Valhalla 2 or Schiit Lyr 2
Jan 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fuens

Head-Fier
Hello mates.
Can you help me to decide which amp buy?
Basically I will use with differents beyerdynamics 250 ohm, and sometimes low impedance (DT1350 80 ohm and HD25-1 II 70 ohm)
Initially I was thinking in Valhalla 2, but now I'm between Valhalla 2 & Schiit Lyr 2.
(pros and cons, please)
The matter is, I have one hybrid amp (SSMH)
Could I enjoy a pure tube amplifier?
Or will be much better hybrid?
Thanks on advance
Cheers

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 19
the hybrid is likely going to work better for you.  If you are really intending to use it with low impedance cans, the hybrid is going to give you the best of both worlds.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 19
I too would like a recommendation regarding the choice between the Valhalla 2 and the Lyr 2. I'm currently using my HD650s with a Schiit Vali and Modi combination. While Modi/Vali combo sounds decent enough for the price, the HD650s tend to sound slightly underwhelming and under-driven through the Vali. The bass in particular is weaker and less controlled than I think it could be. Out of the Lyr 2 and the Valhalla 2, which amp do you guys think would be best suited to HD650s, and particularly in terms of improving bass impact, presence and tonality?

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 19
  the hybrid is likely going to work better for you.  If you are really intending to use it with low impedance cans, the hybrid is going to give you the best of both worlds.

Thanks mate
I'll go this way.
Many people talk good things about Lyr 2
Cheers

Toni

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 19
Sorry mates for the delay
Few weeks ago I got my Lyr 2.
These days I'm enjoying so much (cos I'm convalescent of work accident)
After more then fifty hours burning , my definition:
Amazing (my opinion)
Good materials, stronger, design, powerfull (low & high gain), clarity, good soundstage, a little warm but mostly neutral.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to all Head-Fiers :D helped me to decide for this great amp.
Regards
:wink:

P.D.(I'm planning finally, buy Hifiman HE-400 (not HD650) should be good combo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8GHg9v5CeA

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 19
The Valhalla would be best with the HD650s. Whilst both amps are capable of powering most things from IEMs up to 600 ohm headphones, the Valhalla is designed and optimised for those around the 300 ohm range (read: HD600s, HD650s and a few others), whereas the Lyr is designed as a better all-rounder.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 19
  The Valhalla would be best with the HD650s. Whilst both amps are capable of powering most things from IEMs up to 600 ohm headphones, the Valhalla is designed and optimised for those around the 300 ohm range (read: HD600s, HD650s and a few others), whereas the Lyr is designed as a better all-rounder.

Thanks mate.
The next step will be this one, but now my budget... I need a little time.
I'm really happy with it.
Cheers

Toni

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Toni,

I currently use the Valhalla 2 with Audeze LCD-2 and Grado 225e headphones. I also posted a review earlier today on the Head-Fi Valhalla 2 product page. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 19
Toni,

I currently use the Valhalla 2 with Audeze LCD-2 and Grado 225e headphones. I also posted a review earlier today on the Head-Fi Valhalla 2 product page. Hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have.

beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 19
I think it's best to find the headphone amp that best fits your current headphones, not your future ones. But everyone thinks differently; a year or two years away from getting a different headphone is not worth postponing the perfect pairing. For high impedance headphones, you should buy the Valhalla 2 as it will sound better. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 19
I have a Lyr 2 and a Magni 2 I use with HD800s and both drive them just fine.  While you will get more power out of the Vallhalla 2 overall how much of it do you really need?  While the Lyr 2 can only output 660mW into 300 Ohms remember what the headphone can handle; in the case of the HD800s that is 850mW and with the volume on low gain I am rocking it at about 11 to 12 o'clock so power isn't an issue with either.  Also, with low impedance cans like the B&W P7 at 22Ohms where the Lyr 2 can do an insane 6W of power I can easily get it to 9 to 10 o'clock without issue.  Also, with the new LISST tubes you have the option to do all solid state with the Lyr 2 but the Vallhala is all tube.  Personally it is more do you want to go all tube or have the option to do both tube and solid state.  I went with the Lyr 2 because I want to get some planars in a year or so and am not regretting it at all; an intro to tube rolling and now with the LISST tubes I can just say screw it and go all solid state for general listening and have tubes when I want to change the sound up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back