V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Nov 17, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #17 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this suppose to look good or sound good? Moda in italian and maybe in spanish (not to sure) means fashion. This doesn't give me much confidence in their focus towards sound quality.

ROFL, ever heard the expression "don't juge a book by it's cover"?

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 1,475
cant wait for them to be available here in the philippines!

cant wait!
cant wait!

etysmile.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #19 of 1,475
I wouldn't want to be rude, but Val Kolton is a detail-obsessed, quality-driven sound junkie perfectionist. He has visual and fashion sense, sure, but I'll bet that he rides the external design team far less hard than he rides those responsible for ensuring that the sound meets his expectations.

These are phones that actually sound even better than they look - and they look da.mned good!

Nov 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this suppose to look good or sound good? Moda in italian and maybe in spanish (not to sure) means fashion. This doesn't give me much confidence in their focus towards sound quality.

Believe me drspeed85, I would not have given them such high praise just for their looks. And I sure wouldn't have went to the trouble to make this review if they only looked good. The Vibes have to be heard to be appreciated...

Ply

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 1,475
Have to agree with Ply. I got my pair yesterday and they sound awesome, the bass is better than any other pair of IEMs that I have ever heard. There are couple of minor issues with them though that I have noticed, I am wondering if anyone else had the same issues:
1) The sleeves seem way too soft and don't seal well. I use large ones and I had to switch to the sleeves from EX81s instead.
2) I got gunmetal black ones and I though they will be greyish-black, but they they actually look more green than anything to me.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ply, for a first timer with IEM, would you suggest the Vibes over the cx300?

I own both and am relatively new to IEM's (canalphones, whatever.....)

The sound quality, ease of handling and lack of microphonics make the Vibe the easy winner in every category but one:

The CX300's are significantly more isolating. In some situations, that's a good thing, but one reason I went to this style of device is for plane rides. I plan to take both on my next plane journey and see if the CX300's greater isolation is worth the sacrifice in sound quality.

I'll try and put down more detailed thoughts on the Vibe later today.

Right now I'm listening to the Allman Brothers Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival and they sound fan f'ing tastic. There's a melody in "Mountain Jam" repeated in unision by the two guitars and organ. You can hear each distinctly, but not to the point of distraction.

-- Thing

Nov 17, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 1,475
The V-Moda Vibes look great,i'll wait for some in the field reviews after they've been out awhile,for now i'm going with another pair of Shure E2C's that started vibrating in the left earpiece,they almost 3 years old, i'v been very hard on them and feel kinda like i owe Shure my money.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 1,475
Nice review and a lot of pics. For being a rather "third-party" budget phone, they seem to do very well. Now I'd expect them to do better than, say, the Sonys and Creative models but better than the UM2 and Super.Fi 5? That's saying a lot...I wonder how they compare to the E4's?

Also, I want to see them compared to those new Bose in-ears too...they seem to be more on the same level.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #26 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) I got gunmetal black ones and I though they will be greyish-black, but they they actually look more green than anything to me.

Agreed. I thought they would be a greyish color, but to my eyes, they have a slight greenish/gold color.

Overall I am very happy with them. I like the fact that they have less isolation than my UM2s. These will be good for when I need to hear a little bit of my surroundings. I am probably going to return the Tri-Port IE's and keep the Vibes. Within my 12 or so hours of listening, I am very, very pleased.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #27 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I want to see them compared to those new Bose in-ears too...they seem to be more on the same level.

In terms of detail, mid & highs, I have to say the Vibes smoke the IE's. In terms of Bass, the IE is better than the Vibe. It is fuller and punchier on the IE. I'll trade off some of the bass for better mids, highs and detail.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #28 of 1,475
Good review, great pics ... thanks for taking the time over those! It sounds like this product is too close to the ies to get me to invest just at the moment, but the look of the V-modas is great and it's nice to hear that they deliver on sound quality as well.

I was nevertheless surprised that you rate Operation Mindcrime 2 so highly: I love the first album (really one of my favourite rock albums ever) but I thought that the new one just sounded like a musical anagram ... the Tubular Bells 2 of soft prog.

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 1,475
but u gotta give it to val's fashion sense though, these things are great.
the only iem that does not look like i have a hearing aid or something :wink: (and goes well with my general darkish look).

Iono if these things have a burn in factor or my ears have a burn in factor...but after 2-3 days (at first it was not completely that way) but I am starting to agree with plywood's review completely. The quality is just extremely musical, and they are much better on volume rather than other iems.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 1,475
Chanthing,

I seem to have tried every major IEM you can mention in aircraft cabins, and only an active noise cancellation system will really cut the mustard - I've given up the search, and now keep a cheap set of ANR phones in the laptop bag that I use for overseas travel, along with my other carry-on stuff (passport, etc.)

The exceptions are some of the real hyper-isolating phones like the ER6i - but as a pilot myself I just can't bring myself to deliberately seal my ear canals that efficiently in a pressurised aircraft cabin.

They do make it more difficult to clear your ears (especially in a rapid descent) and the consequences of some clown pressurising or depressurising the cabin too quickly could be worrying - let alone an explosive decompression in the event of an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back