Venting the drivers RISKS? Alessandro MS1i vent mod gone unexpected
Mar 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kisswithguns

New Head-Fier
Hi. I just got the idea that i would start modifying my MS1i's with the 'driver venting' modification.. It didn't seem to work the way it was described though. The idea was to knock up the bass, also giving the cans a more clear sound altogether. But it seems to me that the only thing that came out of the experiment was that the sound instead got 'punchtured', and some of the 'woof' behind the drums, etc. was replaced by a more muddy, yet stronger bass frequence, that also seemed to make the general fq-response, and perhaps the soundstage, more vague and non-punchy. So, is it just me being paranoid over 'increased bass', or have i done something wrong? I have vented the wholes from the driver's backsite, with the masking on, which was done with a knitting needle that could go through the grille.. could i eventually have punctured it too deep in? (i can see that there is no harm done to the drivers, so the problem, if we call it that, should lie somewhere else.)

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Sounds pretty accurate, cover the holes back up with some thin black weavers cloth or muslin, cut the pieces to size and glue (i used tacky glue). Also beware of the dynamat mod, most people turn out to not like that one either.. (some people do with plastic cups though, no one ever likes it with wood.)

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you very much man! I just heard that these mods really makes the sound come out and stuff... But i find them weakened. Hope this advice will restore the original sound, grado ftfw

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 5
i did the 4 hole poke and i feel like its a lot better. i guess it all depends on what you like. it really brought some bass out. when i first listened i was shocked at how the bass was completely absent. i thought the dt880s were devoid of low end but i was shocked. after the venting its gotta better, in terms of what i like. definitely wouldn't call it muddy or bloated by any means.still towards the barely there part of the spectrum. at least i can feel the kicks now.

chris, do you know if the felt is worth doing?

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
i did the 4 hole poke and i feel like its a lot better. i guess it all depends on what you like. it really brought some bass out. when i first listened i was shocked at how the bass was completely absent. i thought the dt880s were devoid of low end but i was shocked. after the venting its gotta better, in terms of what i like. definitely wouldn't call it muddy or bloated by any means.still towards the barely there part of the spectrum. at least i can feel the kicks now.

chris, do you know if the felt is worth doing?

what felt where? and seeing as we disagree on the hole punch mod... Why would you ask me? lol  When it comes to plastic grados the only mods I suggest are trying out some dynamat on the back, as far as sound is concerned. Most of the mods are snake oil and they actually wind up detracting from the sound. with the exception of tuning wood cups. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back