V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Sep 5, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #1,381 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robust² /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my 2nd Gen Vibes today, and they do have less clarity then my 1G, but I do like that they have more bass and a bit more isolation or is that just because I used V-Moda Remixes while my vibes were gone?
tongue.gif

Edit: With the Treble Booster EQ on my iPod the sound is fine imo, without it it's a bit too bass heavy, and I really like the new design of the plug, way better (and not only the sound and the plug changed, the color did too :/)

what do u mean that the color changed? do they look less gold/greenish now? is it more grey/black ?? do you have any pics?

thanx!

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #1,382 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a question mark for a bit as to what they've been up to. They haven't released the new products they said they would, and Val hasn't been on here for a while, where he used to be fairly active. So who knows, but for the record the card doesn't do much, I've never seen anything from it.

*Not that this indicates that the company may be in trouble, it just indicates a priority shift.

Okay, thanks for a logical explanation.
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #1,383 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiReSToRM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do u mean that the color changed? do they look less gold/greenish now? is it more grey/black ?? do you have any pics?

thanx!

Yeah something like that, kinda hard to describe the color, but definitely less goldish

Pics:

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #1,387 of 1,475
There's an extra hole in the back on the black part, the pre-productions had it, so they thought it would hep the true second gen, which somehow had more bloated bass than the second. That one was the real mystery. It didn't help much.

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #1,388 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robust² /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah something like that, kinda hard to describe the color, but definitely less goldish

Pics:

Wow, those look like a darker version of the Flashback Chromes...

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #1,389 of 1,475
So, is it better to buy the 1st gen or the 2nd gen ? Amazon has both of them and the 1st gen is cheaper too. Also...should I get the Vibe or Bose in ear? I'm thinking to buy one of them for a gift to my friend.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #1,390 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3sH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is it better to buy the 1st gen or the 2nd gen ? Amazon has both of them and the 1st gen is cheaper too. Also...should I get the Vibe or Bose in ear? I'm thinking to buy one of them for a gift to my friend.

Definitely first gen, and Vibes over Bose in-ear. I have the first gen and it makes me wonder why they're getting "bashed" all over here.

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #1,392 of 1,475
There appears to be two listings. The cheaper one uses the old photos, thusly we can assume they are the older Vibes. The more expensive ones use the newer photos, so we can assume they the new ones.

You have to remember though, there were multiple versions of the "first gen". The pre-production were apparently not at all like the production, very light on the bass in comparison, not much known about these since they are very rare. The first production model was good too, copious bass, but it was tight and controlled, or somewhat controlled. The second production is apparently where all the bad reviews came from, it isn't clear what happened here, but the bass was less controlled. I believe the third change came when they added another port that you can't see in the back, the pre-production had this, so they figured this would help bring the sound back. Then the fourth change came with the strain relief and the black pouch for the first time. Finally we come to the current one, the first major visible change, with the new Duo style plug. The positive comments makes it look like these are another good one.

So that is the summary of real generation and changes as I remember it, you can find out more by reading basically every page of the thread, but it is a lot less simple than first and second gen. I would go with the current one. The consensus on it is that it is pretty good again, whereas with the older one you'll probably get the most recent of the "first" gen, which is better than the second iteration, but not as good as the first and possibly not even as good as the current one.

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #1,393 of 1,475
I have some of the preproduction and they are pretty good. The bass, as mentioned is not as powerful but I do not find this distracting as it does not take away from the lower mids and it does not muddy the sound. They do need some play time to warm up and sound good, and this is between uses as well not just the "burn-in" period. I have found them to hold up very well and have no issues with any wire problems or defects but there aren't that many out there. I bought 3 sets before I starting finding out about the line and the fact that these basically came out the back door of the factory where Vibes are produced.

Sep 8, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #1,395 of 1,475
Amazon should be your best bet. Just get the more expensive one in one of the regular colors (gunmetal or flashback) and you should be fine. Or you could go through V-Moda's website, but you'll pay more through there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back