Verdict on Linear Power Supplies? (LPS)
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

dclaz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm wondering if there is a objective/scientific consensus on the utility of LPS? I'm backing the Geek Pulse campaign over at Indiegogo, and am curious, or rather skeptical about the improvement in quality gained by adding a LPS, a cost of an extra $400.

I'm aware that one can spend a lot of LPS for other brands hardware, but is such a unit likely to improve any measurements?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 28
A competent amplifier should come with a matching power supply. If it doesn't it probably makes more sense to consider getting a different amp than spending on a(nother) power supply.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 28
Well, better power shouldn't make it any worse. There's just a point where limiting factors are other things, you know. You can get very low noise and no funny stuff happening at high power outputs (until the output electronics start clipping) from an amp and DAC without some really overengineered power supply.

Depends on how the rest is designed, really. For example, if it has a very low power supply rejection ratio, making the power supply outputs less noisy could significantly and audibly reduce the noise level at the output.

Considering that the thing is sold without such a $400 LPS unit and this was apparently a request from some backers and maybe not part of the original design, it sounds like something that could be safely skipped.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 28
  A competent amplifier should come with a matching power supply. If it doesn't it probably makes more sense to consider getting a different amp than spending on a(nother) power supply.

I'd agree.
  Well, better power shouldn't make it any worse. There's just a point where limiting factors are other things, you know. You can get very low noise and no funny stuff happening at high power outputs (until the output electronics start clipping) from an amp and DAC without some really overengineered power supply.

Depends on how the rest is designed, really. For example, if it has a very low power supply rejection ratio, making the power supply outputs less noisy could significantly and audibly reduce the noise level at the output.

Considering that the thing is sold without such a $400 LPS unit and this was apparently a request from some backers and maybe not part of the original design, it sounds like something that could be safely skipped.

Also agreed, here. But what about in theory? Are claims like these justified?

From Larry Ho on the LPS:

1. Free up the highs
2. Sound stage will be deeper
3. Smoother string instrument (e.g. Guitar, Violin...)

For some others, they will feel even better at bass response and strength.

And there is some good reasons behind it:

Lack of high frequency noises generated by switching power and intermodulation, more linear output impedance of power supply over frequency, lower equivalent output resistance as well...

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 28
Funny how keen some people were to get the LPS. They sold 100 in few hours I believe. 
eek.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 28
Ouch pricy. I built a linear power and stuck it into an enclosure for ~$50 to feed an ODAC.  It made a considerable difference, and some of the points Larry Ho makes (whoever he is) i agree with.  Now if that unit is also a headphone amplifier, then it will certainly be an improvement over some cheap switching power supply wall brick supply.

But $400 is too much IMO...

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 28
i myself have experienced the difference with just different batteries. but the difference is subjective to you are using. seriously speaking, imo is quite seriously subtle, for me. i won't be able yo differentiate if not for my favourite track.

but frankly speakly speaking even in theory is true to what as Larry claimed. whether one can hear the difference is up to an individual. just like food, some chef can differentiate the slightest saltness. most people cannot.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 28
We all eagerly await some objective evidence of the extent of the effect of power supplies
wink.gif
, this would be trivial , record the output from device A using crappy power supply and again with übermensch power supply remember to level match, slam the samples into any old audio editor and compare or invert and null - hardly rocket science

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 28
Looks quite a bit more sophisticated than the average DIY LPS:

http://geek.lhlabs.com/media/kunena/attachments/42/lps_nichicon2.jpg

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geeklps/1571-lps-power-supply-caps.html?limitstart=0

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 28
  But you feel an LPS is perhaps necessary (and makes an audible difference) with higher quality gear?

Here at least we need far better evidence than feel. And it would not be difficult to empirically test the effect of power supplies either via measurements of audio parameters or blind testing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back