VE Monk or VE Monk Lite?
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 27
that's weird. Can't be because you're from the UK. They ship world wide afaik and I'm certain some of the guys in the big ear buds thread here are from the UK...great place to look for ear bud info btw.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
Yeah, just an observation for the sellers I used (NICEHCK and AK Audio for the TIN T2s) Since then I have found a few UK transactions, but on more expensive IEMs. Creative are offering their Aurvana Air for £45 down from £170. Seems compelling, but again, how much more am I getting for my extra money with them? After all, I think they were released in 2009 and Creative aren't exactly a go to audiophile brand. Then again, they are supposed to deliver the airy, open sound I am craving, might take a look...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 27
Aliexpress is your friend. :)

Vidos do have the J cable yes.
My Vido has a normal Y-split cable.
It also has an in-line remote. So if you prefer that style cable, look for the one with the remote.
They're cheapest on aliexpress and cost about double on eb@y.

Even when 'overpriced' on ebay, the value for money to sound quality ratio is really insane.
Budget IEMs can't hold a candle to these buds.

Apr 5, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 27
My Vido has a normal Y-split cable.
It also has an in-line remote. So if you prefer that style cable, look for the one with the remote.
They're cheapest on aliexpress and cost about double on eb@y.

Even when 'overpriced' on ebay, the value for money to sound quality ratio is really insane.
Budget IEMs can't hold a candle to these buds.
How do they compare to the Yincrow X6? I've heard good things about that and it's available on eBay. Grado like sound? Thanks

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 27
How do they compare to the Yincrow X6? I've heard good things about that and it's available on eBay. Grado like sound? Thanks

I've only got:
Vido
Kube v1
Kube v2
Sabia V6
ANN200
and the only one that's easy to find and readily available is the Vido.

The most Grado'ish bud I have is the ANN200, and I acquired mine through a special one-time batch on ebay... I think normally you have to contact the seller directly (from China), but I have no idea where that contact/forum is.
Best to ask in the earbud round-up thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 27
I've only got:
Vido
Kube v1
Kube v2
Sabia V6
ANN200
and the only one that's easy to find and readily available is the Vido.

The most Grado'ish bud I have is the ANN200, and I acquired mine through a special one-time batch on ebay... I think normally you have to contact the seller directly (from China), but I have no idea where that contact/forum is.
Best to ask in the earbud round-up thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
Just read up on the Yincrows, apparently they're just rebranded Vidos with better wires, but more expensive so of I get them, I guess I'll just see which ships quicker or soemthing. For their price, I might as well check them out, especially with all the glowing reviews. Just a few questions first, do they fit flush against your ears? I like to listen to music in bed and my earpods don't do a great job as they stick out a little and put pressure on my ears. Also, how much do they benefit from an amp? I'm considering buying osmething like the Shanling M0 or Fiio M3K for portable use as my Samsung's dac is awful and struggles to even power my earpods.

thanks for all the help thus far guys :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 27
Just read up on the Yincrows, apparently they're just rebranded Vidos with better wires, but more expensive so of I get them, I guess I'll just see which ships quicker or soemthing. For their price, I might as well check them out, especially with all the glowing reviews. Just a few questions first, do they fit flush against your ears? I like to listen to music in bed and my earpods don't do a great job as they stick out a little and put pressure on my ears. Also, how much do they benefit from an amp? I'm considering buying osmething like the Shanling M0 or Fiio M3K for portable use as my Samsung's dac is awful and struggles to even power my earpods.

thanks for all the help thus far guys :)
Nah, they don't fit flush, I can only use them in bed if I stay lying on my back, or on my side if I put the pillow higher up so there's no pressure on my ears.
I havn't noticed any real significant difference between sources, and my Samsung S7 Edge will play them loud enough quite easily, so I guess amping is not critical... although it might greatly depend on the phone model.
Never had any problems with iPod classic + Fiio E17, O2 + ODAC, or NFB11.28... in fact I rarely listen to anything without amping, so I'm probably not the guy to ask about it ^_^

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #22 of 27
Nah, they don't fit flush, I can only use them in bed if I stay lying on my back, or on my side if I put the pillow higher up so there's no pressure on my ears.
I havn't noticed any real significant difference between sources, and my Samsung S7 Edge will play them loud enough quite easily, so I guess amping is not critical... although it might greatly depend on the phone model.
Never had any problems with iPod classic + Fiio E17, O2 + ODAC, or NFB11.28... in fact I rarely listen to anything without amping, so I'm probably not the guy to ask about it ^_^
Eh I guess I can live without a flush fit if they sound natural. I dunno how good this guy is to go off of but he said that these are sort of V shaped-

And that the Monks and Qian 69 are more balanced. Monks are as I have been told not as good as others nowadays but the Qian is available for £15 on eBay. I don't know what to do now :beyersmile: I want a natural sound but everyone's opnions seem to contradict one another's. I'd love to buy them all and try em, but can't return ones whihc I don'tlike so it'd be a waste of money haha. How much better are earbuds than IEMs? As I said earlier, I'm getting some pretty good deals (with more consistent sound and subsequently more consistent reviews) on hiogher end in ears. Besides, Fianl Audio apparently have the exact sound signature I'm looking for, for a bit more at £30 in the E1000. I need help :beyersmile:

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 27
I don't know what to do now :beyersmile: I want a natural sound but everyone's opnions seem to contradict one another's.

Honestly, I've learned it's kind of natural that opinions are more wild and unreliable with buds, because the fit and resulting sound of buds has the greatest variation of any kind of worn audio device.
With headphones and IEMs, the consensus usually comes down to using a specific set of ear pads or foam tips, but with earbuds, it's more of a case of finding out which foams (or lack of), or how many foams or rubber rings work best for your ears.
Some of these new buds from China and Indonesia are capable of putting out really crazy levels of bass (and good bass too), but because the fit can be as loose and airy as you like, it's very easy to tune most of it out if you prefer it that way without any detriment to the rest of the sound.
It simply comes down to the shape/size of your outer ear, so a cheap Vido is the best place to start.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 27
I bought the Monk Plus and I think they are OK, nothing incredible about them, as someone already said, the apple ones are about the same, but the price of the Monks is just great. I like these because they don't go inside your ear canal.

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 27
Well if you like earbuds and only have $5 to spend the VE Monks are just ok to me I’ll take the Apple EarPods that came with my phone over them.
I think that if you give some extra juice to the Monks they obliterate any Apple headphone including the Max. Do not need to go to desktop equipment, just with something like the Zishan U1.

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 27
I think that if you give some extra juice to the Monks they obliterate any Apple headphone including the Max. Do not need to go to desktop equipment, just with something like the Zishan U1.
FWIW I could not get behind the much-hyped VE Monk at all. I get a weird reverb around everything that I've never heard in any other earbud or IEM.

The Yincrow X6, also mentioned in this 3-year-old thread, is bassy and muffled and pretty useless too.

I made the mistake of reading and believing the earbuds thread a while back. Not any more.

If you're desperate for cheap earbuds for some reason, you could try the Qian 39, which is at the very bottom end of tolerable.

But you will do much better --sound, comfort -- with the famous magic cheap IEMs: the Sony MH755 if you don't get counterfeits.

They sit entirely inside your ear, so they are even lower profile than earbuds.

Head-fi people have said this Ebay seller is legit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304069747002

I got my real MH755 from spassear, also on Ebay, now more expensive than the other seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352537526219

Don't bother with aliexpress unless you want counterfeits.

Another low-priced IEM that's way better than equivalent earbuds: QKZ VK4, though you might have to try a bunch of tips to get a good fit.

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 27
FWIW I could not get behind the much-hyped VE Monk at all. I get a weird reverb around everything that I've never heard in any other earbud or IEM.

The Yincrow X6, also mentioned in this 3-year-old thread, is bassy and muffled and pretty useless too.

I made the mistake of reading and believing the earbuds thread a while back. Not any more.

If you're desperate for cheap earbuds for some reason, you could try the Qian 39, which is at the very bottom end of tolerable.

But you will do much better --sound, comfort -- with the famous magic cheap IEMs: the Sony MH755 if you don't get counterfeits.

They sit entirely inside your ear, so they are even lower profile than earbuds.

Head-fi people have said this Ebay seller is legit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304069747002

I got my real MH755 from spassear, also on Ebay, now more expensive than the other seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352537526219

Don't bother with aliexpress unless you want counterfeits.

Another low-priced IEM that's way better than equivalent earbuds: QKZ VK4, though you might have to try a bunch of tips to get a good fit.
Thanks a lot, but I just ordered the Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis a couple of day ago. Cannot share what you think of the Monks but to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back