Vale: Kate McGarrigle 1946 – 2010
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

webbie64

Headphoneus Supremus
kate-big.jpg

I must say I was stunned to not already find a thread here noting with sadness the passing of the ecelctic genius from Canada, Kate McGarrigle.

As various tributes have noted, to hear Kate and Anna McGarrigle sing together was to hear a unique harmony - "a confluence of common genes, common tastes and influences, and an ease of singing together that comes only from a lifetime of performing as one".

They truly were a brilliant performance to witness and I was lucky to see them once in Australia and twice in England.

Brilliant heartbreak songs - aching and heart-wrenching - like Talk to Me of Mendocino or I Eat Dinner, both personal favourites being listened to this evening as I stay up and listen to all I have of their recordings, so many of them contemporary folk classics.

Kate was diagnosed with cancer in 2006 and established The Kate McGarrigle Fund at the McGill University Health Centre, which she set up in 2008 to raise awareness of sarcoma, a rare cancer that affects connective tissue such as bone, muscle, nerves and cartilage. I lost my best friend to this cancer nearly two years ago and now we've all lost Kate.

She died of clear cell sarcoma on January 18, 2010, aged 63 at her home in Montreal. Her sister Anna wrote on their website: "Sadly our sweet Kate had to leave us last night. She departed in a haze of song and love surrounded by family and good friends. She is irreplaceable and we are broken-hearted. Til we meet again dear sister."

She made her last public appearance, with her children, Rufus and Martha Wainwright, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, just six weeks before her death. The show raised $55,000 for the Kate McGarrigle Fund.

Rest In Peace, Kate.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Very sorely missed. All the more so as I now realize I can't find any of my McGarrigle sisters CDs.
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Have been furiously playing the sisters vinyl and Cds since I heard this.
When unique music makers go somehow they are never replaced.
Hopefully there are some unreleased gems that will now be released and/or a major box set that we can all buy.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for this thread.
I considered making one for Kate a few days ago, but didn't.
Really love the McGarrigle Sisters.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 9
thank you for this beautiful though sad post, Webbie64, may Kate rest in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back