V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #572 of 972
Ok if you had to choose a headphone only for EDM which one would you pick/vote for straight out V Moda LP2 or V Moda XS? The one with the most votes im going to buy and try giving a small explanation why you choose the one you chose over the other :p

May 13, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #573 of 972
Ok if you had to choose a headphone only for EDM which one would you pick/vote for straight out V Moda LP2 or V Moda XS? The one with the most votes im going to buy and try giving a small explanation why you choose the one you chose over the other :p
... Depends. Do you want a crap ton of bass, or just a helping of it? I'd say m-100, but you didn't say that... Lol.

May 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #574 of 972
Ok if you had to choose a headphone only for EDM which one would you pick/vote for straight out V Moda LP2 or V Moda XS? The one with the most votes im going to buy and try giving a small explanation why you choose the one you chose over the other
tongue.gif

i haven't heard the lp2 but i do own the xs and have owned the m100s (which it seems from word of mouth an improved version of the lp2's sound) why not get the m100s?

the xs is more of an all arounder, i would assume for edm you really like the thumping and deep bass i would give the nod to the lp2 the xs are good but its more of a jack of all trades that suit a variety of genres 

May 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #575 of 972
i haven't heard the lp2 but i do own the xs and have owned the m100s (which it seems from word of mouth an improved version of the lp2's sound) why not get the m100s?

the xs is more of an all arounder, i would assume for edm you really like the thumping and deep bass i would give the nod to the lp2 the xs are good but its more of a jack of all trades that suit a variety of genres 
dear sir, edm doesn't have very much sub-bass. You are thinking of trap and rap. Edm relies on upper bass and mids.

May 14, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #577 of 972
I listen to alot of rap, but what I meant was heavy EDM not stuff like Tiesto or Armin, stuff more into Hardstyle, Hardcore, Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Hard Trance music more into the hard dance scene which involves alot of bass. Example Organ Donors Never Mellow. I use to have the Crossfade Lp's but unfortunately had to sell them because I needed extra money for my school subjects ( I regret selling them :frowning2: ) So it's been a while since iv'e had headphones and was looking in to buying either the Lp2, XS or M100 but the M100 are to high in my price range so they are a maybe. So the main options left are The XS and Lp2, I really enjoyed the original Lp's and if the Lp2 are better I'd simply get them with the XL pads but now that there is the XS which I have to say looks awsome and insane portability but I don't know about the sound I was wondering which one of the 2 would suit my needs I love strong heavy bass but also enjoy clarity. I like a fun sound that makes me want to bust a move haha so which of the two do you think i'd enjoy most as I only mainly listen to rap and hard EDM, I also listen to The Prodigy to give you an idea of what I like :p so yeh which would you say are best for me?

May 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #578 of 972
I listen to alot of rap, but what I meant was heavy EDM not stuff like Tiesto or Armin, stuff more into Hardstyle, Hardcore, Drum & Bass, Dubstep, Hard Trance music more into the hard dance scene which involves alot of bass. Example Organ Donors Never Mellow. I use to have the Crossfade Lp's but unfortunately had to sell them because I needed extra money for my school subjects ( I regret selling them
frown.gif
) So it's been a while since iv'e had headphones and was looking in to buying either the Lp2, XS or M100 but the M100 are to high in my price range so they are a maybe. So the main options left are The XS and Lp2, I really enjoyed the original Lp's and if the Lp2 are better I'd simply get them with the XL pads but now that there is the XS which I have to say looks awsome and insane portability but I don't know about the sound I was wondering which one of the 2 would suit my needs I love strong heavy bass but also enjoy clarity. I like a fun sound that makes me want to bust a move haha so which of the two do you think i'd enjoy most as I only mainly listen to rap and hard EDM, I also listen to The Prodigy to give you an idea of what I like
tongue.gif
so yeh which would you say are best for me?

If head bopping, head banging or move busting is your thing then you should consider the M100s or the LPs because the XS for me does not stay on as securely. YMMV of course. Honestly, I could never stay steady with drum and bass so therein lies my suggestion.       

May 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #579 of 972
For me, the XS are for the "on the road" headphones. Where the M100s are my go-to's all the way if I have the choice. Not to knock the XS, they are awesome for the price, but having the M100s for about 6 months now, I have to say are my hands down favorite. I too like bass when it's supposed to be in the track/song and above all else I love clarity. The M100s are my favs. 

Bottom line, the XS if thats what you can comfortably afford. It is a great piece of hardware for the price. But having the M100's already, I can't stop praising the clarity on it. And the bass is icing on the cake for me. Like others have said, YMMV, but when a bass track comes on and it sounds great, I literally drool with my M100s on. On the XS, the bass is there, but not as rounded if that makes sense. There's a range missing that I can tell from the M100s, but you having coming from LPs, the XS would do great. I came from LPs and jumped head first into the M100's and then the XS. However, I jumped from the M100 to the XS and they are a tad different. 

I say, I still LOVE my XS and M100s, it's now all about the portability and my in ears have been trumped by the XSs lol. 

May 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #580 of 972
I have the XS and the M100 too and can compare them for different situations.  

I find the XS is perfect for walking about.  It does not isolate as much as the M100, but that is a good thing when cars are around.  :)  
The portability is really amazing, too.  The case for the XS is very flat compared to that of the M100 and fits in a backpack easily.  

I also like the sound of the XS for more musical genres -- especially jazz and classical.  The bass is somewhat elevated, but there is less of a midrange dip than that in the M100.  

The M100 has been my go-to can for another activity:  watching TV late at night so as to not disturb the family.  There, the bass boost gives a nice kick for action/sci-fi.  And the XL pads make the M100s super-comfortable for me.  

May 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #581 of 972
My review did go live a little while ago...  Take a look here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/98084/

Quick excerpt into the audio section:

Many audiophiles, after hearing the M-80 were expecting the M-100 to be an over-ear version of the M-80.  It wasn’t…  The XS goes in the opposite direction and becomes more neutral, something a lot of audiophiles wanted the M-100 to do.  This is definitely a good sign.  Overall, the XS retain the warm signature of the M-80, but become just slightly more neutral.  As with the M-100, a pair of V-Corks are included.  These, however, are shaped more like a headphone jack and pretty much universal.  They are supposed to help with misbalanced sound with dual inputs.

VCork.jpg

More specifically, when we get into the bass regions, we find that the XS keeps itself well controlled throughout, although it does have a slight mid-bass hump that it inherits from the M-80, it’s smaller and more controlled though.  Bass depth is improved over the predecessor as bass does dig deeper textures beautifully.  Bass impacts are strong and thicker while the midbass isn’t the tightest and holds average speed.

The midrange holds a very nice medium between laid back and aggressive, it’s actually a good middle ground though as it keeps the XS inviting while not ridding of any details.  That said, the detailing is all there while the clarity is gorgeously rendered giving the upper midrange that bit of energy it needs.  Vocals were something that the M-80 did well, and that is another thing that the XS inherits from it.  Vocals are dynamic allowing them to get lush while also being able to go up high.

As we go up into the treble range, we find that this is where the sound does take a slight step back like the M-80, but to a lesser degree.  The lower treble holds good extension though could be slightly better in some places.  It also details well and has OK presence overall.  V-MODA states that the XS does extend in the treble better than the M-80, and I’ll admit it does, but the upper highs just don’t seem to hold enough presence or power unfortunately.  Separation and clarity (in notes) are done fantastically though.

If you want some pretty pictures, they are in the review as well. 

What camera did you use? :anguished:

May 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #583 of 972
May 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #584 of 972
I have the XS and the M100 too and can compare them for different situations.  

I find the XS is perfect for walking about.  It does not isolate as much as the M100, but that is a good thing when cars are around.  :)  
The portability is really amazing, too.  The case for the XS is very flat compared to that of the M100 and fits in a backpack easily.  

I also like the sound of the XS for more musical genres -- especially jazz and classical.  The bass is somewhat elevated, but there is less of a midrange dip than that in the M100.  

The M100 has been my go-to can for another activity:  watching TV late at night so as to not disturb the family.  There, the bass boost gives a nice kick for action/sci-fi.  And the XL pads make the M100s super-comfortable for me.  

I rarely, if ever, take my M100s out of the house anymore.

May 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #585 of 972
Looks really nice. I should get my macro lenses out.
I have a Nikon D3200.

Thanks :)  You should.  The V-Modas are great for photos.  The glittery white would work better (with a dark backdrop) though XD 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back