Very confused here about sources
Sep 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Okay, I am very confused here.  I usually use my Realtek HD sound card on my desktop computer to listen to music and it sounds good.  But recently I started listening to music on my cheap clip-on Coby MP3 player and I have to say the sound is very much better.  So much more clearer and I can hear things and instruments I haven't heard before.  Is the Realtek "that" bad?  Why bother putting HD on it if my Coby MP3 player can outperform it?  So confused...

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 45
Computer sound cards are often not built specifically for music quality whereas the MP3 player is built specifically for music. This depends on the sound card of course, but I have heard the Realtek is pretty terrible, you should upgrade 
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 45
I think you pretty much answered your own question...

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 45
It's "good enough" for people who will only ever listen to low quality mp3s from the headphone out jacks of their computers using cheapo headphones - which, sadly, is the majority of computer users.

Slightly more discriminating users will upgrade to soundcards.

However, almost everyone lurking or posting on these forums will likely own a pair of high quality headphones for which only a dedicated DAC and headphone amp will do. Obviously you now know that you need to upgrade to a decent DAC.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 45
Don't really know where you heard that from, the majority of realtek chips are just so that your computer can make any sort of sound at all, sort of like the intel integrated graphics chips.  If you don't want to upgrade your card and you want better audio on your computer then you can consider a usb dac, it's sort of like an external sound card.
In general, 90% of the standard computer packages that you buy in stores have absolutely horrible sound chips.  Most people can't hear the difference or don't care, because the sound chip doesn't make your computer faster.  Most people just look for the video card.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 45
yeah ive heard a DAC is a better choice.  ive heard from many people to stay away from sound cards.  i owned a creative 5.1 back in the day and it was worse than the realtek i have now.  but i get what your saying.  where can i look for a cheap DAC?

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 45
it's basically meaning the source where the sound coming from like mp3 player or computer,ect. realtek is not the greatest at all. before i got into audio and was more of a gpu geek i still could tell the difference from realtek and the dedicated cheap turtle beach riviera soundcard i have. 

have other choices as well besides buying usb dacs and so forth. it might take up more room but a nice  cd player can be used as a dac source to bypass the soundcards dac and can be much cheaper. also can use stereo receiver to bypass the soundcard as well. just throwing in thoughts. i'm no expert tho so just take it as suggestions. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 45

Quote:
Yes, much better.

thanks.  i figure a sound card like that plus a nice 50 dollar amp will make my music, games much better.  i think thats what im gonna do.  i will definately do some reviews once i get it.  i am just shocked at how much better these headphones sound with this cheapy mp3 player.  i never thought my realtek sound card was "that" bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back