V6 + Beyer pads vs. stock V6
Nov 23, 2001 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Just got my V6s today with Beyer pads already on...so let's see...

The obvious reason to get the pads is for comfort, and it is way more comfy by far...the V6s now fit circumaurally on me vs. supraurally. But for the sound...I find the stock V6s better in sound. The Beyer pads move the soundstage a little farther back, and thin the treble a little. Treble just extends and shimmers better on the stock V6s. The bass imaging also suffers a tad...it's tighter on the stock V6s, while with the Beyer pads I notice the bass becomes more cup filling so to speak, as in you hear a leak of the bass into both cups vs. it being dead centered. Midrange is about the same, I don't think the Beyer pads warm up the midrange in any ways...in fact I'd say it sounds a bit thinner.

For absolute sound quality, I'd still prefer the stock V6s. I'd say the stock V6s sound a bit more...real? That's the best way I can think of it when listening to a sax. But no doubt that the Beyer pads make the V6s way more comfortable.

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

I find the stock V6s better in sound. The Beyer pads move the soundstage a little farther back, and thin the treble a little. Treble just extends and shimmers better on the stock V6s.

Vert, I think we're into the famous "Vertigo Highs" phenomenon here (hehe, I like that)
wink.gif
I prefer the Beyer pads to the stock pads -- they aren't as bright to my ears, which I like, while Vert prefers the added treble/detail.

P.S. Vert, how many pairs of V6 do you have now?
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 27
I own two pairs of V6s now, and while I thought I would happily be selling my first pair from you off, now that I've gotten the V6 + Beyers, I'm not so sure I want to sell them. One pair for comfort, one pair of critical monitoring is the way I see it now. Oh well, at least it's not the same as owning a RS-1 and MS Pro...it's "cheap" enough to stay around the house.
wink.gif

About the treble, I don't find the treble harsh or bright or whatever, it's very smooth to me. Part of the Vertigo Treble phenomenon I guess.
biggrin.gif
If anything the way the Beyers thin out the treble actually makes the sound more fatiguing to me in the long run...sort of that claustrophobic feeling you get when you listen to closed 'phones and the sound starts feeling thin and closed in and you just HAVE to get out of there.

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 27
It has range and accuracy and balance and and and bass extension and and and and and and and and........... best value in headphones under $100 besides the ex-70s and 495s most would say

Nov 26, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

What is the allure of the V6? I thought I've seen many criticisms if that particular model?

If you heard em, you'd understand.
tongue.gif
We really need to get that island meeting going...

The allure I'd say primarily is the awesome deep bass more than anything, followed by the closed capability. The rest of its sound is pretty mediocre, but the bass is just insane. Overall it's one of the better sounding headphones out there under $100, it can be beaten, but not at its price range for the closed factor. I'll bring my V6s along if nobody else has em so you can check em out at the meet.
cool.gif
Oh yah, the bass is even crazier with the RKV.
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 27
I have wondered about the pros/cons of the beyer pads vs. stock pads. Are the Beyer pads essentially the same pads found on the Senn HD 570/590? On a side note, I LOVE bass. Realistic or not, I love loud, punchy, extended bass. Unfortunately, you can't have all that at one time
frown.gif
. But you know, 2 out of 3 ain't bad
wink.gif

Brett

Nov 26, 2001 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by domer2004
I have wondered about the pros/cons of the beyer pads vs. stock pads. Are the Beyer pads essentially the same pads found on the Senn HD 570/590? On a side note, I LOVE bass. Realistic or not, I love loud, punchy, extended bass. Unfortunately, you can't have all that at one time
frown.gif
. But you know, 2 out of 3 ain't bad
wink.gif

Brett

I actually feel the bass has improved with my Beyer pads (versus the stock pads). jack (Head-Fi member, close friend, and business partner) has a pair of stock-padded V6's, so I still compare them occasionally. The Beyer pads (to me) gave the bass a little less *boom* (not that I felt it was boomy to begin with), and better focus.

Nov 26, 2001 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 27
We're hoping to do it sometime towards the middle of December, but the islanders really haven't gotten anything together yet as to the specifics. We will post the official notices under the Meetings forum when we're ready to go though.
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Part of the Vertigo Treble phenomenon I guess.

No, no, no... the phenomenon is officially termed "Vertigo Highs™"
biggrin.gif

Quote:

best value in headphones under $100 besides the ex-70s and 495s most would say

I would say the best *value* (as in best performance for the money) under $100 would be the KSC-35. Personally, I find them a bit more enjoyable to listen to than the V6, plus light, comfortable, and cheap
wink.gif

But the V6 have awesome bass, are comfie, and are closed. Definitely the best sub-$100 closed can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back