Very Quick Question
Apr 11, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 7
it goes turntable-->phonostage-->amp-->phones/speakers.

i know some of the old models have a phonostage and amplifier built in together, but mine at least has a loop out (unaffected by inner amplifier) which i can run to an external amplifier. i hope that answers your question.

Mike

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of cable connects the amp to the phono stage though?

Usually built-in RCA cable from turntable to phono stage. Phono stage will have RCA inputs and outputs. You need a standard RCA analog male-to-male interconnect to hook a typical phono stage to a standard line-level (AUX, CD, etc) input on an amplifier/receiver.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, awesome

so most turntable will come with rca cables attaches, or they will have a terminal to plug in RCA cables of my choice.

for some reason i had it in my head that it was some special cable that i had never heard of before. . .weird

thanks again head-fi

You are right in a way. The cabling coming from the turntable to the phono pre-amp is wired to the bottom of the tonearm on the turntable generally with a captive lead. The wiring is a slightly different type of cable because it needs to carry very low level signals from the stylus (mili Volts) to the phono stage which amplifies it to line level (Volts) for standard levels of amplification.

sometimes you might come accross a vintage deck which comes with a German style DIN plug but generally it will be a pair of RCA's and an earth wire which usually has a spade connector to attach to the appropriate post on your phono stage or amp.

Since you are in the UK I recommend reading this http://www.tnt-audio.com/guide/index.html which gives a good UK based 2nd hand buying guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back