VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #1,096 of 3,324

Not much of a earbud user myself but been reading some really interesting impressions about VE buds here, hence ordered Monk from aliexpress. Thanks @zhibli06 for unlocking cheaper shipping option of china air mail. :)

yeah, thanks Lee for the kind gesture. Now, I'm ready to order. :-

you are welcome.

Cheers 

Lee

p.s. it is not like we didn't wanna do it properly( we are still not done with the store setting & etc)
, please understand we are just a tiny company , which limited resources. So things will happen, but not all at once.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #1,097 of 3,324
thanks Lee. would it be possible to make a black Zen? if the monk (which is on its way) can prove its prowess, I might bite the Zen trap and get indulged.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #1,099 of 3,324
Received my Monk today! Spent the noon comparing it with Yuin PK3 and I must say I'm blown away!
This review mainly compares VE Monk to Yuin PK3

Setup:
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9506
Poweramp music app ~> V-shaped equalizer ('Rock' in Poweramp), Preamp maxed, ReplayGain applied & on

Technical / objective comparisons:
Despite being same resistance and lower sensitivity than the PK3, the Monk is MUCH easier to drive. I need to press volume up 3 times for PK3 to reach the same volume.
Build quality wise, the Monk is definitely superior to the PK3. Significantly bigger and study audio jack, and the double wire makes it more or less tangle-free! Comfort wise, both are almost equally comfortable, except that the Monk has a little rough transition from the eartip to the main shell. This gives a little sharp poking feeling, particularly when you are adjusting the position around in your ear trying to get the best sound.
Extra remark: The Monk's magnets are pretty strong!

Sound:
(WARNING: As I'm a complete non-audiophile, amateurish and layman descriptions coming through!)
Both actually produce quite different sounds. The best single word to sum up the comparison is that the Monk is simply, RICH.
At this moment, I think it's mainly because of 2 factors: Harmony, and Rich GENTLE bass

-Harmony
The PK3 lacks harmony. Each instrument seems to be doing its own thing. The fact that the PK3 sounds clear actually plays a negative factor in the equation with poor harmony. Also, this drowns out the vocal. The Monk has nothing of such sort. Such harmonious sound makes everything sound more fun, abeit less analytical. The PK3 is clear, but isn't much more anyways to go into analytical.

-Bass
This is the magical part. It's amazing, especially the mid-bass. With a V-shaped equalizer, it feels like a thick, yet extremely soft and fluffy cloud cushioning your ears. The cloud's shape will always adapt itself accordingly, and it somehow doesn't trap heat. Translating this to sound, I guess it means rich, yet clear and gentle bass, without sounding warm / muddy at all. With the other fact that the Monk sounds harmonious, this amazing bass just flawlessly blends in and strongly supports the whole musical.

Now, the nature of PK3 is able to deliver a few songs, or a few parts of certain songs in a way better than Monk, but these are just... few. The Monk is the best all-rounder. Very satisfied with my purchase, especially since it cost 5-8x cheaper than PK3!

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Lee for recommending me this after entertaining so much of my questions in private xD

So, I read above that the Monk should get some burn-in time. Lee, if possible can send / link me your most recommend file for burning in the monk? ^~^ And also the recommended volume for burn-in - at listening level or slightly higher than listening level? I felt like a spoilt brat, but at this point I just want copy everything you think =X

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,101 of 3,324
  Received my Monk today! Spent the noon comparing it with Yuin PK3 and I must say I'm blown away!

Thank you Lee for recommending me this after entertaining so much of my questions in private xD

So, I read above that the Monk should get some burn-in time. Lee, if possible can send / link me your most recommend file for burning in the monk? ^~^ And also the recommended volume for burn-in - at listening level or slightly higher than listening level? I felt like a spoilt brat, but at this point I just want copy everything you think =X

Great review!  Can't wait to get mine to test as well!

BTW, for burn in.  You are right.  For volume just slightly louder than normal listening level.  As for what to use to burn in.  I just plug them into my phone.  Put it on mix of my hundreds of songs, go to sleep, wake up with burned in earbuds.  

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,102 of 3,324

Great review!  Can't wait to get mine to test as well!

BTW, for burn in.  You are right.  For volume just slightly louder than normal listening level.  As for what to use to burn in.  I just plug them into my phone.  Put it on mix of my hundreds of songs, go to sleep, wake up with burned in earbuds.  

less volume for first 50hours, and try to use vocal and lossless, hi-res file or better yet some serious dsd to break them in

well it is hard to call breaking in a proven science , but i do whatever works for me....lol

Cheers 

Lee

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,103 of 3,324

Setup:
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9506
Poweramp music app ~> V-shaped equalizer ('Rock' in Poweramp), Preamp maxed, ReplayGain applied & on

Technical / objective comparisons:
Despite being same resistance and lower sensitivity than the PK3, the Monk is MUCH easier to drive. I need to press volume up 3 times for PK3 to reach the same volume.
Build quality wise, the Monk is definitely superior to the PK3. Significantly bigger and study audio jack, and the double wire makes it more or less tangle-free! Comfort wise, both are almost equally comfortable, except that the Monk has a little rough transition from the eartip to the main shell. This gives a little sharp poking feeling, particularly when you are adjusting the position around in your ear trying to get the best sound.
Extra remark: The Monk's magnets are pretty strong!

Sound:
(WARNING: As I'm a complete non-audiophile, amateurish and layman descriptions coming through!)
Both actually produce quite different sounds. The best single word to sum up the comparison is that the Monk is simply, RICH.
At this moment, I think it's mainly because of 2 factors: Harmony, and Rich GENTLE bass

-Harmony
The PK3 lacks harmony. Each instrument seems to be doing its own thing. The fact that the PK3 sounds clear actually plays a negative factor in the equation with poor harmony. Also, this drowns out the vocal. The Monk has nothing of such sort. Such harmonious sound makes everything sound more fun, abeit less analytical. The PK3 is clear, but isn't much more anyways to go into analytical.

-Bass
This is the magical part. It's amazing, especially the mid-bass. With a V-shaped equalizer, it feels like a thick, yet extremely soft and fluffy cloud cushioning your ears. The cloud's shape will always adapt itself accordingly, and it somehow doesn't trap heat. Translating this to sound, I guess it means rich, yet clear and gentle bass, without sounding warm / muddy at all. With the other fact that the Monk sounds harmonious, this amazing bass just flawlessly blends in and strongly supports the whole musical.

Now, the nature of PK3 is able to deliver a few songs, or a few parts of certain songs in a way better than Monk, but these are just... few. The Monk is the best all-rounder. Very satisfied with my purchase, especially since it cost 5-8x cheaper than PK3!

----------------------------------------------------------

great review

and trust me, I actually have quite enjoyed our conversation and glad u went with the monk instead of Asura and Zen.

also I am emailing those files to u.

hope u know how to use the baiduyun. 

Cheers 

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back