Verum One MKII 5 month review and journey
Jan 15, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #121 of 146
I've learnt over time if it's something you're half way serious about, spend as much money as reasonably necessary, otherwise you end up with many upgrades costing more than the single high end item - at least that was my thoughts with it. Ironically, I originally only got the Verums as a stepping stone to something better, but I'm not in any hurry to upgrade!
Frankly, that last sentence is better than my entire review chain here! haha.

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #123 of 146
If you have read this far and still don’t own a pair. I’m telling you. These Verum One are simply going to be legend. A headphone this good sonically and physically is legend. At any price point.

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #124 of 146
I would say these are perfect, apart from the headband; because of the way the headband is made, one driver will be at a slightly different height to the other.; also affects clamp and comfort a little too. Would like to get input from others here on this, thanks.

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #125 of 146
I highly doubt that you can feel the 1-2 mm theoretical difference based on the overlap on the top. You can just tilt them ever so slightly (a millimeter or so) to make up for that overlap.
Otherwise just build your own structure and use the drivers from The Verum One.

Note that your head isnt symmetrical...

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #126 of 146
I highly doubt that you can feel the 1-2 mm theoretical difference based on the overlap on the top. You can just tilt them ever so slightly (a millimeter or so) to make up for that overlap.
Otherwise just build your own structure and use the drivers from The Verum One.

Note that your head isnt symmetrical...
yes I can & of course I have considered + am in the middle of making up my own headband. As I said, the rest of it is fine; just a pity a small detail ruins the symmetry of them.

Feb 16, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #127 of 146
I would very much like to see/do an A-B test on that. Since your head isnt symmetrical Id say it would be a small miracle to actually tell which set had reversed overlap. It would be like puttning on a hat and be able to tell if the badge is EXACTLY facing front center WITHOUT looking in the mirror and without touching the badge with your fingers.
My objection is based on that your headphone is constructed as intended and that the metall parts havent twisted, turned, warped or something else. Also; Im talking about the v2. Not the v1.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #130 of 146
I think it’s always hard when we start telling people about their own subjective experience. I love the Verum and just have to wonder how accurate or universal my claims are about the Verum. Thus far, no one has told me that what I’m hearing is made up. That’s amazing considering how far in to this review we are. Usually by this point in any review someone has already created a massive argument about the claims of the reviewer. So I appreciate so much that this hasn’t happened here to me.

I know for me the Verum are mind blowingly comfortable and I can wear them for hours at a time with zero fatigue. My guess is that they were designed for me personally. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #131 of 146
What you are saying I can understand, relate to, accept and everything else. Saying that 1 millimeter height difference in a very rickety and HANDBUILT (IE nothing is straight, no 2 exactly alike parts, and so on) construction can be felt, is however something I can guaratee no one can feel. One can feel them as uncomfortable, comfortable, too loose, too wide/narrow, too restraining, too big/small, too heavy/light, etc. Thats fine. But not a snowballs chance in hell that anyone can feel any kind of skewness based on a 1 mm difference about 100 mm from the first touching point. Thats nothing but bollocks. Again; assuming the headset isnt damaged, warped, twisted, etc. But then again...it isnt the 1 mm that is the problem. Also...he was asking for help, opinion, thoughts.

For christ sakes even the drivers are unequal in impedance, but that 1 mm height difference is what makes the big difference? Come on...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #132 of 146
I’m claiming that wires matter in extracting the utmost potential of the Verum One. And depending on the forum I would be excoriated for believing this. People would be making fun of me endlessly. Which is annoying. Obviously I don’t have proof for my claims but subjectively the all silver headphone cable I’m using with all silver interconnects and all silver internal amplifier wires makes a big and beautiful difference to me.

I hear what you are saying too though. They are hand built and completely adjustable so it’s super hard for me personally to see how such a difference matters. And for me, like I have said many times… these have to be the most comfortable headphones on the market.

I just don’t understand how Igor sells them for what he does. It’s like Verum is a charitable organization for down on their luck audiophiles. And to top it off GR Research is now going to help distribute them, and Igor and GR both have to take hits on that. That’s how good these headphones are, that another business man is willing to take a financial hit to help. Incredible.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #133 of 146
I have the Naim clone headphone amplifier mentioned throughout this thread up for sale with upgraded pure silver audio wiring and RCA connectors.

PM me if interested.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #134 of 146
UPDATE:

Too bad the owner/builder turned out to have such a demeanor. I bought mine before all the flap arose.

In any event, I feel fortunate to own them and enjoy listening to them very much every now and then, especially with an all tube amp.

They sound first rate in their clarity and accurate timbre yet they lack the slam and drive that some other headphones have. Also, I experienced distorted sound on several classical piano concerto recordings and it turned out to be the sound of the earpad magnetic metal rings resonating. I fixed this by removing the metal rings and using small glue dots to hold the pads in place over the drivers. I experienced the same issue with the original liquid wood Nighthawks and it was caused by the vibration of the plastic earpad rings that came with the Nighthawks. Once the rings were removed, the ugly reverb resonance and distortion went away.

The pads listed below sell for only $10.20US per pair and are less thick than some of the pads others have been recommending, which I find curtail the Verum 1's midrange magic. The inexpensive YDYBZB brand protein leather pads improved the overall sound of the Verum 1 even more than the pads that came with the Verum 1 or the optional perforated OEM pads that I purchased from the Verum website and even bested higher priced pads I have tried. In case the amazon link below gets filtered out, you can find them on amazon by searching for this:

1 Pair of Black Ear Pads Cover Earpads Cushion Pillow Replacement Memory Foam Compatible with AKG K550 K551 K552 K553 Headphones (Ear Pads)

https://www.amazon.com/Earpads-Cushion-Pillow-Replacement-Headphones/dp/B07WH5RYLP

Recommended cable to improve the sound: Canare L-4E5C (DIY or custom built by Redco)

Bad luck. The tiny nut that holds the receptacle which the headphone cable plugs into just fell off my left earcup one day. See pic. I found it by combing through the carpet in my bedroom but I was unable to reattach it. I emailed Verum and they were very responsive and suggested how I might re-attach the nut, but I failed in my efforts. Why not ship them back to Verum for repair? The company is in Ukraine. Enough said.

If you own these, I suggest that you check the nuts on the earcups frequently to be sure they are secured tightly.

Attachments

• Verum 1 nut.JPG
    Verum 1 nut.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #135 of 146
If you have read this far and still don’t own a pair. I’m telling you. These Verum One are simply going to be legend. A headphone this good sonically and physically is legend. At any price point.

Please do tell, which other headphones and the related setups have you compared this headphone to to arrive at your conclusion. Otherwise it's another hype train post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back