V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Apr 15, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #406 of 972
What happened to your XS exactly? The reason the LPs, M-80, M-100 and XS exist are because Val Kolton used to destroy headphones all the time while he was DJing and got sick of it so he designed his own headphones to survive the kind of abuse he put them through. One ear, around the neck, tossed into a bag, dropped off a sweaty head, disconnected cables, etc., hence the mil-std build quality.

And thanks.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #407 of 972
Did the slickfold mechanism break?  Or did the slider break?  I don't see them breaking because you adjusted it. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #409 of 972
That is worrying to hear!

I just received my V-MODA XS after over two weeks.  Had to pay £36 customs. ;(

Also more disappointing to see the purple audio cable missing!! I got the shields though.  It was written on the website when ordering and stipulated on the order form but NO purple cable in sight.  

Just had a quick listen and they do sound different to the M80.  If the driver is the same and not been tweeked then the difference must be down to the fit I'd imagine.

Closer in sound signature to the M100 but still miles apart.  M100 sound is def more juicer and that's the one i prefer. Just my initial reaction of course.  Don't usually like on ears, but these things are comfy, very light and fit around the neck extremely well well not in use.

Have emailed them about the cable.  What are the chances they will send one lonely cable to me? ;/

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #411 of 972
Here's a shot of my Matte Black XS sporting the matte silver shields of friend's White Silver XS.

And her White Silver XS with custom gold shields sporting a fairy.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #412 of 972
  I got a callback from American Ninja Warrior last Friday and was informed I'll be competing in the qualifying round (not televised) in May. It will be less than a month before my inevitable fall into the murky waters lining the underside of the Ninja Warrior obstacle course. My only hope is that the fall takes place during my run on the 2nd obstacle course and not the opening one. To commence my first day of training I decided to take my XS out for a run and some light exercise/parkour drills. In the 65 degrees of early evening Brooklyn, the XS performed as well as I envision myself doing on Ninja Warrior. They held on until they no longer could.

For my half-mile jog to the bank I noticed no slippage, though in hotter conditions sweat may play a yet untested role. Microphonics, from both the SpeakEasy cable and my footfalls could be heard, though the added task of running, obeying traffic laws, and dodging cars and pedestrians left me little time to notice unless I specifically listened for it. There was also noticeable wind noise. After the run I wandered over to a park equipped with pull-up and parallel bars, inclined benches, balance beams and the like and went through some pull-ups, push-ups, wrist-ups, bar spins, and muscle ups and while the XS never slipped off, it did at times get pulled whenever the SpeakEasy cable, tucked inside my hoodie, was pressed against the bar. An example would be when I do a pull-up and my chest touches the bar pinning the cable between myself and the bar which causes a slight pull on the headphones. However, this problem isn't specific to the XS as all headphones with a cable, including IEMs, will have similar effects when stressed in this way.

Next, I did some light parkour. This included vaulting onto and over a railing, walking on the top of a fence, cartwheeling over a bench and leaping off of an elevated platform landing in a tuck and roll. Save for the roll, the XS stayed on my head with very little shifting throughout my training. Even during the roll where it slipped off my ears, the headphone was still clinging to my head and it only ended up around my neck when I consciously reached out, mid-roll, to put it there just in case it decided to swan dive off of me and do a roll of its own. I think for most normal eXerciSe the XS will perform fine. I know because it's cartwheel tested.

Just a thought. XerciS sounds like a cool name for a sports headphone. It's almost Italian looking and reading it phonetically it almost sounds Italian. How about a campaign asking, "What does XS mean to you?"

Val?

Wow, I watch NW all the time and I know you said your part may not be televised, but good luck! Maybe Val should invent a sweatproof/water resistant/waterproof in ear headphone if that's at all possible to sport at the NW camp! Ok maybe not lol, but good luck still!

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #413 of 972

Wow, I watch NW all the time and I know you said your part may not be televised, but good luck! Maybe Val should invent a sweatproof/water resistant/waterproof in ear headphone if that's at all possible to sport at the NW camp! Ok maybe not lol, but good luck still!

Thanks Jimmy!

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #414 of 972
Just got mine in. Unboxed but at work so I haven't tested them out yet. I may just take em home to listen to for lunch lol. Quickly replaced my shields and BAM!!

Funny thing is, I ordered on April 14th and I got them in today! And that's with the custom shields!! How awesome fast is that?!? Anyway, here is my pics of my M-100s with customs with my new customs :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #415 of 972
  Just got mine in. Unboxed but at work so I haven't tested them out yet. I may just take em home to listen to for lunch lol. Quickly replaced my shields and BAM!!

Funny thing is, I ordered on April 14th and I got them in today! And that's with the custom shields!! How awesome fast is that?!? Anyway, here is my pics of my M-100s with customs with my new customs :)

the ones on your white m100s are nicer (imo ahha) but i think the design should have been bigger more along with the size dimension difference between the m100s and the xs

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #416 of 972
  the ones on your white m100s are nicer (imo ahha) but i think the design should have been bigger more along with the size dimension difference between the m100s and the xs

Well I did tell them to max out the size as best they could and I think managed it pretty well. I am happy with them for free lol.

Apr 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #417 of 972
Btw, something I forgot to mention in my review, and I'm sure a lot of you figured it out by now (those who have XS) - the pad placement inside earcups is NOT symmetrical.  It's angled toward the front.  Which means, you can ONLY wear these headphones L/R and can't flip them R/L.  That is a key of how easy they go on without a need of too much adjustment and sliding across the top of your ear to find that sweet spot.  It goes on like a glove!

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #418 of 972
  Btw, something I forgot to mention in my review, and I'm sure a lot of you figured it out by now (those who have XS) - the pad placement inside earcups is NOT symmetrical.  It's angled toward the front.  Which means, you can ONLY wear these headphones L/R and can't flip them R/L.  That is a key of how easy they go on without a need of too much adjustment and sliding across the top of your ear to find that sweet spot.  It goes on like a glove!

yup apparently the m80 had this as well so i don't think this is the contributing factor for comfort

regardless its immensely comfortable for an on ear 

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #420 of 972
Here's a shot of my Matte Black XS sporting the matte silver shields of friend's White Silver XS.

And her White Silver XS with custom gold shields sporting a fairy.

Holy crap i never thought of that matte black xs with the silver sheilds soo nice

But im absolutely drooling over ur friends white xs with gold sheilds. My pair is the same combo but her custom fairy logo looks amazing. Im actually googling a pegasus version of that kinda logo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back