V-MODA Zn: Official Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Videos, etc.
Nov 25, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #121 of 363
I'm still confused about how to get the 180-day test-drive for Head-Fiers. Is there a discount code or link or something?
If anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction that would be great!

I intend on using this test-drive along with the 14-day trial from Degauss Labs for the Noir so I can compare the two for myself, and hopefully the upcoming Trinity Phantom Bass as well.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #122 of 363
I'm still confused about how to get the 180-day test-drive for Head-Fiers. Is there a discount code or link or something?
If anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction that would be great!

I intend on using this test-drive along with the 14-day trial from Degauss Labs for the Noir so I can compare the two for myself, and hopefully the upcoming Trinity Phantom Bass as well.

I think you can just mention headfi in your email/call to them within that time.

I look forward to your Trinity impressions! I've been following the trinity threads closely, and have the Atlas on order.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #123 of 363
Yup, no other headphone every has an issue.  Not even 1000 dollar iems.  It seems like you didn't really want to give them a fair shake for whatever reason.

Either way, toodles.  Enjoy whatever is next on your list.

Why so defensive? This is the first IEM that I've ever sent back...

Enjoy your Zn.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #124 of 363
Tangle free quick video demo:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkCqFfCxsA[/VIDEO]

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #125 of 363
Why so defensive? This is the first IEM that I've ever sent back...

Enjoy your Zn.

Not defensive at all. It just seemed like you were looking for any excuse to send em back. They aren't my favorite iems by any stretch but for the price they are pretty damn awesome. It's unfortuante you had a faulty pair for sure but that's why they have their awesome warranty.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #126 of 363
Jude from Head-Fi review of Zn just posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-in-ear-headphones

Written by Jude Mansilla

The new V-MODA Zn is the first new in-ear headphone from V-MODA in four years. The earpieces may look like the previous V-MODA Vibrato--continuing with the design that still reminds me of a metalized ball-and-claw foot you might find at the end of a cabriole leg on some sinister piece of fantasy furniture--but inside, the Zn is new, and sounds new. The driver is still a single 8mm dynamic in each ear, and the nominal impedance still 16Ω, but the driver as newly tuned with the goals of increasing accuracy, improving frequency response, and lowering distortion.

The Zn is, to my ears, the most balanced of V-MODA's headphones--the one most likely to appeal to audiophile tastes. All V-MODA headphones have some amount, some type of bass emphasis--it wouldn't be a V-MODA if it didn't. From one V-MODA model to another, the characteristics of the bass lift changes, but there's always at least a little (and, with some models, a lot). The Zn's level of bass emphasis is along the lines of the V-MODA XS, which is to say the mildest of the lot. I also think it's the best implemented, in terms of the "shape" of it. To my ears, it slopes down fast enough to give a nice, fast, mild kick to upper bass, but also enough to spare the lower mids from associated bloat.

The Zn's midrange isn't quite as meaty as its lower registers, but, even in the face of its stronger bass, the Zn's midrange has nice presence and clarity, never wilting in contrast. In terms of treble, I'm very happy with the refinements V-MODA has tune into the Zn. Whereas the Vibrato would occasionally tend toward mid-treble hardness, the Zn's treble is smooth and refined. Treble extension is good, but I wouldn't turn away a touch more shimmer and extension either.

I also like the physical refinements they've made with the Zn. They've gone from a gloss black to a matte black finish that looks both more refined and more sinister. The've gone from a tangle-prone cloth-covered cable on the Vibrato to something they're calling a DiamondBack TangleFree cable on the Zn. It has a smooth sheath, and looks to be reinforced with a fibrous material criss-crossing the sheathing--its appearance reminds me of the Sennheiser IE 800's cable. Whatever qualities they've given it to make it tangle-free work very well. Even wrapped up in a ball, the tangles simply fall out when I pick the Zn up--very nice!

There are two versions of the Zn, one with a 3-button iOS cable, and one with a one-button Android cable. The Zn's in-line SpeakEasy Remote Mic works very well, and the people I've talked to with it say my voice sounds very clear.

The V-MODA Zn also comes with four different sizes of eartips, and couple of ear hooks that help keep the Zn secure during rigorous activities. The included carrying case is a carryover from the Vibrato, a small synthetic leather pouch with barely enough room to squeeze the Zn into--you can get it in there, but it's quite snug.

Again, of all the V-MODA headphones, the Zn is my sonic favorite, in terms of its overall balance and refinement. At its price point of only $180, there's a lot of competition, but this new in-ear bears the years of experience that V-MODA now brings to the table, and sonically performs at a level higher than its price suggests.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #127 of 363
  wow. i almost feel cheated because they posted a video about the Zn saying how they laser their metal headphones... especially paying $263 CAD for them!
Is the plastic solid feeling, like the XS? it really looked like the vibratos and vibe IIs were metal all around, and they were at a lower price point. I thought their aim was to minimize use of plastics. if it was possible in previous offerings, why not this one? Honestly must say that I am disappointed if there is no valid reason for the use of plastic. $10 chinese earbuds use all metal ***.

You shouldn't feel cheated, the value of these earphones is tremendous all things considered. The housing of the acoustics is metal, like advertised. However, the plastic surround is for protection. It is solid-feeling like on the XS (there's no reason why V-MODA would lower their standards).

I am also someone who values build quality, and the plastic didn't end up bothering me at all. It feels sturdy and I actually think it makes well for a unique presentation of the product (contrast with the shiny metal). Here's my review for more detail:  http://www.androidguys.com/2015/11/25/v-moda-zn-in-ear-headphones-review-zinc-metal-shows-its-beauty-inside-and-out/

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #128 of 363

You shouldn't feel cheated, the value of these earphones is tremendous all things considered. The housing of the acoustics is metal, like advertised. However, the plastic surround is for protection. It is solid-feeling like on the XS (there's no reason why V-MODA would lower their standards).

I am also someone who values build quality, and the plastic didn't end up bothering me at all. It feels sturdy and I actually think it makes well for a unique presentation of the product (contrast with the shiny metal). Here's my review for more detail:  http://www.androidguys.com/2015/11/25/v-moda-zn-in-ear-headphones-review-zinc-metal-shows-its-beauty-inside-and-out/

I've read your review, and it's the "And it’s not an expensive-feeling plastic either." that sorta freaked me out.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #129 of 363
  I've read your review, and it's the "And it’s not an expensive-feeling plastic either." that sorta freaked me out.

Lol, it's true. Hard plastic doesn't feel expensive. But that doesn't mean it won't hold up.

I had the XS and the plastic feels exactly the same to me. So if that felt "solid" to you, then you should have no worries :)

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #130 of 363
Finally cracked open the ZNs last night and gave them a listen.  First impressions - love the packaging and easy to open.  Earphones smaller than expected.  Cable looks great and seems to untangle effortlessly.  The remote is great, don't like the extra metal (zinc?) piece on the wire - sticks out like a sore thumb (at least colour it black) and as another HFr mentioned, the serial number sticker looks tacky on an otherwise high quality package.  Really don't like the case, too small and doesn't match the current lineup.  Would of preferred and expected a tiny version of the m-100 case, where i could roll the earphones up into it and zip it up without thinking much about it, whereas with this case, I'm having to put more effort into rolling the earphones up properly so they can squeeze inside the case.  

Played a few tracks:

Adele - Hello
FKA Twigs - Figure 8
Flux Pavilion - Double Edge
James Bay - Let it go / Hold back the river
The Weeknd - The Hills

All performed beautifully on the ZN, I was amazed at the soundstage, quality of bass and how confident these earphones perform with just an 8mm driver, seems to perform better than some previous 16mm sony in ears I had in the past - so KUDOS to the V-Moda team for engineering something so amazing.  Thankfully, these to my ears sound more like an in-ear version of the m-100 than XS, so def keepers for me.

Obviously, as with the m-100, these perform spectacularly with Electronic/dance music and female vocals.  Some male vocals didn't sound as good but not sure if it's the recording, as the male vocals in The Weeknd track as well as James Bay sounded great.

The whole package feels substantial but I think 99.99-120 gbp is more of a fair price point for these, as oppose to 150 but nonetheless, i'm happy to have them.  I would say that the RHA 750i have the slight edge on the trebles but the ZNs are much better in every other area.  The RHA 750i are 89.99 gbp in the UK v the £150 price point of the ZNs.  In all honesty, I think the 750is are a better bang for buck (you also get tangle free wire, remote, premium feel, better case) but the ZNs get my vote (if money isn't an issue).

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #132 of 363
Nice impressions glad you're enjoying them as much as I am. ^^ These have been coming with me everywhere, they're getting more ear time than all my other cans. The sound is addicting, especially the bass reproduction and the vocals.

I haven't switched out the ear tips yet, might do that one of these days for comparison.

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #134 of 363
I just got mine. The exterior frame is metal... Whomever said they were plastic is silly.

May upload a video of me opening the box to tease those who haven't got theirs yet if there is interest.

And yeah, they sound insane. I honestly was expecting a lot less.
But my opinion is probably wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back