Vegetarian headphones?
Aug 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, thats a step beyond vegetarianism... you're entering the realm of a vegan (sp?) at this stage. A gal I used to play volleyball with was a Vegan. She refused to wear leather court shoes and play with a leather ball. She was really stubborn too and made an issue of the dam ball every time. She didn't last a month on this team, she couldn't blend in with this team of savages.

Ughhh. I can't stand the ones that preach.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 174
Superpredator;3158639 said:
Just to contrast with the grillicious picture above:

LOL... I edited my post above, to avoid offending anyone. I joke about it, but it can be a sensitive subject.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #33 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
makes me feel like a big, fat hypocrite to go way the hell out of my way to not eat a hamburger, but use headphones that are made with animal skin.

Hey, I'd go way out of my way not a eat a burger and I'm not even vegetarian. Well, I figure I'm actually 90% vegetarian (definitely not vegan though) on ethical and ecological grounds.
I don't know why you'd feel like a hypocrite for being non-dogmatic. I don't think a rational case can be made to avoid small leather products on ethical grounds... just about any electronic product you buy is going to hurt animals as well as people one way or another. Get used to it... or simply buy less stuff. Buy quality items that will last a long time and buy used.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #34 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a rational case can be made to avoid small leather products on ethical grounds... just about any electronic product you buy is going to hurt animals as well as people one way or another. Get used to it... or simply buy less stuff. Buy quality items that will last a long time and buy used.

It doesn't have anything to do with dogma. I think the ethical case for eating meat is stronger than the ethical case for using leather for a (let's face it) recreational product. Although I agree that compromises are necessary and that there isn't such a thing as a completely cruelty-free lifestyle in this day and age, a rational case is rather easy to make against purchasing leather-containing products, assuming that you are willing to accept a couple of a priori grounds for vegetarianism in general (see Singer's books, as the poster above mentioned). I do my best to get used items containing animal products and make them last as long as possible...but I'm still going to feel a little uneasy when I get leather headphones. Luckily I'm older and more cynical than I used to be, so I can get past it.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #35 of 174
I don't have a problem with eating meat/handling leather myself, but I don't have any problem with ppl that choose not to either. Perhaps it could be useful for vegans to compile a list of leather-free headphones...

But I do have a problem with hypocrisy. But I really wouldn't call "sinning against ones self-imposed rules" by using leather once in a while (like what Boomana and Jeffreybar talk about) hypocrisy. I think one can do much more harm by following them dogmatically while not seeing the hypocrisy at a deeper level. Like my vegan niece who's into all environmental stuff and often preaches to the rest of the family like she is the only one caring about nature etc. But I found out she orders vegan pseudo-gelatinous candy from the US... which has to be flown to Belgium. Don't airplanes burn fossil fuels? And she bleaches/colors her hair with pretty harmful chemicals which go straight down the drain...

So just live by your ideals as good as you can, but without preaching and without doing more harm than good just so you can say you didn't 'sin'

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 174
I'm sorry that none of the headphones are "Vegetarian".

There were countless micro-organisms killed during the raw materials processing.

wink.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #37 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ethical case for eating meat is stronger than the ethical case for using leather for a (let's face it) recreational product.

Abstract meat, yeah. Most meat that's on the market in most places? Hell no! You've got to consider the why and the how of the production.
Admittedly, the why part is subjective...

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your reasons for being vegetarian?

perhaps it's related to the commandment, 'thou shall not kill' .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a hamburger from Wendy's the other week after nearly a six-year hiatus from fast food. It tasted like poop. No foolin' poop.

and you know this how?
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 174
To the OP: I'm all for adding headphones to a collection (just ask anyone who knows me), but I see that you already have the HD650s. You might want to simply spend your money on a recable and then on a better amp and source. With each change, it's like getting a new and improved headphone...seriously.

Question to others: I don't remember because it's been a while since I owned the SR60s and MS1s, but they do they have leather?

People chose a vegetarian lifestyle for as many different reasons as there are vegetarians. Rather than talking trash (not that anyone here has gone too far) because you choose differently, I hope people would respect the OP's choice, and at least understand that it takes a certain amount of courage to live a vegan lifestyle in today's world, even if you don't understand it.

Just the idea of combining hobbies with veganism is difficult. There are companies that make vegan baseball gloves, volleyballs, etc. and even companies that make non-leather ballet slippers. The problem is that they are rarely as good as the leather products. Musical instruments can sometimes be difficult. Paint brushes for artists, etc. That the OP can even find really good headphones (HD650) that have no leather, makes this hobby pretty easy.

Before I turn this into a weird vegetarian thread, which I don't think was the OP's intention, I want to dispell any idea that vegans are always loud-mouth preachers for the cause or pain-in-the-arse folks to be around. Most live normal, quiet lives, and you would never know...though my doctor had to question my stunning low cholesterol level
biggrin.gif
...I don't drink either, and look at the FL crew I hang out with! It's a personal choice, but one we don't put on other people unless someone wants to know.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #43 of 174
I would like to pull this even further.
wink.gif

Could a "hardcore" vegetarian listen to music played on an instrument which include an animal product? Example violin...

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #44 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vegetarian = Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter".

Egad. That's exactly the type of post I was hoping my post would help avoid.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #45 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to pull this even further.
wink.gif

Could a "hardcore" vegetarian listen to music played on an instrument which include an animal product? Example violin...

I'm sure that there are some people out there like that, but that's way too extreme, even for me to think about. Again, the majority of vegans try to fit into the world while upholding their personal values. We sometimes have to make choices we don't like. But egad, we ain't freaks (well, at least not that way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back