-fi. There are quite a few impressions on other sites….but almost nothing comparing this item to other stand alone preamps or headphone amps. Anybody still use one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back