VD Nites: First impressions
Oct 6, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Well, I'm an imaging/precision freak, so I don't think I'll end up ever buying these cables...

Hirsch, what you also might have been hearing was the louder nature of the Nites coupled with the slow/frequency difffuse nature of same. The fact that they are louder means they will sound more dynamic (less 'compressed') than other cables assuming you don't compensate for the volume; the EXTREMELY high frequency dispersion (spreading of a short pulse over time, I say extremely high compared to the other cables I've tested) of the Nites makes them more active, gutsy, emotional.

My reference listening attempted to adjust for listening level. However, when dynamic range is expanded, as the Nites appear to do, equalization at low levels will still result in louder peaks.

Ebonyks, that's the tradeoff with the Nite series exactly. It's also why I'm enamored of the Master Series, as it keeps the dynamics and soundstage, with a massive increase in detail.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #17 of 26
Hirsch - that's interesting. I'll have to do some more listening to see if I agree with you (that the dynamic range is actually increased, as opposed to being actually reduced [by the slowness of the cable] but in a fashion that it seems to be increased [because by reducing the space between electrical peaks, the percieved musical energy is higher in my experience]).

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get to hear the Master series any time soon (I don't have that kind of money to spend on cables, even temporarily!.
eek.gif
), so I couldn't confirm that. It would be interesting to see some TDR traces of them though.

Oct 6, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 26
Veeerrryyyyyyy interrrrrestinngggg.....

So Eric, the last screenshot is what ideally the Nites should look like (if they were to deliver the signal perfectly)..........The other screenshots show the what the Nites really look like.....so the conclusion is the Nites differ rather drastically from the source signal?

Can you posts up some screen shots of a lesser cable such as the RatShack Golds for comparison?

Thank you Eric....this is very cool.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Veeerrryyyyyyy interrrrrestinngggg.....

So Eric, the last screenshot is what ideally the Nites should look like (if they were to deliver the signal perfectly)..........The other screenshots show the what the Nites really look like.....so the conclusion is the Nites differ rather drastically from the source signal?

Can you posts up some screen shots of a lesser cable such as the RatShack Golds for comparison?

No. The last screenshot is what the second to last screenshot should look like. You'll note both have a MUCH WIDER pulse.

Here's what no cable looks like: (yes the trace is shifted vertically by a bit)
DSCN3375.jpg

This is what 53' of near perfect cable (Some stuff my supplier sent me by accident) looks like:
DSCN3465.JPG.jpg

Note the shape of the return pulse.

This is what some el-cheapo Ratshacks look like:
DSCN3367.jpg

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 26
Eric,

To be fair scientifically, what does a 100nS pulse have to do with audio anyway? Why not run the thing at an AF range and see what happens? I mean, it doesn't make much sense to go from a test frequency of some odd 1GHz and say that this is what performance you will get from a given cable at 20-20KHz. Who cares how a cable reacts to something that is several magnitudes higher than a bat can hear?
biggrin.gif

Why not try running a 20KHz signal thru a few cables and see what happens to the signal.

Oct 6, 2003 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 26
Doug- that's an excellent point. To be perfectly honest, I don't have anything capable of generating a spike in the audio band... the closest to that is the 500nS setting on the TDR, and it shows little to nothing if I remember correctly (though I don't think I've tried it with the Nites, and I don't want to interrupt the burn-in process at the moment to try). The problem is that the cables are much too short - any reflection would be swamped by the outgoing signal. I suspect we might be able to get even better data if I had a Tektronix 1503B or similar metallic TDR (which uses a step waveform instead of a pulse, and can be used to analyze a cable to accuracy of an inch or so), unfortunately I don't have the $400 or so one would cost on eBay or multiple thousand one would cost elsewhere. Too bad Kevin Gilmore doesn't have samples of cables, I think he has access to some very very very nice test equipment.

I think the other problem is that much of what we can hear so well, our test instruments can't detect so well unless they're running in the range of signals that *should* be waaay out of the band that we're supposed to be limited to hearing in. I suppose I'm learning that I can hear things that strictly speaking there's no way I should be able to hear - as far as I can tell, music is a much more complex and difficult to reproduce signal than most people think.

What's also possible is that all I'm hearing is the placebo effect, and it really DOESN'T matter what cables look like on a TDR screen. Barring that possibility, though, as far as I can tell the TDR is the best way of analyzing cables because it gives them a fairly tough to handle signal and sees how they react, since it's through stress that you can see faults you otherwise wouldn't.

Comments anyone?

Oct 6, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #23 of 26
Hmmmmm.....if those tests are in the GHz range, could the skin effect be at work? The Nites if I recall use very large copper conductors, which would be more conducive to skin effect. Maybe that is why the pulse is smeared....

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Hmmmmm.....if those tests are in the GHz range, could the skin effect be at work? The Nites if I recall use very large copper conductors, which would be more conducive to skin effect. Maybe that is why the pulse is smeared....

Now you guys are thinking! Keep going thru this in your head, and you'll come up with the best possible solution to properly test cables at AF and not RF frequencies. I am pretty sure you know this, but to figure out frequency just take the 1/prf or 1/pulse width (pulse repitition frequency.) In this case the .0000001 second pulse widthwould equal a 1GHz frequency. That pushes us a good 50 times higher than the high-end of the audible audio range. If you rerun the pulses thru the cables at something much lower, like even a harmonic like 40KHz as well as a standard 20KHz pulse or so it should yield a much more accurate result. As you start approaching extremely high frequency stuff like 1GHz you start encountering things that are the reverse of lower frequency stuff. Radar systems don't use wires to conduct a signal, they use wave guides. At these extreme frequencies an open appears as a short, and shorts appear as opens.

Oct 6, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Doug- that's an excellent point. To be perfectly honest, I don't have anything capable of generating a spike in the audio band... the closest to that is the 500nS setting on the TDR, and it shows little to nothing if I remember correctly (though I don't think I've tried it with the Nites, and I don't want to interrupt the burn-in process at the moment to try). The problem is that the cables are much too short - any reflection would be swamped by the outgoing signal.

The same problem occurs in a radar system. The minimum radar range detection is the inverse of the output pulse width. IOW, it's impossible to detect something too close to the transmitting unit since the unit is still ouputting its signal and can't transmit and receive at the same time. In this case, a broadcast signal will travel at about 300M meters per second, which is just a few pico seconds per inch IIRC. At that rate of travel the shortest test path you could measure would be somewhere in the meter range, counting for recovery time from transmit to receive.

Quote:

The other problem is that much of what we can hear so well, our test instruments can't detect so well unless they're running in the range of signals that *should* be waaay out of the band that we're supposed to be limited to hearing in. I suppose I'm learning that I can hear things that strictly speaking there's no way I should be able to hear - as far as I can tell, music is a much more complex and difficult to reproduce signal than most people think.

That was a very succinct and honest answer. I guess that those who have tried to slam Rick at VD for not knowing WHY his cables work really are saying that they don't know enough about the subject to understand that they CAN work, or that they also don't know why or how they do work.

Quote:

What's also possible is that all I'm hearing is the placebo effect, and it really DOESN'T matter what cables look like on a TDR screen. Barring that possibility, though, as far as I can tell the TDR is the best way of analyzing cables because it gives them a fairly tough to handle signal and sees how they react, since it's through stress that you can see faults you otherwise wouldn't.

At the frequencies you are testing at, I would say the test data is about 110% irrelevant to put in rather bluntly. To test an AF cable at very high RF frequencies will yield nothing relevant nor revealing as to how they would sound and perform at any frequencies other than as an antenna to broadcast those tested frequencies.

Your conclusions could be related to the placebo effect, but it's too soon to tell. Did you hear this smearing of the sound before or after testing on the TDR? Did you verify what you heard, or what you saw?

And to correct myself, a 100nS signal is, I believe, 10GHz, not the orignal 1GHz I originally thought. I only have the cheap calculator that came with Windows, but if anyone has a real calculator which you could punch in 100x10 ^-9 and then invert it I would appreciate it. Even if it is 10GHz and not 1GHz, it is still so high a frequency that the skin effect is most likely coming into play here. Even the 500nS pulse would only yield results at 2GHz if I am correct, and this is still quite a bit too high a frequency.

Eric, how low will an FDR go frequency wise? And, why not just use a nice, cheap, signal generator and inject an audio frequency into the cables and skip the TDR all together? You could always read the results on an o'scope instead of using the TDR for this purpose.

Oct 6, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 26
I think we just had this discussion or similar in recent threads about wanting "proof or measurements" to back up subjective claims of improved sound in tweaks/cables.

If this is your mindset just buy ANALYSIS PLUS cables and you won't have to worry.

They measure cables for a living and their own design passes music signal with less distortion than any other desgn and they can prove it with sophisticated scientific data and measurements.

I own some AP cables and find them very good, but have found others that sound even better...........regardless of how they measure.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back