Very High end Speakers Boenicke audio
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 111
Resonances can be harnessed to sound very good. Its just a different philosophy. What makes guitars and violins sound so good? They resonate with every pluck.

If a speaker manufacturer can harness that sound, his speakers would definitely be voiced differently than all others. A properly done speaker this way would provide a very unique listening experience.

Anyhow, he isn't the only one who buys into this philosophy. There is another manufacturer who understand this design and has speakers built around it...I can't recall the name or find a link for them, but they were supposed to be wonderful sounding speakers.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #17 of 111
I look forward to your impressions!

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resonances can be harnessed to sound very good. Its just a different philosophy. What makes guitars and violins sound so good? They resonate with every pluck.

If a speaker manufacturer can harness that sound, his speakers would definitely be voiced differently than all others. A properly done speaker this way would provide a very unique listening experience.

Anyhow, he isn't the only one who buys into this philosophy. There is another manufacturer who understand this design and has speakers built around it...I can't recall the name or find a link for them, but they were supposed to be wonderful sounding speakers.

My sentiments exactly, as a musician having a speaker trying to mimic an instrument is very intriguing to me.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #19 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by munk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sentiments exactly, as a musician having a speaker trying to mimic an instrument is very intriguing to me.

This makes no sense for any instrument which is not made of wood.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 111
98% of instruments are wood resonant reliant...stringed,drums,piano, and wood wind. Why would you ever use high end audiophile grade speakers for electronic music just buy some cerwin vegas.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 111
Hmmm... the tweeter is sealed on the back (made to be monopole).

Ehhh... would rather have a electrostat or line-array.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #22 of 111
Quote:

invalid analogy.

one is a SOURCE and one is a PLAYBACK.

please don't confuse the two. the swiss seem to have...

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 111
Quote:

All speaker boxes resonate otherwise we would stick a speaker voice coil on the floor. Not saying this to be a anass just clearing up what resonate means in this case.

resonance is something you LIVE WITH not DESIGN FOR!

geeze.

if we could remove non-source based resonances (ie, the noise and junk you don't want to hear) this would be a step forward.

turning your cabinet into a sound source of its own is just the WRONG idea.

sorry to be blunt but this idea is just too hairbrained to make any sense.

a lot of creative wood beauty but no science that I can see...

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 111
I think the confusion here is coming from the use of the word "resonate." Although that might be technically correct (although it seems a bit archaic), the best description would be that the chambers "reinforce" the sound. That's what the speaker design is trying to do, and it's a very common (and successful) way of building speakers.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
invalid analogy.

one is a SOURCE and one is a PLAYBACK.

please don't confuse the two. the swiss seem to have...

Exactly my point. If the "source" produces sound a certain way, it would be quite desirable and interesting for the "playback" to reproduce the sound the same way for listening.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 111
These speakers look extremely beautiful. I also like the idea that they're carved from one piece of solid wood.

Maybe one day when I have money...

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #27 of 111
Quote:

Maybe resonate wasn't the right word. Anyways these speakers produce incredible wood and wind based sounds quality call it what ever you like but unless you have actually heard them in person you cannot fully under stand by me just talking about them. Cello sounds like the performer is sitting right in front of you. I love audio but I am a musician so my terminology is not up to par haha

Please detail in what type of set up you heard them, and also how do they compare to other similar priced speakers?

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #28 of 111
Quote:

resonance is something you LIVE WITH not DESIGN FOR!

geeze.

if we could remove non-source based resonances (ie, the noise and junk you don't want to hear) this would be a step forward.

turning your cabinet into a sound source of its own is just the WRONG idea.

sorry to be blunt but this idea is just too hairbrained to make any sense.

a lot of creative wood beauty but no science that I can see...

You are entitled to your own opinion I think the idea of using the speaker box and a natural amplifier is a great idea.

Science and pleasure of music don;t really co inside I think you would agree audio is definitely an objective preference. One guys nails ion a chalk board is another's tantric bliss.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the confusion here is coming from the use of the word "resonate." Although that might be technically correct (although it seems a bit archaic), the best description would be that the chambers "reinforce" the sound. That's what the speaker design is trying to do, and it's a very common (and successful) way of building speakers.

Yes I am sorry I even used the word resonate it doesn't come from Boenicke audio it was my own choosing lets move on haha

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 111
Quote:

The problems is that usually an instrument is tuned from several different types of wood. There are now instruments that are made of carbon fibre.

The website doesn't really say much about what the wood does, except it mimics musical instruments. (seems to be a marketing slogan). And keep in mind all the speakers are made of Silver Fir, except the flagship which is made of Black Walnut or Custom made. If they were tuning the cabinet to resonate for sound they would have to control the type and also array of the wood used.

A quote from "Magico", which use Baltic Birch in their mini speakers.
"Resonances in the body of a musical instrument are an essential part of defining its nature and quality. The opposite is true of a loudspeaker. Cabinet panel resonances are a significant cause of sound coloration. Heavy bracing of a typical MDF enclosure can help reduce enclosure flex but at the cost of increased energy storage and damping factor. Although a welcome attribute for midrange output, over damping is detrimental to bass performance (High energy storage, low wide Q and low resonances). MAGICO has spent many years developing an enclosure system that successfully balances the 3 elements that constitute a proper loudspeaker enclosure: stiffness, mass, and dampness.

Solid wood would have all three elements.

Looks to me as if the carved interior would in some way emulate a horn enclosure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back