v6 questions
Jun 5, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i am still wavering in my choice for finding a portable set of 'phones.

i've recently been interested in the sony v6. i know it's not very portable, but i've seen that they fold up quite nicely. i will be playing whatever i get unamped out of a 4G ipod. do these sound ok unamped? i'm currently using hd497s, so i'm expecting a different signature, but i don't know much about the differences. also, do they end in a quarter or 1/8 inch jack? hopefully theyre not too conspicuous... they don't look like they'd draw too much attention, but i dunno. i'd be ok with the snobby indie rocker look, with a set of phones around my neck (a la high fidelity) does anyone have any pictures of how they actually look pertched on someone's head? also, how would they sound (isolation wise) on an airplane? i travel a lot and i dont want to have to pump up the volume too much, and i'm not totally sold on in ear monitors yet. comfort is also important, because i usually have phones on my head about 4 hrs a day. one more thing, does anyone have any pics of a v6 with a beyer velour pad mod?

wow thats a lot of questions. thanks for the help guys.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 4
The V6s with the velour pads look enough like the regular v6s, that you probably couldn't tell the difference from a photo. They terminate in a 1/8" mini stereo plug and a screw on 1/4" adapter. They're common enough that no one should laugh at you, and they don't particularly benefit from an amp. That said, I'd personally go with the EX71s or EX81s for airplane use instead, because they're NOT isolating enough to cut out airplane noise. I don't even think my beyers would cut it on an airplane.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 4
The V6 almost necessitate velour pads; with heavy use, the rubber on the native pads tends to flake away, while the velours fit beautifully and only cost $20. If you're getting these headphones new, there's no hurry to replace the pads, however.

I've carried them in my backpack while in their drawstring pouch, but it's not a particularly portable arrangement. IMO, there are a lot of smaller-size options to consider first.

As closed headphones, they have good volume, and can drown out much competing noise. Don't look for anything close to noise-cancelling.

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i am still wavering in my choice for finding a portable set of 'phones.

i've recently been interested in the sony v6. i know it's not very portable, but i've seen that they fold up quite nicely. i will be playing whatever i get unamped out of a 4G ipod. do these sound ok unamped? i'm currently using hd497s, so i'm expecting a different signature, but i don't know much about the differences. also, do they end in a quarter or 1/8 inch jack? hopefully theyre not too conspicuous... they don't look like they'd draw too much attention, but i dunno. i'd be ok with the snobby indie rocker look, with a set of phones around my neck (a la high fidelity) does anyone have any pictures of how they actually look pertched on someone's head? also, how would they sound (isolation wise) on an airplane? i travel a lot and i dont want to have to pump up the volume too much, and i'm not totally sold on in ear monitors yet. comfort is also important, because i usually have phones on my head about 4 hrs a day. one more thing, does anyone have any pics of a v6 with a beyer velour pad mod?

wow thats a lot of questions. thanks for the help guys.

I think you'll like ex81 better
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back