V-MODA Zn: Official Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Videos, etc.
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #31 of 363
Got 'em!!! So far....holy crap! These sound a million times better than my Vibe II's did. The cord is super cool and feels different than what I expected. Packaging and presentation is top notch, as expected.
I like the fact that the pouch now uses a magnet for closure as opposed to snap buttons.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #32 of 363
Got 'em!!! So far....holy crap! These sounds a million times better than my Vibe II's did. The cord is super cool and feels different than what I expected. Packaging and presentation is top notch, as expected.
I like the fact that the ouch now uses a magnet for closure as opposed to buttons.

Some pics....
1b6d87d7ca2052dbe056b894aa48487d.jpg

52f5a827d7d5e5813b35ec3ce171c549.jpg

ecfe79f3cccfc0e45a8a2e153265e1aa.jpg

87cca3b6700cd4aed61d366eaa46437f.jpg

Also wanted to add that the cord is wound up and secured with a Velcro strip vs. a cheap twist tie. Nice little touch! Another observation to report is that the body of the headphone jack has an extended straight portion which will insure that these can plug in fully even through the thickest phone cases.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 363
so, the question @v-moda is:

when will the ZN be available through Amazon Europe (Germany/Austria in my case). They are already listed on amazon.com, but "out of stock".
Is it safe to wait for them to be available from Amazon Europe? I have no clue how fast such earphones sell, but considering the relatively low amount of produced units I am a little bit afraid that those are going to be sold out through v-moda.com until the get available in Europe. Or is this a baseless fear?

EDIT:
just checked amazon.co.uk, the ZN is now listed there "out of stock" as well.
so, do have to order them from there or are they going to be available from amazon.de in time as well?

However, being a huge V-Moda Fan since the very original Vibe I really can't wait to get the ZN, especially since my IE8 finally gave up some days ago...

@dtsdig:
thx for the pictures and first impressions.
the cord looks massive, which is very welcome, but how does it handle?

cheers! & thxalot

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #34 of 363
Originally Posted by kauri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@dtsdig:
thx for the pictures and first impressions.
the cord looks massive, which is very welcome, but how does it handle?

cheers! & thxalot

The cord is actually not that massive.  It appears to be the same diameter as any other V-Moda in-ear.  It is not fabric wrapped like the previous Kevlar cables, it feels more rubbery/plasticy.  However, they were not joking when they said these will not tangle!  It's quite remarkable.  As for strength and where the Kevlar is used, as least part of the equation lies in the material used to create the "snake skin" look (my guess anyway!).  Check it out under magnification:

That stripe is actually a fibrous, stranded material that is embedded in the cable sheathing!  It is completely smooth to the touch meaning it was likely molded into the black material of the cable.  Even running a fingernail over where the stripe wraps around, it does not protrude in any way, in other words, it is undetectable by running a fingernail across it.  Pretty cool!

I've tested out the 3 buttons which perfectly for my iPhone and talking to my wife on the phone, she said that I sounded great.  She couldn't tell that I was using the headphone mic (she doesn't even know I have these yet), which is a first.  Every other headphone mic experience has been terrible; not these.  Big thumbs up so far!

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 363
The presentation is fantastic. There is almost no wasted space!! As with all other V-MODA products, this does not disappoint! The Sport hooks, which I thought I would be tossing to the side because I wear glasses have made it on and may stay!! It just fit so perfect!  

When I plugged it into my Nexus 6, the sound was full and it was like sticking a stick of butter in each ear. It sounded magical....like...my M100's magical. I have a pair of XSs as well, but I feel that the XS is missing something, but sounds great as well, but not as well as my go-to M100s. This has just one second place for travel in ears. :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 363
This cable looks pretty awesome. Hope that they'll come as stock cable with the new V-Moda XS Master Edition.
How do they sound btw?

They sound awesome! One of my go-to test albums is Natalie Merchant's Motherland. It has some deep double bass, lots of ambiance and very forward vocals. I listened through the song "Motherland" on the Zn's, which sounded fantastic, and then switched to my Sennheiser 380 Pro full size studio cans and listened through again. Ouch! I can't say I'll be using my Sennheisers anymore outside of studio recording purposes. I can't believe how "canned" sounding the vocals were in my Senns compared to these. The Zn's sound open, glassy, have a wide presentation and a bass presentation that is bounds ahead of my old Vibe II's. The bass is tight, warm and perfectly level matched to the rest of the range, in my opinion. That is to say that these are full sounding but never get boomy like my previous V-Modas.
Sorry I don't own a pair of M-100's to compare to. But, I will say that these sound incredible, especially compared to my full size Senns, which are a great pair of cans in their own right. I paid $250 for them and they stand on their own with reviews, etc. But now, I can't say I'll use them much anymore.
I'm a happy camper!!!

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #38 of 363
the cable looks very special.

I hope that I will be able to get my own ZN soon :)
if they don't show up on amazon.de soon I will have do order directly from v moda, can't wait anymore.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #39 of 363
dtsdig, thank you for the first impressions & the note on the "other" page referring me back here.  looking forward to someone doing the comparison with m-100's too.  now to work out how to get these beauties.......for all, i live in NSW Australia & it was easier & cheaper for me to deal direct with v-moda to get my m-100's than purchase here.  

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #40 of 363
Awesome first impressions! A couple of things I'd be interested to know:

I much prefer the Shure / Comply foam tips to any silicon ones I've ever tried. I guess maybe I have large ear canals, but I only get a good fit and acoustic seal with the largest size foams. Do any of the Comply foams (or even better, Shure Olive tips) fit the ZNs?
Speaking of Shure, my usual IEMs are Shure SE215 LTD and Audio Technica ATH-IM70, which I feel have a very similar sound. I'd be very interested to hear comparisons of the ZNs with either of these IEMs.

Any more info on EU/UK availability? As I live in one of "such countries and regions" that V-Moda don't ship to, I'll probably order them from Amazon UK to my parents' place and get them to send them on to me.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #41 of 363
WORLDWIDE AVAILABILITY
We are rolling out Zn worldwide, but it takes time.  V-MODA.com is your best bet for now.  Remember, Zn is a limited edition product so it will go in-out of stock unfortunately more than other products due to its unique casting process, intense "select reserve driver" QC process and limited availability of tuning materials.

Catch them while you can is my best advice... the 3 buttons will sell out quick and the 1-buttons arrive soon but also will sell out fast.

-V 

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #42 of 363
  WORLDWIDE AVAILABILITY
We are rolling out Zn worldwide, but it takes time.  V-MODA.com is your best bet for now.  Remember, Zn is a limited edition product so it will go in-out of stock unfortunately more than other products due to its unique casting process, intense "select reserve driver" QC process and limited availability of tuning materials.

Catch them while you can is my best advice... the 3 buttons will sell out quick and the 1-buttons arrive soon but also will sell out fast.

-V 

thanks, I understand that you can't give a better information about availability in Europe, but I feel a little bit lukewarm about placing an international order, since I would have to pay aprox. Eur 250,- with all taxes and fees for the ZN. This is okay for me if they hold up to the expectations, shipping is reasonable priced as well, but it still doesn't feel too good to pay a higher price just because of the fear that they will never make it to european resellers... especially since it is a product "designed in Milano" :wink:

nevermind, just my personal thoughts, no huge amounts of money, but still.....

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #44 of 363
Yes. Just.. Yes. These friggin rock. Coming from west one umpro50's, w60's, shure se846, se215ltd, unique melody miracle, as2, se535ltd, rockets, m100's, these sound incredible. The fit- is gunna take some getting used to but that's to be expected when coming from relatively deep sitting iem's like the aforementioned above. But man oh man has the emotional connection I've been looking for smacked me right in the face and ears. Val- stop. im checking off my rig at the moment so I don't have time to get detailed but I will for sure once I'm out of the reach of supervisors who don't quite get my passion for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back