Very pleased with my Szekeres
Apr 19, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 21
Sorry for the interruption, but where is the best documentation on a Szkeres amp? The stuff I found on Headwize? Or is there another article?

Apr 19, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 21
Hey,

I forgot. My Version 3 Szkeres amp has been decommissioned. It just looked plain ugly. Everything is discarded since everything was damaged after all that experimentations; I could hardly call it reference anymore.

Version 4 should contain the standard Szkeres circuit. Probably 4.7uF Solen coupling caps with 715P or Siemen bypass. (Output coupling caps will include 220~470uF caps) All the resistors will be RN55 or equivalent. CCS will be implemented with LM317's biased to operate at 100~200mA/ch. For PSU, I use ma trusty Lambda PSU. Chasis is ... RadioShack Box. Ain't it cool?

T

Apr 19, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 21
Thanks. I'll take a read and see if it's a project I will be able to work on soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 21
Maybe I have not explained it too carefully.

I just remembered something. For me, using Szkeres amp (K240M) is like having a dip in relaxing luke warm bath. On the other hand, THS4022 amp (K240M) is so surreal my soul tear away for my body. I don't feel the luke warmth. Depends on music, it is simply cleansing experience. Most of the time it is too involving I cannot do anything else and ... I get exhausted.

My BUF634+OPA627 amp (Ety4S) is very close to THS4022 K240M combo, but I can't feel the depth in the sound. It has everything else. Smoothness, Natural-ness, Details, Sweetness. The sound is beautifully played (perhaps a bit more beautiful than THS4022). But, music sound distant no matter what volume I listen. But then, music does not leave me exhausted. I can relax with the sound.**

I felt the same way with Melos SHA-1 + K240M.

Grado Szkeres combo was different. I felt as though I was standing on the stage among the band members. But depend on music, it was like nice aged brandy.

Tomo

** I suspect that if I use +-12V PSU much like that of THS4022 amp, it will probably sound much better.

Apr 19, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #21 of 21
Thanks for all these precisions
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I should expect a bit less warmth and a few more details with the HD580 than with the K240M, the jump of impedance from 300 to 600 ohms isn't nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back