Videogames with steep learning curves
Oct 30, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 38
Morrowind III: The Elder Scrolls is the same way. Very, very involved game with a completely non-linear plot. (For the most part other than the main plot which has an order to it.) It takes a bunch of times of playing the game before you get the idea of what you are doing and get good at it. I have completely restarted the game even after a week of playing one character after I learned something new.

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 38
It's a fun game to play (ESIII), but I kinda got bored of it when I bought Tribunal; Bloodmoon is supposed to be really good though, I may give it another try, I beat Morrowind by the way...Dagoth Ur is definetely ugly, SHEESH, and I found Azura's Star without even trying, I was like...pretty place...daedric...azura's star...what's this??...I looked it up REUSABLE SOUL GEM!!, nice--Good for those golden saints...

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #19 of 38
I don't like Morrowind because of the totally stupid battle system. You actually hit the enemy like 1 out of 50 times. It's so annoying. And many times you are endlessly walking for insane amounts of time. The walking doesn't bother me much, it's the fighting. Other than that, EXTREMELY complex game.

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
I don't like Morrowind because of the totally stupid battle system. You actually hit the enemy like 1 out of 50 times. It's so annoying. And many times you are endlessly walking for insane amounts of time. The walking doesn't bother me much, it's the fighting. Other than that, EXTREMELY complex game.

In the beginning it might be like that, but by the time you get your character's ability with that weapon up to about 60+ you start hitting much more often. If you choose a character race that is already proficient with a certain weapon it als makes it much easier to hit things with that weapon.

For those who still have the game, make sure to get the Marksman mod for it. Adds something like 12 new bows, crossbows, and tons of new arrows. It's also FREE, which is the best part.

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 38
MOD PLACE OF THE GODS

For: ES3
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
MOD PLACE OF THE GODS

For: ES3
biggrin.gif

You cruel, cruel man! Now I am over there checking to see if there are any other cool mods I can d'load and try out. So far the halfling, new khajits, drawrf, and several other race mods just plain were buggy and didn't work. All the shorty folks mods couldn't climb stairs right and you got stuck going up or down. Frustrating.

Oct 30, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 38
Yeah, my favorite mods are races, classes, armor and weapons. I have completely avoided the other rather dumb mods that change the look of things. Who cares if the water looks more lifelike or blue? I sure don't. I like finding mods that are really cool, but don't unbalance the game. I tried out some new Elf race, Akula methinks, and he started out with a strength of 160. Man, that's just rediculous. Right now my guy is a Bane Elf. Very weak little guys, but incredible luck. (70 starting luck, 25 strength)

Oct 30, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 38
Heh, hardcore combat sims are nuts. 688, IL-2 Sturmovik... I like simpler stuff, like BF1942, where the trick is in learning to fly not learning to use the controls.

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 38
Agreed w/ everybody saying that F-Zero GX is hard as hell.

Oct 31, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #27 of 38
Tom Clancy's Raven Shield is my personal fav, I love the realism factor, gun stats change when you add supressors and such and completing the game on hard mode is extreamly difficult.

Nov 1, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Man, I love video game discussions.

Unlike many of you sad folks, I was blessed with a steady hand for most multiplayer FPS.

I prefer a high mouse sensitivity for rapid response with little hand movement. Others not gifted with my incredible aiming abilty will suffice with a lower sensitivity
biggrin.gif

Wee, video games are cool!

I guess I've been blessed as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been "dueling" (1v1) competitively sometimes in tournaments and stuff since Doom 2 and DWANGO (if anyone remembers those days
smily_headphones1.gif
). Anyway in FPS situations, I personally think learning to listen (w/ a good pair of headphones! although all of us shouldn't have that problem
biggrin.gif
) to sound cues and be able to pinpoint the position of the opponent can help you very much. Also a LOW sensitivity and a nice big mousepad is the way to go
wink.gif

Although I haven't been blessed with an immense multi-tasking brain to play Starcraft or War3 successfully :p. I find myself staring at the battles and forgeting to build back in the base constantly!

Btw anyone play Ikaruga? Now THAT is a freakishly hard game.

Nov 1, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 38
I've got to put in another vote for F-zero GX. I'm borrowing it from a friend at the moment, and have been amazed by the pure skill (or luck) required to win. I've beaten all of the expert cups and the story mode, btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
By far the games with the steepest learning curves for me are hardcore combat simulators. Who here has played 688/Hunter Killer?

definately a great game. i played in the seawolves online community for a while with that game. other games like jane's atf was pretty good. not too hard to learn. but jane's f/a-18 was literally impossible to learn. it's like i needed military training to play that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back