Very large Grado SR325 Project
Aug 10, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
Hi, someone just PMed me with a rather good idea and I was wondering if someone here would be so kind as to help me execute it. What the person suggested is essentially a 1/4" plug that wires out to two alligator clips. Then I could test each headphone without necessarily splicing (and potentially wasting) a full 1/4" jack and time spent working. Please PM me if you think you can help me out. Thanks!

I'll make one.

I'll have to find some alligator clips that would work though. I'll swing by Fry's or Rat Shack sometime this week or weekend.

-Ed

Aug 10, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 38
hmm.. interesting .... stuff ... alert me when you start selling these guys

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 38
Hey guys, thanks for everything but someone is already making me an alligator clip thingy. Thanks though! It's very much appreciated. Meanwhile, I crudely tested the a pair of headphones (stuck the wires in a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter) and they WORK!!!! I'm super excited and will keep you all updated!

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 38
I couldn't really tell, but it seemed like it was. I'm eagerly awaiting the pair of alligator clips to fully test ear set of headphones. Before I do though, which wires should I connect to which clip? There are two blue ones, a white one and a red one. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

I couldn't really tell, but it seemed like it was. I'm eagerly awaiting the pair of alligator clips to fully test ear set of headphones. Before I do though, which wires should I connect to which clip? There are two blue ones, a white one and a red one. Thanks!

If you shine a flashlight through the screen, a white wire and a blue wire are in the right ear cup. A red wire and a blue wire are in the left ear cup. The two blue wires would be connected together to ground.

The tip of the plug goes to the left side, the middle ring goes to the right side, and the sleeve is ground.

Aug 11, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Hey guys, thanks for everything but someone is already making me an alligator clip thingy. Thanks though! It's very much appreciated. Meanwhile, I crudely tested the a pair of headphones (stuck the wires in a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter) and they WORK!!!! I'm super excited and will keep you all updated!

hey if you need another another plug with aligator clips let me know, I already have a spare plug with 1/4" adapter cut from my broken sennheiser cable I just need alligator clips to get it working for you. I'm also close by so if you need a hand let me know as long as its before school starts
wink.gif

goodluck

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 38
Since they all are missing plugs, I would assumed that they came from a maybe a listening station in a store? Or maybe factory where audio equipment is tested?

Either way, they probably took a ton of abuse.

Aug 11, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 38
As I said before, these are headphones from a studio that recently closed down. A guy picked up a bunch of surplus from there and was auctioning it on eBay, so I bought them. As far as I can hear from the set I tested, the drivers work perfectly, especially the bass response. After reading to connect the blue wires to ground, I did so and stuck the red and white ones in the headphone jack again and beautiful music came out. These are top notch headphones by any standard. No grattle whatsoever or hint of failure. However, I cannot at all speak for any other pair that has not been tested. For all I know I could have simply picked the only functioning pair in the whole lot.

You skepticism is not unexpected though. I assume the studio spliced the cables and either balanced them or whatever. Either way, most of them look pretty good despite the roughness in handling prior to my purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back