Versatile, neutral home amps <$1000?
Mar 8, 2008 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
This is all hypothetical, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
, but let's assume that someone would prefer to keep most of the variation in sound signature in the transducers, so he could experiment with phones for different levels of warmth, detail, agression, laid back, etc, etc. Let's also assume that he's bought into the notion that high impedance cans probably require some serious power/voltage and doesn't want to limit his journey to cans that are easy to drive. This hypothetical person wants to get a good dac (separate issue, already decided), and ONE home amp that will do it all and not add much color of its own. He starts with the following consideration set:

(various) Headroom amps
(various)Meier amps
Heed CanAmp
Graham Slee Solo
(various) Darkvoice
(various) Woo Audio
?

Opinions, recommendations, points of view are welcome. Desred, even. You can even question the entire premise if you like. I can take it. And feel free to throw out-of-production stuff in there if you like. The hypothetical person at the heart of the question is willing to shop used.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

PS: While I'm really attracted to the idea of tubes, I'm concerned about the coloration of anything this side of a very expensive tube solution. But I'm open.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 26
The Darkvoice and Heed aren't exactly neutral, but with warmer tones. I like them, but they definitely add color.

Of the amps I've heard, I'd be looking at HeadRoom desktop amps, SE and if you can stretch a bit, balanced. Also, the Eddie Current EC/SS. Although I've not heard Headamp's desktop line, from what I've read about those, and heard in the pico and AE-2, you might want to do some investigating that direction. Could be what you're looking for.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Darkvoice and Heed aren't exactly neutral, but with warmer tones. I like them, but they definitely add color.

Of the amps I've heard, I'd be looking at HeadRoom desktop amps, SE and if you can stretch a bit, balanced. Also, the Eddie Current EC/SS. Although I've not heard Headamp's desktop line, from what I've read about those, and heard in the pico and AE-2, you might want to do some investigating that direction. Could be what you're looking for.

I was hoping you'd show up here. I don't mind a bit of warmth, especially at this particular moment, when I just finished going back and forth between my 580s and Ety ER6s, and the Etys sounded WAY too bright and brittle in context (though by themselves I've always liked them). So the Heed is warm, tubish sounding? I've heard that the Headroom home amps lean to the warm side as well. And of course I would expect that of tubes. Which Darkvoice models have you heard? How did you think they compared to the Heed, for example? Do you think either of them would push the already warm Senns into mud, or do you expect that the additional power would open things up? I know...too many questions.

Tim

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 26
Heed, Corda & Darkvoice definitely add colorization.
I agree with boomana, they add warmer tones and slight darker background.

For neutral amp, have you heard Headamp GS-1 or GS-X ?
and my friend reported Little Dot MKIV are quite neutral too.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 26
I had the Darkvoice 336i and the Heed at the same time. I've since sold the Darkvoice and kept the Canamp. I didn't like either with the 650s, but I liked the Darkvoice with 580s (I've since sold), and I like the Canamp with 600s. Both amps presented the 650's bass as a heaviness, though someone may have hit on a tube combo with the DV to alleviate that. There's no problem with that with either the 600s or 580s. Nice, full sound. More forward mids on the DV if I remember, but it was awhile ago. The small footprint of the Canamp makes it a really nice transportable as well.

I have a hard time thinking of HeadRoom amps as warm, and i'm not sure where you've heard that. They certainly aren't bright, but pretty damn neutral in comparison to others that I've heard. That's sometimes the problem they face around here on this forum. People are looking for WOW factor when they plug in (e.g., the coloration and oomph Xin amps throw at you) and these don't come at you that way.

I've heard only the earlier version of the Eddie Current EC/SS, which I heard the same day I got my Canamp. If I hadn't bought the Heed, I would have gone for that amp. It has a real clean, intimate presentation, and though it was over a year ago, I don't remember having overt any problems with it and the 650s and I do remember listening to them together. At that same time, a few of us listened to the X-cans II and III. I preferred both the Heed and EC/SS to them. The EC/SS is definitely more neutral than the Heed, but at that time, I was into a warmer sound. Now, I'm leaning the other way. Ah well.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 26
I think I'm looking for neutrality because I want to try some different cans - Beyers, perhaps AKGs - but at the same time, I admit I'm a bit of a midrange freak. If neutral would mean recessed mids, I wouldn't like that. I'm thinking maybe I need to get in the dac that I want and then shop for amps on the used market, where I could turn them over without losing much money. Was your DV quiet enough?

Tim

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 26
DV was quiet. It's one of the best "bang for the buck" amps out there. IIRC, it was $265 shipped. The tubes really need to be changed from stock ASAP, but that's it. I didn't spend much time tube rolling, but there are a couple threads dedicated to that. It's also been around for awhile now (no longer FOTM) and is still appreciated. If I hadn't bought another tube amp, I would have kept it.

If you like midrange, and are looking to branch out into other headphones later down the line, there's nothing quite like the K340s mids for under $1000. Beautiful. They are a real good match with either the DV or Heed, and those headphones are very difficult to drive. The Canamp and DV can also handle the 701s per reports from folks I trust.

But then again, if you're looking at Senns and a neutral amp, do take your time and check out HeadRoom's desktop line or Headamp products before making any decision. Or, come to CanJam, hear them all and then decide.
biggrin.gif

Oh, I almost forgot. I'd do a search on a DIY beauty that runs around $400 and is pretty neutral: CKKIII. Rockhopper builds it. I only listened to it with 600s, but I liked it quite a bit.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 26
K340 was discontinued awhile ago, but can still be bought around here and on ebay for under $250. They come up for sale fairly frequently. Another truly great bang for the buck. Most of us (not all) have found that a recable and some mods improve it greatly, and a beefy amp is a must.

Sure you're not coming to CanJam?

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any love for the Yamamoto? It sure is a sexy thing.

Tim

Yep. I got lucky enough to spend an evening with the Yamamoto, and then again at a couple larger meets for a little bit. It actually did quite well with the K701s (they'd been recabled, so I'm not sure how much of the effect had to do with that, but I really liked it). I don't remember listening with Senns. I spent most the time with it and W2002s. Sweet combo. It wasn't able to handle the K340s.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K340 was discontinued awhile ago, but can still be bought around here and on ebay for under $250. They come up for sale fairly frequently. Another truly great bang for the buck. Most of us (not all) have found that a recable and some mods improve it greatly, and a beefy amp is a must.

Sure you're not coming to CanJam?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I'm an independent consultant "between projects" which is a very polite way of saying I'm temporarily out of work and very intensely pursuing the next thing. And of course if I find it before CanJam, then I'll be doing it. I don't take much time off...

Tim

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 26
I would add at that price point:

LisaIIIXP/LLP (it's de facto a home amp)
Yamamoto HA-02

(for your parameters - max versatility and highest SQ, I would probably pick Lisa III -- I've used it with RS1, W5000, W1000, HD650/580 all with good effect and bass boost to dial in, eg RS1 + reversed bowls + LIII bass boost max = quasi PS1. Try some W5000 with some bass boost too -- that's a righteous sound! Also source is very important -- I think people run DAPs into LIII -- my recommendation and experience is running 840C - quite eye-opening. HA-02 is more finicky with headphone choice so it probably disqualifies from your criteria. I've had ECSSv2 and Opera (analog) and GS-1 before. Don't miss the first two, maybe I should have kept GS-1. Last tidbit on LIII I stumbled on -- it can drive my K1000's semi credibly using XLR to 1/4" adaptor (plenty loud at 12 o'clock volume, ear splitting at 2 o'clock, no distortion or clipping). Not going to replace my Almarro or Bryston integrated for K1000 duty, but just shows you the clean power from LIIIXP/LLP).

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 26
I really would like to hear the Lisa III. As a fan of Phil's designs, I can only guess it to be quite good or better than good. Too bad I can't quite justify another amp.

I also played with the Yammy and K1000s through the speaker taps. Not the greatest, but fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back