Very lost with first amp, K701
Aug 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zero000

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around the fourms trying to find a amp for my K701, pretty new to this tube business and so far people have said that the Little Dot I+, Shanling PH-100, the Zero/DAC amp, and other Little dots. The reason why I haven't randomly picked one out is because I want a amp that has some sort of optical in/out and someway of hooking up my Macbook, gaming consoles, and other sources like my Cowon D2. And also I have no idea what cables to get to hook up my stuff. Any pointers?

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 6
If you're gonna feed a digital signal into a headphone amp (optical/coaxial) make damn sure you have a dac on the unit
eek.gif

I've actually never heard of a tube amp with a dac until a short search. Check this out:
glow audio integrated tube amplifier with USB and DAC

Apparently this has a 16bit USB decoder; good for a redbook I presume :\

Sep 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Budget? let say around 500, anything cheaper would be nice too.
I don't really want to buy a preamp and a amp, just adds to expensives. Is there any quailty difference if I hook up a Xbox/PS3 to the optical out rather then using the RCA. And also could I just use my Boa as a preamp and avoid the terrible Macbook's audio line out port?

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Well to use the optical out you would have to buy a dac and an amp, or a combo unit. Otherwise you would have to use the analog out to the amp.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 6
701 is pretty musical, so i think a neutral amp is better
im also finding an amp for my 701, i will try Graham Slee Solo in few month, hope they gonna be good partner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back