Versatile, neutral home amps <$1000?
Mar 8, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad I can't quite justify another amp.

Why not? What's the difference between having 42 and 43 amps?
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? What's the difference between having 42 and 43 amps?
wink.gif

Cute hyperbole, Ken. I'll get you back when the time is right
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is all hypothetical, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
, but let's assume that someone would prefer to keep most of the variation in sound signature in the transducers, so he could experiment with phones for different levels of warmth, detail, agression, laid back, etc, etc. Let's also assume that he's bought into the notion that high impedance cans probably require some serious power/voltage and doesn't want to limit his journey to cans that are easy to drive. This hypothetical person wants to get a good dac (separate issue, already decided), and ONE home amp that will do it all and not add much color of its own.

The HeadAmp GS-1 nearly perfectly meets this set of criteria for under your stated budget. The GS-X would meet it even better but of course it's above your budget.

The GS-1 is very transparent. You will hear approximately 96-97% of the sound coming from your source. It's also a high-voltage, high-current amp that will power any <300 Ohm headphone effortlessly.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #19 of 26
Of the amps I have heard. I would also suggest one of the amps from Headamp. I have owned two. heard a few more. All were the most nuetral I owned. Without sounding thin or weak.
Hope you like your source.

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the amps I have heard. I would also suggest one of the amps from Headamp. I have owned two. heard a few more. All were the most nuetral I owned. Without sounding thin or weak.
Hope you like your source.

By the time I get to the amp, my source will be lossless files on hard drive through the DAC in an Apogee Duet. It won't be the highest of the high end, but I think it'll be ok. Though this conversation has me thinking about warmer possibilities. Too much information...

Tim

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

..... I'm an independent consultant "between projects" which is a very polite way of saying I'm temporarily out of work and very intensely pursuing the next thing.

Ah, we apparently have two things in common........desire for a neutral amp and the "between projects" issue!

I've been extraordinarily impressed with my CKKIII over the 10 months or so that I've owned it. It's cost effective, neutral, and has no problems at all driving HD600's, too. It's a MisterX built unit, purchased used.

Seems as if a couple from various builders turn up every month here, usually in the $200 to $250 range.

IMHO, the fact that it never became an FOTM amp here is evidence of its neutrality. Over my 30+ years in the hobby, I've found that components that make a big immediate impression generally do so because of some euphonic character that becomes tiresome with extended listening......and I don't note that with the CKKIII.

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #22 of 26
I"m acronym-challenged. What's a CKKIII? Who is MisterX? FOTM - flavor of the month, yes?

I'm not absolutely certain I'm going to need an amp yet. The Apogee Duet I intend to buy for its DAC and recording interface has a built-in headphone amp. It doesn't run on AC or batteries but, rather, draws 12 volts via fire wire from my Mac. What is the range of voltage use in the average AC-powered home amp? Any idea? I'd just like to know how it compares.

Right now, since ripping my CDs to a hard drive, I'm plugging HD 580s straight into the Mac's headphone jack. Not ideal at all, but not as bad as you might think. The thing I hear that is likely to be power-related is a somewhat boomy, indistinct bass. If the Apogee tightens that up (and does the other things I expect it to do) I might just call it good. Or I might just find a used Headroom or HeadAmp or Graham Slee or something and buy it to see of a "veil" disappears. If not, I can probably get my money back out of a good used amp, don't you think. Or, last but not least, if I like the way the Apogee sounds by itself, which I would expect to be pretty neutral, given that it is designed as a recording tool, I may order something completely different, for variety -- like a DarkVoice 332...or a pair of Beyers? I do want to make sure I have enough power, though, because I'd like to start experimenting with different cans at some point and I don't want my options limited by my amp.

Now to find the next gig so I can spend money again
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, we apparently have two things in common........desire for a neutral amp and the "between projects" issue!

I've been extraordinarily impressed with my CKKIII over the 10 months or so that I've owned it. It's cost effective, neutral, and has no problems at all driving HD600's, too. It's a MisterX built unit, purchased used.

Seems as if a couple from various builders turn up every month here, usually in the $200 to $250 range.

IMHO, the fact that it never became an FOTM amp here is evidence of its neutrality. Over my 30+ years in the hobby, I've found that components that make a big immediate impression generally do so because of some euphonic character that becomes tiresome with extended listening......and I don't note that with the CKKIII.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

I"m acronym-challenged. What's a CKKIII? Who is MisterX? FOTM - flavor of the month, yes?

I'm not absolutely certain I'm going to need an amp yet. The Apogee Duet I intend to buy for its DAC and recording interface has a built-in headphone amp. It doesn't run on AC or batteries but, rather, draws 12 volts via fire wire from my Mac. What is the range of voltage use in the average AC-powered home amp? Any idea? I'd just like to know how it compares.

Right now, since ripping my CDs to a hard drive, I'm plugging HD 580s straight into the Mac's headphone jack. Not ideal at all, but not as bad as you might think. The thing I hear that is likely to be power-related is a somewhat boomy, indistinct bass. If the Apogee tightens that up (and does the other things I expect it to do) I might just call it good. Or I might just find a used Headroom or HeadAmp or Graham Slee or something and buy it to see of a "veil" disappears. If not, I can probably get my money back out of a good used amp, don't you think. Or, last but not least, if I like the way the Apogee sounds by itself, which I would expect to be pretty neutral, given that it is designed as a recording tool, I may order something completely different, for variety -- like a DarkVoice 332...or a pair of Beyers? I do want to make sure I have enough power, though, because I'd like to start experimenting with different cans at some point and I don't want my options limited by my amp.

Now to find the next gig so I can spend money again
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

You can find more info about CKKIII and other DIY amps on Amb's site. MisterX is a professional amp builder and also a highly respected member here.

As for my suggestion, you can looking at M^3, which is also on amb's site. It is the most neutral amp (out of those from my sig.) I've heard today.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 26
CK²III or CKKIII (when I forget that the "squared" symbol is alt+0178) stands for "Cavalli Kan Kumisa III", a do-it-yourself design that is built by, among others, MisterX (a member on the forum) and thrice, proprietor of Rockhopper Audio. You can read about it here:

The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier

thrice just announced a demo program, too:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f29/ck...1/#post3904605

As to voltages....a lot of the better amps run on what amount to 24 to 30 VDC supplies (as single supplies at +24 to 30 VDC, or dual supplies at +/- 12 or 15 VDC with respect to ground), but can run on less. Most of the DIY amps don't include the power supply on the board, allowing the end user to decide how sophisticated a supply should be used.....ranging from the commonly used 24 VDC Elpac wall-wart for $35 or so, all the way up to designs that might run $200 or even more.The CK²III has a power supply on the board, which simplifies matters somewhat!

I had a PIMETA (another great little DIY amp) for a year or so that I powered with an Elpac at home and an 8xAA adapter to provide 12V for occasional portable use; I didn't find the difference to be earth-shattering. While it certainly seems that the relatively low voltage sensitivity of the HD580/600/650 should benefit from an amp that can provide higher voltage swings, my HD600's were driven quite capably by Ray Samuels' Predator on USB power only at the recent Chicago meet.

A lot depends on the type of music and your typical listening volume, but I wouldn't rush to get an additional headamp just yet until you are satisfied that it will add something to the Duet.

If I were you, I'd get the Duet without hesitation and put my name on the list for the demo CK²III. If you don't find that it provides the improvement you seek, then you're probably looking at a much more expensive headamp in the long run!

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 26
Well, I emailed to see if I can get on the list for the CK2III demo, but the m3 sounds interesting to me as well. As it turns out, one of the builders, Rockhopper, is just a couple of hours up the road from me in Chapel Hill, NC. This might be a very interesting option.

Question on the m3 -- what's with the bass boost? Is it there to add warmth to a very neutral amp? Where does it hit the frequency range and what is the extent of the boost?

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back