Verum One MKII 5 month review and journey
Nov 2, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 146
Action Bronson - Mr. Wonderful

If you're looking for unusual New York hip hop... This is a great album with all sorts of funk built in. And if you haven't, check out his shows "Traveling the Stars" if you like Ancient Aliens, and "F*ck That's Delicious" if you like food. The VerumS take on this album full force. There is zero weakness in playback. Each track is played with extreme authority. And when you get to Thug Love Story 2017 The Musical, you'll hear a street performer completely nail it. You'll hear those New York streets as if you're standing there with them. Moving on to A Light in the Addict, the bass notes come across divinely and the track effortlessly transitions into an old school sounding hip hop beat with Bronson's voice coming so vibrant that it's like your ear is the mic. It's already a fantastic album, but on the VerumS they handle all of the passages that bring clipping to almost every other system I own. NO CLIPPING. NO DISTORTION. And this on an album that seems mastered for that. And don't get it wrong, the VerumS never feel dialed back on this album. Instead they give me what feels like one of the most honest reproductions of it that I've ever heard. And the last track, Easy Rider, is my favorite track. I'm cranking it as I type. Way past the volume that my ears should be exposed to. NO CLIPPING. NO DISTORTION. This track I have to dial back on my reference system. It's rough. But on the VerumS, no flinching. Loud and proud.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #32 of 146
Have anything to contribute regarding the Verum One sound quality, frequency response or build quality?
Apologies for that. If I had owned a Verum before reading the various comments from the maker. I'm sure I would enjoy them. I might even consider one used. I was just being a little snarky. .As a customer, I would be concerned if it needed warranty repair, but that's a different story.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #33 of 146
The warranty repair is indeed foreboding, just because of having to ship it back to the Ukraine. There's been a few times I thought there might be a problem with the headphone, but thankfully it was a problem with my headphone cable each time. That's the punishment I get for insisting on using a solid 24ga silver wire hand soldered. My headphone cable has broken I think 3 or 4 times now. But my pair of VerumS have remained so stolid since day one. I'm very glad that I've gone with rhodium plugs as my interface, because the Verum One have nice and tight fitting inputs on the cups. Something that the maker told me was to be sure and use TRS plugs on the cups even though they only require a TS. But he has used TRS jack and just left the R(ing) open. And like I said in my review of fit and finish, it's really first class. Just on fit and finish alone, at least for my pair, it feels like a very expensive headphone. Other similarly priced headphones don't feel as quality, but I've obviously not handled every possible option.

The only thing I forgot to mention in my fit and finish was my continued distaste for the stock cable. The break isn't low enough for my tastes and that weird twist drives me crazy. I tried using the stock cable but just couldn't for lots of reasons. But the good news here is that for $350 you get a phenomenal headphone that scales mountains and you get to choose your cable adventure.

And let me plug me again... Hopefully this is allowed... Just tell me if it's not and I'll delete this part. But I can make people either a solid silver or solid copper cable with rhodium plugs custom for this headphone if you PM me. The biggest cost are the rhodium plated plugs if you go all copper, and the silver if you go silver wire. But, given my experience with this headphone, I really think gold plated would be a mistake, because the tolerances on the VerumS are tight enough to wear out a gold plating. Rhodium will take a lot of abuse. It's not as conductive as gold, but I don't think the sonic gain of a thin gold plating is worth it over rhodium plating. And rhodium has a higher conductivity than nickel plating. On my headphone cable I did 24ga silver, but if I were making someone else a cable I'd actually step it up to 22ga silver since the extra thickness will avoid some of the annoying issues that I've had on my own cable. For copper I'd do 24ga since copper is stiffer than silver, and I have 22ga copper I use for cheap personal use interconnects, and the 22ga would definitely be too stiff in my opinion for a headphone cable. I made a 24ga silver wire for my brother as well, and he had one break only so far. Another reason for me to go 22ga silver. And yes... I've got much more competent at making these wires now. :wink:

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #34 of 146
Apologies for that. If I had owned a Verum before reading the various comments from the maker. I'm sure I would enjoy them. I might even consider one used. I was just being a little snarky. .As a customer, I would be concerned if it needed warranty repair, but that's a different story.
Understood. I purchased mine pre-owned, best headphones in the stable. Previous to getting them I was continually looking to upgrade, anticipating spending between $700-$1500 for this sound quality, no longer.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #35 of 146
Same. I only bought mine hoping for a good $350 headphone that wouldn’t piss me off. My assumption was that it was going to be far inferior to a good number of headphones. With my amp selection and wiring upgrades the sound is far beyond any sensible expectation I ever had for them.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 146
Do the headphones terminate in 3.5mm x 2 or 2.5mm x 2?

Been considering this headphone for a few years now and my decision will probably be based on the jacks on the headphone.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #37 of 146

Been considering this headphone for a few years now and my decision will probably be based on the jacks on the headphone.
Verum 2 mk2 terminates in 3.5mm x 2.
cable that comes with it is a 90 degree angled 3.5mm x 2 to 3.5mm single ended jack. doesn't come with 3.5mm to 1/4inch adaptor.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #38 of 146

The latest edition is using 3.5mm x2 TS. But you can also use 3.5mm TRS and leave the R(ing) open. You’ll need both hot leads to go to the T(ip) and ground to the S(leeve). I used TRS based on advice from the maker.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #39 of 146

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book​

Bam! Right out of the gate. The left to right wah-wah effect is so clean and transparent. On a great setup, creates a sort of hypnotic effect on the first track. And the bass just has so much presence. The hand drums (congas) in the back, each strike clear as day. And Stevie Wonder's voice... utter magic. All at moderate volume. But that wicked bass on track two just demands to turn up the funk. Wonder really likes playing with that stereo effect. The women's vocals vibrant and rich. Wonder's voice dead center and so damn clean that I've already doubled the volume. And on my setup the VerumS are just so dynamic on this album at full tilt. There is nothing to fault here. And the guitar playing by Ray Parker Jr just adds that final bit of funkiness that spices up the second track. The kick drum has nice presence and you hear that thwack as you should on a great hifi setup or in person. With Ray Parker's guitar work, it really feels like my ear is connected directly to his guitar output. On You and I, David Sanborn's alto comes in a little hot for my taste and has caused me to back off the volume a bit for more comfort. Backing off the volume Wonder's voice and piano work come into a more balanced presentation. Not sure if its the recording or the VerumS. Could be the VerumS because I don't recall this track having that upper mid intensity. So maybe, just maybe, the VerumS aren't perfect... Oh come on, of course they are. :) Tuesday Heartbreak has a fantastic groove that really bounces on the VerumS. Still hearing a little too much intensity in that same frequency band, but since I dialed the volume back it's not too much and I think I've found a comfortable listening volume for this volume. My goal for listening level, is always maximal enjoyment without ear discomfort.

Okay, I'm going to sign off, just had to put in some more thoughts on the VerumS and also wanted to prove that I can find some fault with my setup!! Hah. But it still sounds totally awesome. :wink:

Quick update: Superstition was worth adding a couple more points (yes I'm procrastinating). Turned the volume back up for this track, no excessiveness present. Drums were placed well enough that I could hear the kit, cymbals on the left, main drums placed around center by note, and again the guitar work was excellent and came in strong on the rightish side of things. The mastering on this album is top quality. That heat on You and I had to be the VerumS. Mastering is so extremely well done.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 146
The latest edition is using 3.5mm x2 TS. But you can also use 3.5mm TRS and leave the R(ing) open. You’ll need both hot leads to go to the T(ip) and ground to the S(leeve). I used TRS based on advice from the maker.
I 'm a bit confused, if using a TRS connector is it like this?

T +
R Null
S -

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #41 of 146
I 'm a bit confused, if using a TRS connector is it like this?

T +
R Null
S -
Exactly. The T is the hot signal. The R is left empty. And the S is ground. Each cup has a 3.5mm terminal.

Are you wiring it for balanced or unbalanced?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #42 of 146
Exactly. The T is the hot signal. The R is left empty. And the S is ground. Each cup has a 3.5mm terminal.

Are you wiring it for balanced or unbalanced?
I already have some cables balanced and unbalanced that may work with it.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #43 of 146

Tom Middleton - Lifetracks​

Okay, let me just be as clear as I can be here. If you want one of the all time best electronica albums made, top 10 level, then just buy this album without listening and wait for the surprise when you hear it for the first time on your best audio reproduction equipment. That aside, this album has none of that offensive electronica glare, and mixes a nice blend between high level effects and good bass lines throughout. It doesn't have any lulls and each track on its own is worth owning. And its got the right kind of mastering that allows me to really crank the album on the VerumS and track after track is superb. For each track VerumS are able to produce a functional air around my head via the sonic effects, creating comforting and enveloping sound. Central effects like electronic guitar or keyboard are smack in the middle while that sonic air remains around central effects. Bass lines are well represented throughout on the VerumS and they allow for the music to keep a workflow level of engagement throughout. This album is also highly recommended for driving. One of the best I've heard. It's under the radar much like the VerumS and a true joy in combination.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #44 of 146

Lightnin' Hopkins - self titled​

Always one of the best attributes of the VerumS are straight vocals. It's just one of their most potent positive attributes. Man, woman, whatever... these nail vocals so incredibly well. They have a vivaciousness, a life, that always comes across. This particular blues album was his first LP and it's just him and his guitar. His vocals are beautifully presented and you can almost tell how far away from the mic he is, as he is clearly moving around a bit as he's being recorded. His guttural quality is well reproduced when he goes low. And his higher register, or normal register, is strong. And when he belts, the VerumS present a smooth transition that is very believable, as if you were in the recording studio. His guitar seems mic'd decently, but in the master it definitely takes a back seat to his voice. And he has an original rhythm that will cause you to move along in agreement, and the VerumS keep it casual but unrelenting at the same time. When Hopkins ramps up the guitar it is beautifully combined with voice. A window into time, this album is. And the VerumS make it a very beautiful window.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #45 of 146

Rostropovich - Bach Cello Suites​

I've long been a huge fan of this incredible EMI recording of Bach's Cello Suites. The pace and vibrancy set by Rostropovich on solo cello is extraordinary. But on the VerumS, the cello comes into beautiful resolution. The tone that the VerumS sets on the cello is first class. Nailing the tone on par with the very best monitors. Which should be no surprise given how flat the lower mids are on the VerumS. And yet on this VerumS setup I'm able to hear the fingering of the strings, the hand movements across the neck, the bow as it sweeps across the strings, and the sharp inhales through the nose of Rostropovich himself. And while these noises have typically only been occasional in other playbacks of this album for me, they find a far more natural setting on the VerumS, where they are integrated well into the overall playback. You hear all of it, which adds to the realism of the tonal reproduction. But these sounds are in no way obtrusive or distracting to the overall performance. I've also never heard such excellent reverb of the cello on this recording on other systems. At the end of each section Rostropovich tends to almost throw the last note out, allowing it to gently finish reverberation on his cello. This recording is already a must have for any Bach Cello Suite fan. But played on the VerumS, the sound and playback rank at the top of all playbacks I've heard for this recording. There is more of everything on the VerumS, which is exactly what a great headphone can do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back