Vienna/Austria Meet October 17th 2015 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 28

Mr.bharat,

You probably don't quite realize that you are making history.  

5 Years from now, you'll look back at this and say something like "I was there at the beginning". 

Tony in Michigan

Hi Tony,

many thanks for your kind words -- you're of course more than welcome to join us at some time in the future! We'll leave out the headphones and concentrate on the drinks by then :wink:

But we're already going towards our third year... it's just that its very slowly gathering steam (first meet was 5 persons...).

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 28
I noticed a photo with the Fostex TH900, which I own, next to the new Beyer DT1770....any comparison from anyone?

Yes, both are mine... and while the TH900 is fun and very impressive in its capability to shake ones head, the DT1770 is overall more to my liking: more linear sounding, still very good bass but not overdone and fatiguing (as the TH900 is to me if I listen for longer), a bit softer treble. The DT1770 isolates better but may have a bit less soundstage.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 28
  Hello from the States,

Wonderful pictures, thank you for the view from Afar.

You seem to have a age spread in your group, not all 20-30 Year olds as is typical of here.

You even have Schiit & Chord stuff but mostly gear I don't quite recognize. 

Sennheiser is rather dominant in the States but I see plenty of other headphones with your lads. Schiit is everywhere at our Shows. 

I can read some of the Music labels but don't recognize any.  You even have CD players which are scarce if non existent in the States. And I see little Players aplenty. 

We don't seem to feature Spirits Consumption, at all, unlike you lucky folks, we should allow it here, we're still Tea-tottaling Puritans I suspect. 

Lovely Show, cozy even, windows open to get some fresh but everyone looks rather comfortable.

I think I like your show system a bit more than our typical meet style.   

Nice group, nice pictures, nice gear, happiness all-round. 

Maybe I miss Europe, a tiny bit. 

Tony in Michigan

Hello Tony,

Happy that you found this thread - your posts on head-fi and innerfidelity are always worth reading and entertaining.

I'm sure you would enjoy our Vienna Meets, there's not only a wide selection of toys but also friendly and knowledgeable people (even developers of legendary gear and possible future classics).

Schiit gear is a bit scarce here in Austria, mainly due to their distribution model, but I will try to organize some of their stuff for the next meet. It is probably too good to ignore. The contribution of Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat to this forum being another asset IMO.
AKG is something like the local hero in Vienna (they still have their HQ here) which may be the reason that their headphones are a common sight at the meets. Or it's just because @ampair brought his whole collection:)

All the best from Vienna.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #20 of 28
Yes, both are mine... and while the TH900 is fun and very impressive in its capability to shake ones head, the DT1770 is overall more to my liking: more linear sounding, still very good bass but not overdone and fatiguing (as the TH900 is to me if I listen for longer), a bit softer treble. The DT1770 isolates better but may have a bit less soundstage.

How about the mids comparison...I thought the Beyer would be better but apparently it's a weakness....so I walked away...

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 28
How about the mids comparison...I thought the Beyer would be better but apparently it's a weakness....so I walked away...

I have to admit that I'm not a mids-freak... voices (female as well as male) sound goot on the DT1770 though and are a bit more present than on the TH900. But maybe someone else with other genre-preferences can chime in on that aspect.

@tonykaz Yes, we span a rather large age region... a very welcome aspect to me: we have seasoned music and gear lovers and even people involved with creating headphones (both past and present) as well as many young people with a wide range of interests. The downside of the lively discussions that grow from this mixture is that it was a bit loud for listening to open headphones... so I think next time we'll leave our gear at home and just bring the drinks :wink:

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #22 of 28

Dear Viennese, 

Thank you for writing back to me.

AKG is local for you, I'd be an AKG fan too!  I should try some, maybe those with the red wire over the top.  

Now with headphones and 16/44 I feel consumers have the finest music reproduction possibilities, maybe 24 Bit is better but I can't tell.

Bon Vivant

Tony in MIchigan

ps.  Schiit is very inexpensive here, $250 US for an Asgard 2 ( California ) , it has Electrocompaniet Sound Quality levels so I "must" own it. I do like other electronics products like the Chord ( England ), Burson ( Australia ), JDS Labs ( St.Louis,  Cheap but superb ) and Bottlehead Crack ( Washington State, US ) tube Amp and the Sennheiser HD800 with matching Amp ( West Germany ).  I'm a little behind the times.!

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 28
Hi Folks,

First I thought about writing an entry on my blog, but then I decided to keep it inside the forum and post the PICs here.

A little late, but here are a few impressions from the Head-Fi Meet:

I'm looking forward to the next meet and hope that it will get even bigger than the last one and there will be even more interesting things to see! :)

Greetings,
KoRnasteniker

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #24 of 28
Congratulations on a successful meet. In Seattle we have quarterly meets, sometimes in private facilities where we can enjoy alcoholic libations, other times in public venues where alcohol is verboten. Most often we organize an after-meet at a local pub or restaurant where we discuss our impressions of the equipment heard and the music we were introduced to. We have had some truly exquisite brews at private functions courtesy of some of our local members, Sergio particularly offering up rarities. If you find yourself in our part of the world please make contact with us. Big Poppa and I organize local meets.
My grandmother emigrated from Vienna to Wisconsin. I visited Vienna some years ago. I heard Domingo in Otello at the Staatsoper, Beethoven Sym. No.6 under Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos in the Grosser Saal of the Konzerthaus and a fortepiano concert in one of the palais. I enjoyed visiting the many kaffeehaus locations during my stay.
Should I visit Vienna again, who may I contact in the Head-Fi community there regarding a meet?

Stan

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 28
Dec 5, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #27 of 28
Guys good news

I just ordered my New Custom IEMs and in the process i was able to meet Esther form Audienz. 

I invited her to the next meet and she would be able to get some sample/trial monitors of InEars/ACS customs and Vison ear for everyone to try.

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #28 of 28
well that very nice to hear!

we also do have a thread for the next upcoming meet:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/786114/8th-vienna-meet-january-february-201

maybe you also did not get noticed like many others due to notification issues

edit:
Oh, it is already mentioned above.. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back