Videogames with steep learning curves
Oct 29, 2003 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

sephka

100+ Head-Fier
Argh...I find this very frustrating. I have owned Warcraft 3, and later its expansion, for the better part of a year. I've played a couple hundred games. Yet, i'm still not experienced enough to win much more than half of them, at best. I also go into terrible losing streaks when I get frustrated. This obviously doesn't help things. I had the same problem in Counterstrike, where it took me about nine months to a year before I started performing at clan-entry levels. Who else is a subpar to poor gamer, and finds many online/competitive games to have steep learning curves?

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 38
Oh yeah, I know what you mean
frown.gif

Having played Quake3 for several months during the breaks at work and beating my colleagues by quite a margin I thought I was ready to take a look into the rest of the world. Not that I expected to win but a place in the top third should be possible.....I thought. So I looked into some random games online and was trashed every time.
mad.gif

That's why I mostly play single-player games. Keeps me sane as I have neither time nor talent to compete on a reasonable level.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
Who else is a subpar to poor gamer, and finds many online/competitive games to have steep learning curves?

I never have problems playing offline, i manage to grasp the game in question pretty quickly. Online is a different story for many because so many people cheat or backstab, it's becomes disheartening to play. However, i've always had fast, if clumsy, reflexes and have managed to kick some serious ass in Starcraft via battlenet. It just takes time to manage your reflexes and play with people who can show you a thing or two.

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 38
If you play online, it's best to play with a small group of friends so there's no cheating madness.

I just don't have time to play online.

Oct 29, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 38
I'm terrible at RTS games and only enjoy playing them against friends who are some what close to my skill level. I find playing RTS games on the net against random people very frustrating and not satisfying at all.

However team based FPS games are tons of fun online. Even if you suck you can still do pretty well and you can learn the role you play the best in the team. Some great examples of team based online FPS games are Battlefield 1942, Savage, PlanetSide, Wolfenstien, and there are new ones coming out all the time.

Another thing that helps is if you grab a game when it first comes out. Then the people online arn't so brutally hard and you can increase your learning curve the same time everyone else does.

Oct 29, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
pong , tank , frogger , space invaders............

LOL, Rick...You left one out. I'm playing Pac-Man right now...

wink.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 38
I dont know, I think it has more to do with the person than the game sometimes. Almost every game I've played online has people who have played for ages but frankly, still arent very good or havent grasped the concept yet. Given that these games are usually team based games with a need to understand cooperation and teamwork, but incompetence seems to pop up in FPS a lot as well.

Oct 30, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 38
I think that the official title of "Hardest Game To Get Started In" goes to Star Wars Galaxies, which has no mercy for newbies at all, t'was scary at first, I got it 6 days after it came out...GRR!!

I can't wait for FFXI though, it'll be fun (I'll actually PLAY with my friends, since none of them ever did that with SWG...).

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
for the gamecube f-zero gx is easy one of the hardest games I have played in awhile, and I am pretty good with video games.

That has got to be the hardest game ever made (I am also really good with video games). Even the medium difficulty levels make it seem like you have to drive perfectly just to get a decent ranking. There are challenging games, and there are too challenging games, and F-Zero GX is so challenging that it just isn't fun. I also think that F-Zero on SNES was much better. That could do what even the gamecube version couldn't do: convey the extreme speed and power in the races.

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 38
Man, I love video game discussions.

Unlike many of you sad folks, I was blessed with a steady hand for most multiplayer FPS. Just in case anybody cares, I will list some tips for improving in whatever FPS (Counter Strike, Quake or my game of choice, Enemy Territory).

If possible, disable weapon drawing.

If possible, use a crosshair color that contrasts with your enemy's cloths.

TURN OFF WEAPONS FLASH!

Turn off those cheesy gore effects (don't need em', could marginally improve system performance).

Don't tolerate lag. Never, never never. If you happen to be in a server with even a little slowdown, quit. It's just not worth your time.

I prefer a high mouse sensitivity for rapid response with little hand movement. Others not gifted with my incredible aiming abilty will suffice with a lower sensitivity
biggrin.gif

Good luck and happy killing.

BTW, no one is as good as me at Enemy Territory. No one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back