Very well recorded pop/rock - Sorry if it's been discussed to death!
Apr 20, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 33
Best recorded and mixed hard rock album. Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion I+II Produced by Mike Clink Mixed by Bill Price.

These albums besides being great musically they have so many guitar (up to 7 guitars) and vocal overdubs. For example on You could be mine from UYI in the intro you hear 3 guitars distinctly in the left right and centre. Great test records for rock.

B000000OSG.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 20, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 33
If you want some nice (not to heavy) headphone music, you should check
out the following recordings.
- Finn Brothers (same)
- Neil Finn Try whistling this
- Los Lobos Kiko
- Peter Gabriel UP

All (mostly) these magic works were recorded/mixed by Chad Blake.
High contrast, truly amazing recordings that sounds awesome on headphones.

Veto

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 33
Check these out, they are all exceptional albums (and sound great too):

Paula Cole: This fire
Sarah Mclachlan: Fumbling towards ecstasy and Surfacing
Madonna: Ray of light
Dave Matthews Band: Under the table and dreaming and Crash
Verve Pipe: Villains

I'm sure these will meet your criteria, great music and excellent sound.

Apr 21, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 33
Not rock or pop music but some of the Cantus CD's (Let Your Voice Be Heard, ...Against the Dying of the Light and Deep River) have been recorded and digitally mastered by John Atkinson (of Stereophile) on some outstanding equipment. I have the "Let Your Voice Be Heard" album which I got after seeing them in concert for a music appreciation class. By far the best CD recording I've ever heard. The CD's can be purchased off their website http://www.cantusonline.org/ or from Borders.

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #21 of 33
I have a the track "Erotomania" from the album "Awake" by Dream Theater. It's a great instrumental, good quality. I'd reccommend "Scenes From a Memory" instead, though. Even I'm dying to get this album, I've heard a bunch of tracks from it and it's awesome stuff.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I have a the track "Erotomania" from the album "Awake" by Dream Theater. It's a great instrumental, good quality. I'd reccommend "Scenes From a Memory" instead, though. Even I'm dying to get this album, I've heard a bunch of tracks from it and it's awesome stuff.

I recommended Awake because IMO it is the best recorded album of theirs, but SFAM is my favortie of theirs musically.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 33
"Bob Marley's Legend sounds sweet as honey."

Here, here! Especially the Deluxe Edition (Exodous too).

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 33
Most of the albulms by Dire Straits are extremely well recorded (I'm not sure which of the remastered versions to recommend - but there have been several). Also, the SACD versions of The Police and Dylan albulms (granted, most of the Dylan stuff wasn't well recorded, but the SACD versions are nice improvements). Also, Elton John put out some fairly well mastered recordings in the 70's that are now coming around to SACD (GBYBR as an example). Stevie Wonder "Innervisions" is crystal clear as well. Last but not least, The Doors "Legacy" (a 2 disc greatest hits package that came out recently).

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Check these out, they are all exceptional albums (and sound great too):

Paula Cole: This fire

It's too over/well-produced. I had a Sampler with a few songs from her "this fire" album and it was much more punchier and lively.

Apr 25, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #28 of 33
Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth". Not really rock or pop exactly. It's not a country record either. It's got some jazz, gospel, country, rock, rockabilly, etc. to it. Anyway, it was recommended to me by a recording engineer who uses it as his reference for pop recordings. I just got it today and I have to say, even though I'm not that big on this type of music, the recording is amazingly good.

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Most of the albulms by Dire Straits are extremely well recorded (I'm not sure which of the remastered versions to recommend - but there have been several).

Agreed! Brothers in arms is without a doubt a fantastic album, i listen to it several times a day at work and yeah, it sounds great too.

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
It's too over/well-produced. I had a Sampler with a few songs from her "this fire" album and it was much more punchier and lively.

Huh? I've been listening it for years, i never considered it over produced, it has a lot of depth and good imaging, definitely doesn't sound brittle or overly polished like Alanis Morrisette's albums. Not sure why a sampler with tracks from the album would sound any different than her full length cd, unless someone fiddled with the eq for the tracks.

By the way, well-produced is a good thing.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back