Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #1,276 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 12 mhz clock is for USB only, the 33 Mhz reclocker is for SPDIF input. Yes the DIR9001 has it's own reclocker. I have no idea if it's disabled or not when using the outboard reclockers.

Looking at the DIR9001 data sheet: Does that mean the new 33Mhz clock is connected to pin 8 (XTI Clock Input) and Pin 28 (CKSEL) must be connected high (3.3 volts) ?

But reading the data sheet I think the XTI input HAS to be 24.576-MHz... ??? So what is this 33MHz connected to?

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #1,277 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by skibum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will the DIR9001 mod of connecting pins 13 & 14 to 3.3 Volts still work for this version?

Scott

This question actually still do not have a reply. I'm interested to...

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #1,278 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put the PRP back in for now,

How do you find the sound of the PRP?

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #1,279 of 2,013
PRP is a brand of resistor, I took it out put cheap radio shack in, noise went away. Put it back, noise came back. process of elimination.

or are you asking what do the PRP sound like? I'ts hard to say because I changed out alot of parts at once when Iput them in. Im going to compare them to the Takman resistors when they come in.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #1,280 of 2,013
Are the PCBs in the Valabs really that touchy that you can't desolder and remove components completely without lifting pads/traces? I know my experiences with blue soldermask boards from asia would suggest that they may be (Musiland DAC that I worked on). Soldering components to leads is not the best practice, but I guess it is preferable to cratering the PCB.

If you are talking to the designer, maybe you could suggest that they do better quality PCBs (think PCB fabs such as Imagineering). I just did some mods to one of my CD players, and the double-sided PCB in this was excellent. I socketed the two 28 pin DAC chips, removed 6 opamps intact, and installed and then removed sockets, all without any pad lifting, thru hole plating removal, etc. I do not have any special desoldering tools, just a Hakko iron and a good solder sucker.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,281 of 2,013
A heated solder sucker is prob best. Havent got one but a friend of mine swears by his.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #1,282 of 2,013
My point was more that if pads and traces lift that easily the PCB is of substandard quality. Since I seem to recall some posters talking to the designers, perhaps raising this issue might result in a higher quality PCB in future versions...

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #1,283 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point was more that if pads and traces lift that easily the PCB is of substandard quality. Since I seem to recall some posters talking to the designers, perhaps raising this issue might result in a higher quality PCB in future versions...

I have a green and blue pcb version of the valab, I have not had trace lift problems despite considerable abuse.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #1,284 of 2,013
Soooo I've been running my DAC continuously for a couple days and this noise is still persisting. Again, its like a rhythmic static noise that cuts in and out... quite loudly.

For some reason the manufacturer isn't responding to the message I sent him through eBay. Is there a better way to contact him/her?

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #1,285 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason the manufacturer isn't responding to the message I sent him through eBay. Is there a better way to contact him/her?

This has happened before, but Kevin the seller always responds.. eventually. Must be frustrating though. Let us know how it goes, nothing wrong with a bit of users 'encouragment' eh!
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #1,286 of 2,013
haha, ya thanks wood.

So this static - is there a such thing as a harmful signal coming out of a DAC? Like, maybe massive amounts of unwanted current of some sort? Or is the static just line-level, as if it were in the original recording it's self...?

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #1,287 of 2,013
As far as I know I have not heard of anybody damaging there ancillary equipment. So its just noise. Once or twice owners have reported the same problem with the new dac, the advice from Kevin was that they leave there dac on, and it seems to work over a few days, the static drops off. So I suspect he will advice the same, so good thing you have 2 days head start. I dont know what causes this in a handful of the new dacs, but he will replace refund for sure if it doesnt right itself. Hope it does soon, its a nice sounding dac.

Its disapointing that new owners like yourself are having these problems, early adopters suffered more, but by now, especially with the dacs growing popularity these issues should be history.

Good Luck

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #1,289 of 2,013
Then I suspect a fault. When this has happened before its usualy soon or immediatly after first switching on, it would explain why it passed initial inspection at the factory. Possibly one of the chips has failed, 8 chips increases this chance 8 times. Its a new unit so I cant advise poking around inside it. Its just such a bummer when you to post back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back