Vancouver, BC - anybody out here?
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 50
Alan - have you checked the prices? UBC is an expensive meeting place.

I have, and my eyes bugged out.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #17 of 50
How many people are coming to this meeting? Now that the interior strike is broken, I'm sure there's some free meeting places at community centers and the like for smaller groups.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 50
If we can book one in time. A lot of places are busy already.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 50
Let me know how much space you need at UBC, how many people, etc. I actually work on campus, and I might be able to swing something. At the least, I might be able to get some control over the Buchanan buildings (which is where I work).

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 50
Hey rmance, we're looking at around 20 people in the room, and it ought to be fairly big - bigger than the classrooms in Buchanan B or D, at least. There's going to be a fair amount of gear flying around, and some of the members have rather... extreme set-ups.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #22 of 50
Hmm, apparently quick reply failed. If I double post, I apologize.

I can't make any promises, but I'll see what I can do. My girlfriend, who used to work for Housing & Conferences, told me that they will heavily fine anyone who hosts a meet type of event without their approval and fees paid. I'm going to try and get around that through some other people. I've got a good friend running A/V for Engineering, so I'll try him, see what I can get. Might also try Swing Space, though it changed management this year from my division to Sauder School of Business. I still have friends working there, but it's not quite the same level of flexibility.

I miss my master key to Swing Space.
mad.gif

I don't really have any gear to show off, but I'm damn interested in seeing other people's stuff. All I have is a measly DAC and pair of HD650s. Grar.

Oh, and call me Ryan. rmance is too... forumy. I'm in East Van near Commercial/Broadway. You?

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #24 of 50
I'm near Kerrisdale.

Any luck with UBC buildings?

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #26 of 50
Might be fairly big. We're going to need a room with lots of tables.

Big enough for 25-30 people, the way we're going... and with enough tables to hold various set-ups.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 50
I can't think of many rooms at Langara that would be suitable. Most are either classroom format ~800sqft which I would think is too small, and a couple lecture halls with fixed seating. Unless a gym was available or something over in 'that' building I never went to. Events tended to be held in the foyer or SUB, which I imagine wouldn't be available. There are a couple of larger classrooms upstairs that might be suitable, but it's still pushing it...

But I guess it's all moot if you contact them, and I haven't been everywhere.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #28 of 50
error, have you been in the new Library? It has a few meeting rooms. The student computer lounge would be perfect over the weekend when it's nearly empty (And free), except it IS open to the public, so you'd see a few non head-fiers about, and I don't know what the policy is about size of gatherings there.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredMonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
error, have you been in the new Library? It has a few meeting rooms. The student computer lounge would be perfect over the weekend when it's nearly empty (And free), except it IS open to the public, so you'd see a few non head-fiers about, and I don't know what the policy is about size of gatherings there.

No, I left the school in the middle of its construction, when parking was at a premium
biggrin.gif

Haven't been back since, and haven't missed it at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back