Vegetarian headphones?
Aug 4, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #166 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The response here, albeit predictable, has been muted compared to what I've encountered in the past. One omnivore on another board posted, (in all caps), "WELCOME TO THE FARM, screw!" Engaging bantor, that, to be sure.
rolleyes.gif

And this was on a Goth board, where you'd figure folks would be more open to alternative lifestyles subject to ridicule, being as they all lead, well, alternative lifestyles subject to ridicule.

In my experience, some of the most conformist, close-minded people that I've met have lead alternative lifestyles.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #167 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, some of the most conformist, close-minded people that I've met have lead alternative lifestyles.

Speaking for Goth, it's a sorta weird dual situation. The clubs themselves are very laid back; a woman can run around all night in an ultra sleek or even skimpy outfit w/no fear of sexual harrassment (although these women are smart enough to don a larger overcoat before leaving, because wearing such an outfit on the street is an invitation to unwanted attention). Ditto if you're obviously gay, etc.; no one will bug you about it at all. In that way, they are very open, very accepting. But the online communities I've participated in are every bit as cliquish and dysfunctional as any other type of online community. (Again, this board has so far seemed very tame in comparison to other online communities.) And so, yes, in that situation, I've endured my share of online mocking and putdowns for being a vege-head.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #168 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol - or not so much...what's the big deal? It seems light hearted enough for me.

Because you're mocking a lifestyle choice and not contributing to the original intent of the thread...which is to find a headphone choice that doesn't include animal products.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #169 of 174
I haven't read the entire post, but, I've skimmed a few pages pulling out a pearl of wisdom here and there. Reading them to my wife (who's vegetarian). We both think some of the comments here are pretty damn funny.

By the way, I loved it that my wife was a vegetarian when we first started dating. She was a very cheap date when it came to eating out. All the vegetarian meals are much cheaper than say a steak, prime rib...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and she loves it when I stack a bunch of nawed on rib bones on a plate <sarcasm>.

Edit: oops, I thought this post was way off the op's topic with no intention of returning. My apologies.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #170 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking for Goth, it's a sorta weird dual situation. The clubs themselves are very laid back; a woman can run around all night in an ultra sleek or even skimpy outfit w/no fear of sexual harrassment (although these women are smart enough to don a larger overcoat before leaving, because wearing such an outfit on the street is an invitation to unwanted attention). Ditto if you're obviously gay, etc.; no one will bug you about it at all. In that way, they are very open, very accepting. But the online communities I've participated in are every bit as cliquish and dysfunctional as any other type of online community. (Again, this board has so far seemed very tame in comparison to other online communities.) And so, yes, in that situation, I've endured my share of online mocking and putdowns for being a vege-head.

This is the only online community I've participated in other than professional listservs. I was speaking of people I've met face to face. Have you had this type of abuse in real life? I've never seen it before. One place I worked, 80% of my coworkers were NRA members and active hunters. One coworker was a hard core vegetarian and one day, for an office party, she brought in tofu "cream cheese" danish that she had made. No-one ridiculed her. Not everyone was willing to try them, but nobody cared if anyone else did and liked them.

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #171 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you're mocking a lifestyle choice and not contributing to the original intent of the thread...which is to find a headphone choice that doesn't include animal products.

dude...

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #172 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then what else is there to post about in this thread? The OP should pretty much know what "cruelty free" headphone choices he has now. Only limit is his budget.

We're just further beating a dead horse (that died of natural causes) now. So we can either keep discussing pro-vege and pro-meat opinions, or just close this thread down, because we are discussing more political issues rather than actual headphones.

For the OP, please copy and paste all the "cruelty free" headphones people listed into your first post in this thread, and it can serve as a list for those that are interested. For everyone else, Boomana started an excellent discussion in the members lounge where we can continue discussing the pure vegetarian dicussion minus the headphone part, which is pretty much all this thread is now.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253423

-Ed

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #173 of 174
Hey man, equal time!

The carnivore thread went down in flames, time for the veggie tale to follow suit!

LOL!

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #174 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're just further beating a dead horse (that died of natural causes) now.

LOL
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back