Verdict on Linear Power Supplies? (LPS)
Jul 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #16 of 28
  But you feel an LPS is perhaps necessary (and makes an audible difference) with higher quality gear?

High quality gear is by definition "high quality"!  Any large modification has a good possibility of making it less high quality.  The people that do modifications, then after only listening tests declare it better are leading others down a dangerous path.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #17 of 28

Here at least we need far better evidence than feel. And it would not be difficult to empirically test the effect of power supplies either via measurements of audio parameters or blind testing !

In the case of power supply modifications, you need to test many parameters under different conditions. Just measuring the audio parameters is not enough. Only doing blind testing will miss many problems.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 28
  Name the parameters that are needed then, or explain the problems that blind tests will miss.

Just read the power supply chapters in the Doug Self or Bob Cordell books.

The combination just might be oscillating at 30 MHz.
Or it might be generating RFI like crazy.
Or it might have other nastiness under certain conditions.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 28
Both high frequency oscillations and high RFI output are perfectly measurable (and I agree with you, both of those would be bad). Fortunately, a good SMPS powered device can easily be made to neither oscillate nor output excessive RFI.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 28
Jan 15, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 28
What problem are you trying to fix? Do you live in a location where the power is messed up?

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 28
What I'm trying to achieve a lower noise floor and overall better listening experience. The wall wart that came with my ENOG2 dac was a tiny thing and upgrading to a LPS made a gigantic difference in sound. The purpose of the LPS, though, was to be used for my headphone amp (Project Horizon). Garage1217 just added a supercharger to the Horizon and I'm waiting for it to be shipped back to me so when it's here, my LPS would go to it and I'm looking for another LPS for the ENOG2. Just curious to know which might be a better build.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #24 of 28
Do you have a refrigerator or something plugged in on the same circuit? You shouldn't be getting power line noise unless there is something weird with the wiring in your house. I can see having something like this on a computer if you have lightning strikes in your area or brownouts. What kind of noise are you getting? Clicks when stuff in other rooms switch on and off? Adding a dedicated circuit to your power box would fix that. Another alternative would be to just get a battery powered amp. You'll probably find that just plugging in to a different circuit will fix your noise problems. You just don't want to be on a circuit with refrigerators or AC units or that sort of thing. They can introduce clicks when thermostats kick in.

It's best to identify a problem before you look for a solution. Audiophoolery is creating costly solutions for problems that don't really exist. Audio equipment that has been properly designed shouldn't need something like this.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #25 of 28
Power supplies must be considered part of the audio product. While it is easy to think of them just supplying DC volts at an appropriate current, there is as always more to it.

Unfortunately the audiophile community is prone to just throwing overkill current, capacitors and transformer mass at the problem. This can work so they get the impression this is necessary.

First of all SMPS can be fine, but it is more likely to cause issues when not properly matched. The audio circuitry has PSRR: Power Supply Rejection Ratio. This is a measure of how indifferent an audio section is to noise on the power supply. This should be hugely indifferent, at low frequencies where "linear" supplies opperate. However SMPS are high frequency, where the rejection needs to be considered. Some sections, even opamps, have gain from the power suply, not rejection. So a badly matched supply can add noise to the output. Rare to measure it directly in audio magazine style measurements, as it hides in less conventional measurements, but not to be ignored.

I take exception to the term "linear" power supplies. They are usually very non linear when it comes to power amp supplies. But they are easire to cope with.

A good SMPS is very likely to be better than linear, but only with understanding and system wide design, and not some throw in wallwart.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #26 of 28
Thank you for your carefully detailed response!

Because of the effect my LPS has made on my personal taste in audio I've really been curious to learn more about power supplies. It's interesting to see all of the different designs, like amplifiers, and I even considered ordering one of those R-core PSUs from ebay. I keep hearing that the R-core design is low noise and efficient. Of course, like all things, it must be manufactured in an efficient and well planned way in order to be effective.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #27 of 28
Thank you for your carefully detailed response!

Because of the effect my LPS has made on my personal taste in audio I've really been curious to learn more about power supplies. It's interesting to see all of the different designs, like amplifiers, and I even considered ordering one of those R-core PSUs from ebay. I keep hearing that the R-core design is low noise and efficient. Of course, like all things, it must be manufactured in an efficient and well planned way in order to be effective.

If I am making the right connection, R-core is when the transformer core is laminates formed in approximately circular cross section. I have seen them, and heard the opinions, but I have not seen any quantifying measurements or specifications backing them up. I'm not saying they do not have merit, but I cannot say either way.

There are likely more important aspects to consider. However sometimes when someone is convinced a particular technology is the way to go, they spend extra care and effort to prove the case. Thus may lead to a well sorted power supply, for other reasons.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #28 of 28
I say plug it in stock and listen carefully for a problem. If you don't hear any problems don't go looking for non existent problems to solve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back