Very stupid question. How do opamps work?
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Robgo

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I got some opa637ap opamps to replace the stock one in my auzen prelude and only get sound from the left channel when I put them in. I figure that whatever source you plug these into would need one to drive the left and right channel while the auzen prelude only has one to drive both channels.

How can I be sure the opamps I purchase can drive both channels?

I've made so many completely bone-headed purchase decisions lately because I have very little knowledge of this kind of equipment. I'm very disappointed in myself here.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 6
OPA627/637 are single opamps... you need dual. Also, the power pinout is different for duals vs. singles... On a single pin 4 is V- and pin 7 is V+. On a dual, pin 4 is V- and pin 8 is V+. Since those OPAs you have are rather pricey, I wouldn't be plugging them into a dual socket in case you were to damage them.

Normally, you want to check the datasheet for any given opamp to determine whether it is single or dual, pinout, and voltage limitations. You can find datasheets from the manufacturers web site, or distributors (such as Digikey and Mouser) will have them available online.

If you want a dual with a sound signature close to the 627/637, look for an OPA2107.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Hey, thanks. I guess all of this had taught me I need to research more before venturing into the unknown. I usually research the hell out of things before I commit but for some reason all this audio stuff has made me a bit impulsive, which is very out of character of me. I have no idea why. Maybe this is the reason why grey area audiophile equipment (possible snake oil type stuff) sells for so much.

Tried the opa2107 before BTW. Doesn't match the senns very well but would probably be good for beyers.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Do you guys think in general that the auzen prelude and it's single dual opamp are inefficient to drive hd650s with an amp (darkvoice 332)?

I've never heard anything else so I don't have anything to compare it with.

The opa2107 seemed to have sounded fine, no distortion. It just sounded too dark. I obviously have very little experience with all of this though.

I'm wondering if I might be better off getting a dac and using it with the prelude over SPDIF. I have a very tight budget though and can't justify huge amounts of money for something that would make only marginal improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back