various questions from noob
May 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mizu

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I've just finished my first DIY project, a Mini3. It's working great and I can easily tell the difference. I'm mainly using my Mp3 player which is a creative Zen. I'm also often listening directly from my computer. Here's some questions.

I heard a Pre-amp would be a nice add to the combination MP3player-Amp. Is this really necessaryand what would it add ?

In the same way, what would add a DAC ? I have never used optical input so far, are thoses only related with wireless receivers ?

Does the quality of interconnect cable really makes a difference. I was interested in getting some, but they are way too much expensives.. the ones I saw were in the 70-90$.

Is there a website that have work casing bluesheet or sells them for particular board.. let's say I wanted to case the Mini3 in wood, is there anything I should know ?

Any good and easy (maybe less than Mini3) project I could take on, considering the above ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

May 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 5
A DAC will convert the digital signal from your computer, or if you use a Line-Out-Dock (LOD) from your mp3 player, and convert it to an analog signal (hence the digital to analog converter (DAC)), which can then be sent to your amp.

Since you have already built the mini3, why not build the y1 DAC, also from AMB.

May 14, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the quality of interconnect cable really makes a difference. I was interested in getting some, but they are way too much expensives.. the ones I saw were in the 70-90$.

Look at Blue Jeans cables. You can purchase an optical cable for less than $20 shipped.

Digital Audio Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

May 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I understand correctly, a Dac will do a better job than the Mini3 on itself when converting digital signal coming from a computer/mp3 player ?

A DAC converts digital to analog. The Mini3 does not do this, it takes the analog audio signal from a source (computer/mp3/etc) and amplifies it.

To use a DAC, you need a source that has a digital output. Your computer may have this, almost all mp3 players do not. Your mp3 player will have an internal DAC that is converting the digital music files to analog, and your computer sound card has one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back