Very Cool Story About the Sticky Gunk in Grados
Jun 20, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
My Great Uncle Erwin was an intense audiophile for a long time, unfortunately, as he is now well into his 70s and partially deaf he has somewhat gotten out of the hobby. Anyways, he was a friend of Joe Grado's and a high up chemist for exxon for over 40 years.

Every couple years Joe would call him up and ask him for 5 pounds of butyl rubber. Every time, Joe would ask him, "is it soluble in hexane?" as a joke. and every time, my uncle would say no, or maybe, or I don't know. One time he gave in and said, "give it a try" and Joe Grado thanked him, and told him he'd send him a special cartridge which he never got haha. Anyways, the point of the story is that the nasty black crap inside the chamber is either butyl rubber or a butyl rubber hexane solution in case any of you were interested. I just thought it was really cool.

The most exciting part, is that Erwin told me that Joe gave him some of his top of the line headphones. I asked him if he remembered the model number? No Were they the metal ones? Yes What happened them? They're in a box somewhere... I am convinced my uncle has a pair of HP-1s but I don't think he has the interest or energy to the find them himself. Looks like I'll be heading up to New Jersey for a little scavenger hunt
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 22
Wow! That's quite a story... let us know if you find those headphones...
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 22
If you find them, and your uncle gives them to you...you and your uncle are the $hit. Fricken team work, I like it!

Jun 20, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 22
Do you need a second hand to find the "metal" can?
eggosmile.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Anyways, the point of the story is that the nasty black crap inside the chamber is either butyl rubber or a butyl rubber hexane solution in case any of you were interested.

I wonder if this black stuff is also used to make that "blob" found on the back of the transducers in the upper end Grados.
Interesting story, by the way.

Jun 20, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I wonder if this black stuff is also used to make that "blob" found on the back of the transducers in the upper end Grados.
Interesting story, by the way.

I believe it is. Butyl rubber is considered to be a very good dampening material.

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 22
and one day, the intrepid head-fier discovered that he was a descendant of the fabled clan of the Grado Gunk. and all who became aware were struck in awe.
eek.gif

that's a crazy story, good stuff chatting it up with your uncle, who must love talking shop with his nephew!

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 22
nice story!!!

So now we have a technical term for the black goo.

Good luck finding those metal headphones

rs1smile.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 22
ah...so that's the modding material I'm looking for
very_evil_smiley.gif
he, he, he. A new search begins d'oh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back