Various miscellany, Shure E2C, AKG K701, Soundcards, etc.
Dec 10, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 21
1. Super.Fi 3 / UHP336 are comparable with the e2c's. Not 100% certain, I heard second hand that the UHP336's cord is more resilient to wear than the super.fi's (for the super.fi's can always buy a replacement from UE, free during the 2 year warranty)

3. more info needed, type of inputs/outputs and price range. I've gone through AV-710, X-Mystique, Audigy's, X-Fi XtremeMusic, X-Fi Elite Pro, and Auzen X-Fi prelude. All the fullsized X-Fi's support bit-matched playback in audio creation mode, in Vista too without any magiks. I think I'll be sticking with the Auzen Prelude for awhile.
bloblaugh1.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 21
I don't think the K-701 sounds anything like a Grado. I'm not much of a K-701 fan, but I seem to be in the minority. There are many threads on the K-701, and you should read them before pulling the trigger. On the other hand, you might like the DT880 a lot more if you prefer the Grado sound. It is flat mostly, with some brightness on the upper end. I think it sounds amazing with tubes. Do your homework before buying one and see what you think.

I don't know much about IEMs, though I prefer pro soundcards. I've owned two from M-Audio that I liked. They have an Audiophile 2496 model that goes around $100. It uses the same chips their more expensive cards use; I think it is a good deal.

Dec 10, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers here. Regarding #1, I personally prefer the UE Super.fi 3 to the Shure e2c by a large margin. To me the sf3 has a more neutral and much cleaner sound - and I've found it responds pretty well to EQ to help boost the bass a bit. Probably the biggest potential issue is the fit/comfort. For me, the sf3 is very comfortable with the FS mod, and I like the fact that it doesn't stick out this way - but that just depends on the shape of your ears.

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 21
I think some Radio Shack B&M stores still have the red sf3 on clearance for $49.97, and you can also use the Entertainment Book $10 off coupon to make them $39.97 + tax, which in my opinion is a steal! Even $60 at Amazon is a good buy (especially if you want another color besides red).

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 21
All the *real* X-Fi cards can output without resampling, the ones I've tried worked well in foobar via asio (I haven't tried kernel streaming). eax5.0 in gaming mode was just an added bonus
biggrin.gif

I know there's alot of driver support grumbling about creative on the net, but I have had no problems with the X-Fi's in Vista x64. Can't say the same for the Chaintech AV-710
frown.gif

Under $100 new, that you can find online and in stores, I'd suggest the half-sized X-Fi XtremeGamer, $50 after rebate at newegg. It's a squashed XtremeMusic sans gold plating and expansion options via I/O console or I/O drive. It does however have standard pinout for front audio ports on standard ATX cases.

If you're lucky, you can find the discontinued X-Fi Xtrememusic new online (here's one for $50) otherwise ebay is your only source. Make sure you get model# SB0460, (SB0670 is an oem card that had functionality limited, and drivers direct from creative or from retail cd's don't work for it). Has that funky 10-pin plug that only works with front audio on oem case by dell, gateway, etc. (There are a few individuals around the net who sell adapters to standard atx cases, myself included)

Either way, If you're going to use analog outputs, I'd recommend hotrodding your X-Fi at least with a replacement op-amp on the front L/R. If you're not into soldering, check the thread, there was someone offering to mod cards for others.

(Don't bother with an X-Fi XtremeAudio, it's really an Audigy SE so good luck getting playback without crummy creative resampling.)

I bought the Elite Pro once with rebate, sold the I/O console (same thing as optional I/O console upgrade kit creative sells, I didn't need it, plus the opamps and dacs in it are inferior to the ones onboard the elite), and ended up with my money back after 2 months
rolleyes.gif
which worked out well with 3 month billmelater
wink.gif

Anyway, except for the Elite Pro, all the full-sized X-Fi cards are the same, differences being whether it has 2 or 64mb of memory, whether it has a glowing logo block (and color), and what extras are packaged in the retail box. The Elite Pro has 64mb of onboard memory of course (and blue led lit logo), but it also has an improved pcb layout, upgraded dacs and op-amps, and better and larger capacitors. It has 116db SNR as opposed to 109db SNR the other X-Fi's have.

I haven't seen any reasonable benefit with additional onboard memory (pssha, *xram*), save in battlefield 1942 -_-

Elite Pro: x4 Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC (192 kHz, 120 dB), x1 AKM AK5394 ADC (192 kHz, 123 dB) , x1 JRC NJM2114 front op-amp, x3 JRC/NJM2068 surrounds/center/sub op-amp
other X-Fi's: x1 Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC (192 kHz, 114 dB), x1 Wolfson WM8775 ADC (96 kHz, 102 dB), x1 JRC NJM4556 front op-amp, x3 STL 4558 surrounds/center/sub op-amp

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Guitar Center Crestwood
9177 Watson Rd.
St. Louis, Missouri 63126

Phone: 314-918-7660
Fax: 314-918-7661

Manager: Steve Barcellona

Store Hours:
M-F: 10-9 | Sat: 10-7 | Sun: 11-6

They'll at least have the DT 770/80 for demo, with the possibility of more. St. Louis is much larger than Lincoln, NE (I heard the DT 770/80 there and was very impressed...so much so that I'm going to pick up a DT 880).

Hope that helps,

Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back