V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Jan 7, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #376 of 1,475
I look forward to seeing the red Vibes in person. Red and black have always been to of my favorite colors along with black and red. Blue is up there too but I like the slant Moda is taking by getting some real style into a truly functional set of IEM's. I do wish though an xtra small ear piece was made as my ear canal is small and even the small size ear pieces are tight.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #377 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
piano jazz - u shouldn't use amplification with vibes. They won't benefit...tried already. They do benefit from sources like you won't believe though.

Thanks, Malos. I thought that might be the case. I've been considering the ER-4S for the Zen Vision M I got for Christmas, matched with a Hornet or Tomahawk. I just might pick up the vibes and see how I like them. The money saved might be better spent improving my home unit.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #378 of 1,475
The reason that switching tips doesn't make a difference is because these aren't traditional IEM's; they are MINI OPEN-BACK CANS.

It's both unnecessary and impossible to get a seal with these. In fact, it defeats the purpose of the open back.

That's why these are the only in-ears I have bought that I will keep. They sound so great because these Vibes think they're Grados or Senns, not Shures or Etys.

I have subsidized the purchase of many an ebay buYer in my resale of e5c's all the way down to e2c's, all the Ety's, Altec Lansing's Ety's, etc. They all sounded too compressed and two-dimensional to me. They all flattened the sound of my ipod.

IEM-haters of the world, your mini open-ear headphones have arrived!!!

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #379 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeluiz22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason that switching tips doesn't make a difference is because these aren't traditional IEM's; they are MINI OPEN-BACK CANS.

It's both unnecessary and impossible to get a seal with these. In fact, it defeats the purpose of the open back.

That's why these are the only in-ears I have bought that I will keep. They sound so great because these Vibes think they're Grados or Senns, not Shures or Etys.

I have subsidized the purchase of many an ebay buYer in my resale of e5c's all the way down to e2c's, all the Ety's, Altec Lansing's Ety's, etc. They all sounded too compressed and two-dimensional to me. They all flattened the sound of my ipod.

I would have to agree. Exciting product that really delivers and doesn't cost a morgage payment. Well a morgage payment of 25 years ago. Geez I date myself.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #380 of 1,475
Quote:

Right on all counts. But I did learn that a tight fit is important. There is a certain sweet spot of snug fit and proximity of driver to eardrum where the Vibes come right into their own. Someone in here made a comment about the outside noise being detached from the sound of the Vibes and I finally found that sweet spot. It's quite cool. The soundstage is sitting suspended above the head (and forward since I use crossfeed) and the sound of the subway is somewhere "out there". It's very nice.

Get them snug is my recommendation.

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #381 of 1,475
how is the sound leak of the vibes? can others hear the music you re listening to?

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #382 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the sound leak of the vibes? can others hear the music you re listening to?

at normal listening levels and below - no. i've worn mine to bed and my wife can't hear them at all. a friend of mine tried mine on and i couldn't hear anything. i have heard of people say at elevated levels that if someone is nearby they will hear some leakage.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #388 of 1,475
Quote:

They sound so great because these Vibes think they're Grados or Senns, not Shures or Etys.

I really like the noise isolation of my Etys ER6i, but I really don't like their "between the ears" soundstage. I realise that in order to get a more open soundstage I need to compromise on the noise isolation. Several people commented that the v-modas are ok for inner city use but some say that there is too much outside noise interference (bus,train, etc), I am confused.

VAL, there are now 4 colour schemes, ie that's 300% more than most other competitors, how likely is it that there wil be more colours coming out over the next few months? I really love blue....and I have a black 2G nano.......
cool.gif

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #389 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
getting a good fit with IEMs is a very individual thing but if you can get a good seal with silicone tips, they are always going to be quicker and easier to insert than foamies. whether the vibes with silicone tips are easier/faster to insert than other IEMs with silicone tips i can only say compared to shure E2C, E3C, E4, senn's CX300 - no.

can anyone confirm this? I Because just got the vibes and I can just stick them in without thinking without any problems. It takes like half a second to put them on, while when other people talk about other iems it sounds like you have to insert them carefully and fiddle around with them.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #390 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone confirm this? I Because just got the vibes and I can just stick them in without thinking without any problems. It takes like half a second to put them on, while when other people talk about other iems it sounds like you have to insert them carefully and fiddle around with them.

I'd like to know as well because it seems they don't really go in too far. Also, I've noticed that if I push down on the silicon tips while they are on the headphones, that the silicon tips will go back and stay that way. Are you supposed to push them in so that this happens?

Also, anybody else ear's get itchy? I'm not sure, but I think having these in makes my ears produce more wax as well. Is this a common problem with these types of ear phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back