Vibration and the Computer Audiophile
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Just watching the 'Greek Audiophile Club' vid, its obvious that many with turntables are prepared to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to combat vibration, and that carried through to high-end CDPs - this makes sense to me. We now have the potential to store our music on an SSD - zero moving parts - and yet I'm still seeing 'solutions' for the computer audiophile to combat internal vibration as well as RMI/EMF and other nasties, Apparently placing your Mac Mini on a slab of granite just isn't sufficient - thoughts ? I dont have specific links to hand atm, but there are plenty of references to this over at Computer Audiophile - given that we tend to have slightly more real-world budgets (!), I thought this might be a better place to raise this, 

Tks,

estreeter

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi All,

Just watching the 'Greek Audiophile Club' vid, its obvious that many with turntables are prepared to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars to combat vibration, and that carried through to high-end CDPs - this makes sense to me. We now have the potential to store our music on an SSD - zero moving parts - and yet I'm still seeing 'solutions' for the computer audiophile to combat internal vibration as well as RMI/EMF and other nasties, Apparently placing your Mac Mini on a slab of granite just isn't sufficient - thoughts ? I dont have specific links to hand atm, but there are plenty of references to this over at Computer Audiophile - given that we tend to have slightly more real-world budgets (!), I thought this might be a better place to raise this, 

Tks,

estreeter

I think micro vibrations are a problem in most any low level signal source and dampening them can lead to minor improvements. However, there are room related issues that can be tackled with far more beneficial results that vibrations. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 5
Dealing with computer vibration is easy we can simply make a computer with absolutely no moving parts including fans and have the thing 100% passively cooled. Passive heatsinks/PSU/etc. If the computer was built for pure audio enjoyment I would consider this as an option from a quick guess it would probably increase cost $200 for the way I would personally go about it.

Other options are usually more related to decreasing noise by dampening the vibration they cause, several ways to go about this too. But it will have no wear near the effectiveness as the pure passive setup.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi estreeter:  Vibration and its mitigation or tuning has been around for ages in audio and yes as you mentioned it can affect computers as well.  I used to have a high end rack and cones that attempted to route vibrations to a larger mass.  Now I have my system on an old rack that attempts to do the same without the cones (needed more shelves for computer drives, etc.)  Any of the standard tweaks for vibration control or amelioration are likely to have audible effects. Try some of the low cost ones first and see which you prefer.

I am much more inclined to spend time these days tweaking the computer to sound better as a music server than to mess with vibration control.  And I am now finally tackling the room which has a much more profound effect.

Good luck

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for your input - no argument about the importance of the room with speakers. Headphones, of course, neatly obviate everything bar resonance peaks and external noise levels, but speakers require a lot more thought and effort - cant believe how many years I  spent just plonking them down either side of my source and 'hoping for the best' !  Aligning tweeters with my ears, ensuring they were far enough from walls and corners - all serious black magic back then.  
rolleyes.gif

Tekton have thrown us something of a curve ball with the Lore - I can only imagine that you listen to these sitting upright on a bean bag .... 

Apologies for the audio on that vid - especially odd for a speaker manufacturer  
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back