very thick front panel, pot shaft extensions - where to buy etc?
Jan 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
hey guys ive got a question regarding a "piece" ive seen used but never used myself before. basically my problem is that ive got a very thick wooden front plate (almost an inch thick) through which i need to run the shaft of my RK27 pot to a knob. now, the stock length of the RK27 is only an inch and a bit, and its nowhere near long enough to go through the front plate, and give me enough length to securely fasten my knob. i know that there are "extensions" made in various lengths etc, i believe for exactly this purpose (or for locating your potentiometer farther "back" in the case, as opposed to having it right flush with the inside of the front panel). any recommendations on a good place to order these to canada from? i just need one and honestly i only need about an additional inch or two at max. or has anyone found a clever way of DIYing something that would work in a similar fashion? lastly, are the extensions that can be bought customizable in length (ie could you cut it to specific length) or are they in preset lengths for usage.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 7
A solution:

Shaft Accessories

shaftext.gif

+
hack5.jpg

A better solution:

11WN2Y5J98L._AA160_.jpg

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A solution:

Shaft Accessories

shaftext.gif

+
hack5.jpg

A better solution:

11WN2Y5J98L._AA160_.jpg

Agreed! Your best bet would be to use a sufficiently large diameter Forstner bit to drill a void in the back of the faceplate. Then mount your pot into the recessed hole. You can control the depth and get it just right. A drill press makes it easier, but it's not necessary. Just lay the faceplate on a towel on a flat surface, and hold it down while you drill. Keep the drill bit positioned at 90 degrees from the wood, and don't go too fast.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed! Your best bet would be to use a sufficiently large diameter Forstner bit to drill a void in the back of the faceplate. Then mount your pot into the recessed hole.

I actually meant to do it in the front as he would then have a nice recessed knob, which looks much nicer than the knob floating out on the faceplate.

semhaf.jpg

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 7
hmm, the idea of the forstner bit to create a recessed front sounds actually very appealing. i measured my knob, for the right width i would need a 1 3/4" diameter hole. do forstner bits come in that size - (wheres a good place to order em from, im located in canada)? my second question is, when using a forstner bit, do you need to treat it like a stepped bit and drill increasing diameter holes, or can you go right to the final diameter hole from just a small initial pilot hole? basically im asking if the process of drilling out a big recess takes successive drillings with multiple forstner bits or just pretty much one go? anyways, thanks for the links to the shaft accessories, i need to pick up an extender anyhow i think.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do forstner bits come in that size

Yes

Quote:

- (wheres a good place to order em from, im located in canada)?

Amazon is fine, or any wood working shop. Quality counts, so don't cheap out too much. I like Freud brand.

Quote:

my second question is, when using a forstner bit, do you need to treat it like a stepped bit and drill increasing diameter holes

No, in fact, it may cause problems if you do.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 7
No need for a pilot hole or stepping from various sizes. Just use the bit size that you require. I suggest that you cover the area to be drilled with masking tape. This will help keep splintering to a minimum. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back