Vacuum Tube Radio
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
I was searching Youtube today and came across a video of a fellow who put together a simple vacuum tube radio.

It caught my eye, neat little thing that costs only about $90 which picks up radio signals, amplifies, and plays it through a photograph type shaft.

They indicate that it's very easy to put together. The only downside is that the PCB is already assembled (bad for us DIY'ers
icon10.gif
)
http://www.hlj.com/product/gak62133

gak62133.jpg

Just thought I'd share with you guys

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3
That's OK, but if you're really interested in radio, go get an old tube set. You can often find them under $20 at junk stores and eBay. The build quality is generally higher, you get a nice enclosure, and they really do sound good when you fix them. You'll develop an appreciation for tubes and single drivers.

Restoration is easy, as well. Mostly, you're going to replace the filter caps and the regular caps. Not everyone replaces the resistors, but I do. They're usually carbon comp and way out of spec. A 5 tube "All American" set is easy to work on- you can get the electronics fixed in an afternoon.

If you want a little fun, get a multiband tube radio. They're a little more complex, but listening to shortwave is a kick. Also, these are some of the best receivers ever- you'll be surprised how much better they sound than even a brand new digital radio. Look for Hallicrafters and Hammarlund sets. They're affordable and quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back