Valab NOS dac or Audio-gd Fun basic version??
May 31, 2010 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leotnnz

100+ Head-Fier
I am struggling between this two kinds of reputable dac around $200. Does anyone have the idea on the sound signature difference between these two? i wanna hook my KRK RP5 to it. I am kinda leaning to FUN, since it has both dac out and preamp out so that i could connect both my speakers and headphone amp. But the main thing that could push me to it is still the sound. Or if you have any other better choice in your opinion, i will appreciate.

thanks for advice.

May 31, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I've had the VALAB, it's ok as musical DAC, the soundstage is also ok, too many bass I think, it is definitely analog sounding but I suggest to use the upgraded Dr.Dac2 which I had a chance to campare recently to Valab. It beats valab in each aspect.

May 31, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 8
The Valab is great value, especially the one with the seperate power supply unit.  However, to be at its best, the unit needs to be modded, coupling caps and the cheap reclocking units to be removed and updated with better quality units. 
That said, in stock form, the valab gives a very smooth, organic sound. Bass is a touch slow and too warm for my liking.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
thanks for all replies. anyone has any idea about FUN's dac part compared with Valab dac?

The FUN uses a sigma-delta dac chip (the AD1852) while the Valab uses multibit (TD1543) dac in a NOS configuration. So they won't have a comparable sound.
I have not listened to the Valab dac so what I am going to say is speculation.
If you are looking for detail and frequency extension while not being too digital sounding, the FUN could be a good pick.
If you are looking for a warmer, more analog representation, the Valab coud be a good pick.

At the $200 price point, I don't believe there is a "perfect" DAC. It is all about compromises. At less than $200, you can also have a look at the Purepiper DAC A-1 (see my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476557/review-of-the-purepiper-dac-a-1-an-excellent-24-96-budget-dac ). 

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks for the nice review. i knew purepiper about their speakers, but never pay attention to their dac. How did you purchase it? from their website? Since i saw the pics in your review, it is 220v input that is not what i want.  For me, Fun is more like a all-in-one box so that i could connect both my amp and speakers. how is purepiper's detail compared to fun?

Quote:
The FUN uses a sigma-delta dac chip (the AD1852) while the Valab uses multibit (TD1543) dac in a NOS configuration. So they won't have a comparable sound.
I have not listened to the Valab dac so what I am going to say is speculation.
If you are looking for detail and frequency extension while not being too digital sounding, the FUN could be a good pick.
If you are looking for a warmer, more analog representation, the Valab coud be a good pick.

At the $200 price point, I don't believe there is a "perfect" DAC. It is all about compromises. At less than $200, you can also have a look at the Purepiper DAC A-1 (see my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476557/review-of-the-purepiper-dac-a-1-an-excellent-24-96-budget-dac ). 

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
thanks for the nice review. i knew purepiper about their speakers, but never pay attention to their dac. How did you purchase it? from their website? Since i saw the pics in your review, it is 220v input that is not what i want.  For me, Fun is more like a all-in-one box so that i could connect both my amp and speakers. how is purepiper's detail compared to fun?

In fact, I didn't know Purepiper. They contacted me through head-fi and asked me to review their DAC, which I did.

Concerning, the level of details, the Purepiper is more upfront with the details. So with an entry or mid level set-up, you can get the feeling that you have more details than the fun. With a more resolving set-up, the FUN has slightly the edge in low level details.
There is also one more thing: the Purepiper is less sensitive to extrenal factors such as the quality of the transport (source) and power supply. With a jittery transport and poor power supply, you will get better results with the purepiper. With a high grade transport and good power filtration, you will get better results with the FUN.

However, if you need the preamp or headphone amp functions of the FUN, it is a no brainer. The FUN is obviously the better choice.
By the way, I have also reviewed the FUN here: http://new.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468522/review-of-the-audio-gd-fun-a-modular-dac-headphone-amp-preamp
I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back