Velour Pads for ATH-A900?
Nov 15, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Heh, I've been thinking around the same lines too
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I'll bump this since this is the exact question I was looking to ask. Any luck on this fellas? Anyone have any ideas?

I thought I was fairly sure some of the higher end Audio Technicas had velour pads. Would those fit? If so, where do you get something like that? I'm having no luck.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLordThyGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll bump this since this is the exact question I was looking to ask. Any luck on this fellas? Anyone have any ideas?

I thought I was fairly sure some of the higher end Audio Technicas had velour pads. Would those fit? If so, where do you get something like that? I'm having no luck.

Yes, they fit, I've swapped the velours from my AD900 over to my A900. But there is a problem, the velour pads murder the bass response of the A900 and make it sound sterile + anemic.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Haha, yeah the normal pads make your ears very tired.

May 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they fit, I've swapped the velours from my AD900 over to my A900. But there is a problem, the velour pads murder the bass response of the A900 and make it sound sterile + anemic.

And what about comfort? Did it improve?

And can you tell me something about leaking?
Although i think it should still be better than an open headphone like the AD900, it may leak a little more than A900 original pleather pads. But I'm just guessing.

I want to wear them in my office so can live with a "not excellent bass/sound" if its comfortable.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Chiming in...

My A900 pads were completely demolished, so I needed replacements(not wanting the same crappy pleather again...). So I ordered the A900X pads, which are a very durable, rather stiff/non-pliable pad that made the sound very dark/bassy. :frowning2: I was very dissatisfied, especially after paying $40 for them from Japan. I was curious about what difference a stiffer pad would make, but I had no idea it would be so extreme... Fed up, I simply called Audio-Technica to ask for a new pair(after reading people on forums saying they called and got a free pair). I'm not sure if they make/sell the original A900 pleather pads anymore, but A-T sent me the AD900 velour pads for a mere $11. They fit, were easy to install(after I noticed the pad seam lines up with the bottom of the can), they are massively comfy(thank God), and best of all, I have my sound back!!! Well, most of the sound. Yes, these very soft velour pads decrease the bass from the original A900 pleather pads, but I would absolutely choose these over the A900X or A900 pads. Just adjust your EQ a bit.

Comparison of these 3 pads(on A900 phones)::

A900:
+   The most balanced sound
+   Oval shaped
+/- Medium comfort
+/- Most foam/padding (makes your head hot quick)
-    Pleather...

A900X:
+ Most durable
-  Circle shaped
-  Very dark/bassy sound
-  If you're 'sweatophobic', avoid these...

AD900:
+ Velour, velour, velour = comfort!
+ Oval shaped
-  A bit more clean/sterile/trebley sound VS A900
-  Low quality audio is very noticeable/annoying

**Update:
I found out why the A900 pads are special: they have a thin plastic seal/backplate directly behind the foam! Cut that out, stick it in the AD900 pads, then perhaps add a thin cut-out ring of semi-dense cloth to add some pad distance from the speakers, and you should be able to have your cake & eat it, too! The AD900 pads have a foam-rubber-like backplate/seal, which must be causing the sound leak. Although this does seem to improve the bass, the bright highs are still there. I would advise not buying more pads for hopefully better sound, and instead save up that money for HE-400's or something totally new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back