V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
May 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #542 of 972
Isn't that a general truth about most any type of fan(atic), though?
yep. Bronies, otakus, gamers, techies, etc. They all have those few guys or girls that will attack others. It will always happen, no matter what it is that people are fans of. Any company, any tv show, any phone, any computer... Everything will always be subject to criticism at some point, and that criticism will always be met with hostility from at least one person.

May 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #544 of 972

You're right about it being "colder" sounding (to me, this kind of sound is what I call neutral, and detailed), but when it drives the XS's the treble becomes overly fatiguing, and the bass is a bit anemic. My other hp's don't have this problem with the Touch.
Anyways, my point is, the XS sounds much better to me through external dac's/amps. If any V-Moda fanboys disagree, then that's fine. It's just my impression/opinion as I've maintained all along.
I get the impression V-moda fans get a bit antsy when there's any criticism of the brand or it's products (not referring to you).

I actually don't think the treble is fatiguing with the XS...  It still isn't enough.  Coming from the M-80, it helps, but isn't a true solution unfortunately.  I agree, the bass can seem a bit anemic at times.

All headphones sound better with a DAC/AMP upgrade, they all do scale XD  That's expected. 

May 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #545 of 972

Isn't that a general truth about most any type of fan(atic), though?

Yeah, sporting teams, car brands, etc. It seems a bit odd to me that it would be applicable to a headphone company. I guess V-Moda have done a great marketing job in this respect.

I'm a fan of Audio Technica. but I don't take it personally or get upset if people crticize their products.

May 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #546 of 972

I actually don't think the treble is fatiguing with the XS...  It still isn't enough.  Coming from the M-80, it helps, but isn't a true solution unfortunately.  I agree, the bass can seem a bit anemic at times.

All headphones sound better with a DAC/AMP upgrade, they all do scale XD  That's expected. 

The treble issue seems to be source dependant. It happens when paired with the Touch.
You strike me as a high frequency freak
gs1000.gif

It's true all/most hp's benefit from amping, but the XS's seem to benefit from stronger amping  when compared with standard portable sources (eg Touch , S3...even my Cowon D3) in a relatively dramatic fashion. It's not always the volume that's the problem...the sound can also seem a bit un-dynamic and flat without a bit of help.

May 2, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #547 of 972

The treble issue seems to be source dependant. It happens when paired with the Touch.
gs1000.gif

It's true all/most hp's benefit from amping, but the XS's seem to benefit from stronger amping  when compared with standard portable sources (eg Touch , S3...even my Cowon D3) in a relatively dramatic fashion. It's not always the volume that's the problem...the sound can also seem a bit un-dynamic and flat without a bit of help.

LOL, I'd want the treble on the XS bumped a dB or two with slightly better extension :p  Possibly the bass at times...  Though when listening at home, it's a lot better than when I'm out and about (for the bass that is). 

May 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #548 of 972

gs1000.gif

i don't think he's alone, i want more treble as well, the treble on the xs is very articulate but i guess i prefer just a bit more v shape response, i want a bit more subbass and more treble extension (a more sparkly and shimmery treble) while leaving the forward mids alone

basically what i'm saying is i want the m100s bass and treble with the xs's midrange essentially. maybe in a formfactor a bit bigger than the xs but smaller than the m100s so its like still on ear but bigger (the xs is really small for an on ear) maybe along the size of the sennheiser momentums or a shade smaller. 

LOL, I'd want the treble on the XS bumped a dB or two with slightly better extension :p  Possibly the bass at times...  Though when listening at home, it's a lot better than when I'm out and about (for the bass that is). 

i agree when out and about sometimes just sometimes the bass is not enough and i agree with the treble extension i want more 

May 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #549 of 972
i don't think he's alone, i want more treble as well, the treble on the xs is very articulate but i guess i prefer just a bit more v shape response, i want a bit more subbass and more treble extension (a more sparkly and shimmery treble) while leaving the forward mids alone

basically what i'm saying is i want the m100s bass and treble with the xs's midrange essentially. maybe in a formfactor a bit bigger than the xs but smaller than the m100s so its like still on ear but bigger (the xs is really small for an on ear) maybe along the size of the sennheiser momentums or a shade smaller. 
i agree when out and about sometimes just sometimes the bass is not enough and i agree with the treble extension i want more 

That would be the ideal headphone! Perhaps it could be released in an around the ear form factor as well!

May 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #550 of 972
I personally just want a tad bit more of both, but not enough to make it v-shaped (like the M-100). 

May 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #552 of 972
I think that headphone exists by the name of NAD VISO HP50. Anyone with first hand experience?

HP50's midrange is a little warmer than the XS, it lacks energy IMO.

Also, it's not V-shaped by any means.

May 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #555 of 972
Thanks. How does the sound compare to Beyerdynamic custom one pro and audio-technica's m50x?

I can give it a shot from memory from when I've heard these. The Beyer Custom Ones are darker and much more bassy, even at their lowest setting. The XS are much more linear in general and (for myself) much more enjoyable.

The M50x probably have similar bass with a bit more recessed mids, but they may have a bit more "edgyness" to them, and slightly more treble extension. Think a more V shaped sound. Again the XS are more linear with better mids and generally softer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back