Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Sep 29, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,831 of 2,013
Audioalan,

hi there

Edgy is the last thing to expect from this dac, 400 hrs seems to be the agreed run in time.

As for caps I got great results from Russian Teflon, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378459/valab-dac-first-impressions/1545#post_6953575

The resolution will increase noticeably with the Dir 9001 mod, but the dac sounds great without it.

I am not sure, but I think you have to lift the pins, because they run to earth otherwise.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,832 of 2,013
Thanks wood will also check them out.

Maybe it's more of a brightness due to the oil caps and lack of run in time..400hrs sound like a long time, thought it was more like 200hrs
blink.gif

I want to try the mod but I'm not sure where to get the 3.3v from to put across the 2 pins as the example on here was a earlier model to mine..

looking forward to the Charcroft Resistors and caps..

I'm also looking at the Hiface Evo or standard Hiface..what you think of using this with Valab..

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #1,833 of 2,013
Those caps and resistors will make a huge improvement over the stock.

I cant say from direct experience but I guess both the Hiface and Evo will be good. You might also want to consider the jkenny modified hiface, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483900/review-jkeny-s-modified-hiface

I will be trying the jkenny modified version in a few days, its in the post on the way, so will be able to give an evaluation when it arrives, than I will know if these devices work. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #1,834 of 2,013

Who needs Vinyl anymore with technology like this around..
redface.gif

The DAC sounds pretty awesome already it has to be said so any improvements will be an extra bonus

The link describes the Hiface as being a 24bit device, my Valab is only 16bits so can I configure it through my laptop or something to output at different bit rates??

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #1,836 of 2,013
if you;re 100% sure that the legs of the dir chip are not connected to anything else you could cut the leads on the board, I did not dare to guess a multilayer circuitboard without a good schematic so I lifted them (about as difficult as soldering te together anyway)
The 3.3 volt can be found on the opposite side of the board, on one of the oins of an smd voltage regulator, I used a tiny lead wire and threded it through an existing hole in th ebaord to get to the other side.
(also have the luxury version)

run in is indeed closer to 400 than 200 hours!

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #1,837 of 2,013

Sarcastic to some people a reality or just an opinion...

I received some Charcroft resisters yesterday and replaced the 2 x 47k smd's above the 2 output caps with 2 x 50k Charcrofts and the results were amazing...

With the Charcroft resistors I never expected that kind of improvement, I'm just blown away with them, waiting for them to make up a pair to replace the 390R resistors, that should be interesting to hear.

also replaced the RCA wire with Mundorf  99% silver 1% gold 0.5mm wire but twisted 2 strands together, soon removed it as I seemed to loose some bass and sounded strangely slower although detailed in the highs.

400hrs is yikes but it sounds great anyway and ope I haven't killed it by then.

Will leave the dip9001 mod as I don't think it will benefit me as I'm using USB although I am considering the J kenny modified Hiface clock mk2, he is offering a 10 day trail on the units and thanks wood for posting the link.. just cant decide on this as the sound is already fantastic to my ears especially with the new resistors..I also tried Caddocks in there but these things are much better..

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,839 of 2,013

How long has Vinyl been around 100yrs
tongue_smile.gif
  although it was a bold comment I do admit but there is a point more than ever.!!!

The technologies used to manufacture them have drastically improved over time...some ppl even use laser decks nowadays, and you can find "syrups" that clean the discs completely.

I was given some "Mundorf  99% silver 1%" by a friend, but if it sounds ugly I'd better keep my expectations low :/

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,840 of 2,013

Quote:

Sarcastic to some people a reality or just an opinion...

I received some Charcroft resisters yesterday and replaced the 2 x 47k smd's above the 2 output caps with 2 x 50k Charcrofts and the results were amazing...

With the Charcroft resistors I never expected that kind of improvement, I'm just blown away with them, waiting for them to make up a pair to replace the 390R resistors, that should be interesting to hear.

also replaced the RCA wire with Mundorf  99% silver 1% gold 0.5mm wire but twisted 2 strands together, soon removed it as I seemed to loose some bass and sounded strangely slower although detailed in the highs.

400hrs is yikes but it sounds great anyway and ope I haven't killed it by then.

Will leave the dip9001 mod as I don't think it will benefit me as I'm using USB although I am considering the J kenny modified Hiface clock mk2, he is offering a 10 day trail on the units and thanks wood for posting the link.. just cant decide on this as the sound is already fantastic to my ears especially with the new resistors..I also tried Caddocks in there but these things are much better..

A lot of us (including me) have just pulled out the 47K resistors and put them in the bin.  My "output stage" consists of a 360R Texas Components TX2575 resistor and a 2.2uF Dueland Audio VSF Cap.  That's it.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #1,841 of 2,013
second that, i took out the 47k and output cap alltogether and ik makes a great improvement. (output cap is only required if your amp does not have an input cap)
Did you burn in the wire and test for directional differences?

Run in goes rather automatically, mine is always on with the CD TT on repeat, just because a DAC continues to improve somehow

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #1,842 of 2,013
I was considering removing it totally but had to try the resistors Charcroft sent me to test, I didn't receive 390R to replace the main coupling resistors so I used to 50k they sent me but hey they worked..will probably remove them and the caps though and as for the cable well:

One critique of high end power cable questions how a short strand of expensive cable can improve upon electricity delivered by miles of standard electricity transmission equipment outside and inside a home. Given this paradox, he then asks, "how short does the [specialized] wire have to be made before differences can no longer be heard?

second that one !!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #1,844 of 2,013

Quote:

One critique of high end power cable questions how a short strand of expensive cable can improve upon electricity delivered by miles of standard electricity transmission equipment outside and inside a home. Given this paradox, he then asks, "how short does the [specialized] wire have to be made before differences can no longer be heard?

second that one !!!!!!!!!!!

I'd counter that one with: probably at least one crystal bond.....

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #1,845 of 2,013
Hmm, not so sure about bypassing the output filter as I was.

Since I have been using Teflon output caps http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378459/valab-dac-first-impressions/1545#post_6953575 I have begun to notice a sort of unpleasant breakup/shredding at higher frequencies, particularly with energetic orchestral.

So I put the filter back in the circuit. The breakup is gone but I don't notice less transparency, if anything the dac is more resolving, and strangely bass is tighter. Could be recent changes to my rig (Radford STA 35 amp), or perhaps my hearing is finally giving up and I cant hear the high frequency roll off from the filter. 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back