Very disappointed in ATH-M50x. Looking for neutral closed back headphones for classical music.
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Evgeni

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am a newbie in regards to headphones and need your advice. For the last few years I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-595 and they are absolutely fantastic headphones! I listen mainly to classical music - solo piano, symphonic, etc. I need new headphones to use at the office though. I brought my HD-595s at the office and my coworkers immediately complained about music leaking, so apparently I can't use the HD-595s :frowning2: I did a little research and concluded I should be looking for closed back headphones. I watched a YouTube review of ATH-M50x  by a popular guy called MKBHD, was misled he knows his stuff, so gave it a go and purchased them. Man, what a disappointment. There's so much bass it hurts. It literally hurts. After just one hour listening with them the overpowering bass just makes pain in my head and is very unrealistic for classical music. Well, I listen to some electronica too, for example Underworld, and it doesn't work there either, the loud and powerful bass just destroys my ears and brain. Maybe it's my ears or who knows what but apparently I am not a bass guy. I've been trying to adapt to them for a few weeks, reading about burn-in, etc. but there's no change. Just not my headphones.

So, here goes my need for advice. I need headphones in the €150-200 range that won't leak music, and will have very neutral sound similar to my HD-595 (I am not sure HD-595 are neutral, but music just sounds right with them, so I am OK if the new headphones are not neutral provided they sound the same way as HD-595. If there are in-ear headphones that can do the job, I am OK with that too). Although not a must, I'd prefer low impedance because I listen from my Mac and won't be using a headphone preamp. I would eventually increase my price limit if there are really no good neutral closed back headphones in that price range.

Any advice will be highly appreciated! Thanks and cheers!

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi, I am a newbie in regards to headphones and need your advice. For the last few years I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD-595 and they are absolutely fantastic headphones! I listen mainly to classical music - solo piano, symphonic, etc. I need new headphones to use at the office though. I brought my HD-595s at the office and my coworkers immediately complained about music leaking, so apparently I can't use the HD-595s :frowning2: I did a little research and concluded I should be looking for closed back headphones. I watched a YouTube review of ATH-M50x  by a popular guy called MKBHD, was misled he knows his stuff, so gave it a go and purchased them. Man, what a disappointment. There's so much bass it hurts. It literally hurts. After just one hour listening with them the overpowering bass just makes pain in my head and is very unrealistic for classical music. Well, I listen to some electronica too, for example Underworld, and it doesn't work there either, the loud and powerful bass just destroys my ears and brain. Maybe it's my ears or who knows what but apparently I am not a bass guy. I've been trying to adapt to them for a few weeks, reading about burn-in, etc. but there's no change. Just not my headphones.

So, here goes my need for advice. I need headphones in the €150-200 range that won't leak music, and will have very neutral sound similar to my HD-595 (I am not sure HD-595 are neutral, but music just sounds right with them, so I am OK if the new headphones are not neutral provided they sound the same way as HD-595. If there are in-ear headphones that can do the job, I am OK with that too). Although not a must, I'd prefer low impedance because I listen from my Mac and won't be using a headphone preamp. I would eventually increase my price limit if there are really no good neutral closed back headphones in that price range.

Any advice will be highly appreciated! Thanks and cheers!

Check out the sennheiser 598 CS. It will share the same sound signature but isolate better. They're great headphones.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Takstar pro 80 or the hsr1000 (basically the same thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back