Very simple confirmation regarding power transformer
Dec 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I'm having a total brain fart here (perhaps because I'm not an EE and never formally learned this). :)

I'm looking at a power transformer, it has a single 230V 50Hz primary and 74VCT secondary, this exact model http://shop.plitron.com/specs/480103.pdf

My question is simple : if I simply use it with 115V primary (North American 60Hz), I should expect 37VCT secondary output at same amperage, right?  Will the different frequency have any effect?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't know for sure, about 50Hz vs 60Hz, but I don't think it should be a problem.  Half should be roughly close.  Don't exceed the current rating.  There's quite a size difference, IMO, between 370VA and 185VA.  Why not just get the right size?  It would take less space, weigh less, and probably be cheaper.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 6
ah, i see.  no you can't maintain VA.  It's not just about power, though power is directly related to the heat spec.  The size of the wires, the size of the core, and the number of turns, will dictate the amount of current you can put through.  This deals with core saturation and the wire spec.  Assuming your wire can handle the increased amperage,  (10A instead of 5A...which is very large), you need to presume that the core is *close* to saturation at 5A (for cost reasons from the manufacturer).  Doubling the current through the core will blow past the saturation limit by a huge margin.

Saturation_(magnetic)

I'm hardly an expert on this though.  It may be wise to call Plitron about it, though I'd expect a similar answer, but more technically correct, from them.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Ah, of course, total brain slip about VA actually being related to V x A 
blink.gif
  It's been a VERY long week.

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Shipping is killer on large transformers.  Why not get what you want/need and go pick it up.  Both Plitron and SumR are local (GTA).  Plitron would probably be the easiest to get to from where you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back